sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Pansie - I'm doing the Silverstone half next weekend and I'm hoping to go under 2hours, which you've already achieved, which is excellent. I went to a Runner's world marathon training camp in January and they said that you shouldn't really race more than 16/18 miles before the marathon (although you might go that far in training) as it takes too much out of your body. however, if you're doing it 5/6 weeks before you should have enough time to recover if you only do one of the 20m races. re tapering, they suggested running 3/2/1 hours on the last 3 weekends before the marathon.
  • Just got back from long run to. Only 15 miles today as had viral gastroenteritis earlier in the week Managed 20 mmiles last saturday-but god didnt I feel kn*****ed after! I had been hoping to crack sub 4.14 or even sub 4 this year but realistically its looking more like sub 4.30
  • Haven't posted for a while, week before last was harder because of snow/cold and then I missed my long run last Sunday (did half of it) due to a wedding (beer!) the night before it.

However, this week has been good - have been away on a course where I grew up (York) and managed 3 training runs around my old haunts and have completed 16.3 miles today which pleased me - the last mile was hard but then it always is no matter how far I run so it must be in my mind. Plus, only very minor niggles which is good.

Those questioning their fitness seem to be running a bl**dy long way to me! I am sure you will be fine - the advise on this weeks FLM newsletter sounded good 'if this is your first marathon your goal should be to complete, not compete'. Sounds good to me.

I think I am now the only one who has not tried joosters! I will though before the big day!
  • Hi all, new to the forum but have read it all with interest.

Paul, have you done the Ashby 20 before, i am up for it but after reading an Ashby 20 forum I am now getting a bit nervous! This will be my longest run, did a 14.7 mile in 2hr 14min and a 1/2 marathon last weekend in 1hr 59min, will be doing a 17 miler on Sunday. Any tips for the 20 miler.

As yet I haven't tried the jooster track, I haven't tried anything other than lucozade sport drinks, but I think I'll give it a go before Ashby.
  • Sorry, Claire, I'm not going to be much help here. It is the first time that I'm going to run the Ashby 20. According to the race booklet, it doesn't seem too hard and I know that they changed the course a few years ago - when it used to include some nasty hills.

If you're already doing 17 miles, you're way ahead of me and should do fine. I'll be a long way behind you.

My brother is coming up to do it with me but, since he's been recently injured, will only do the first 10 mile loop with me. If yesterday's run is anything to go by, I might struggle on the second loop.
  • Dear All,

My Timex HRM arrived on Friday so looking forward to a long run with it today. Just wondered, what sort of zone should you be in when you're doing your long run? I wondered if Zone 2 is too slow?

Any help appreciated.

Best,

Chris
  • Managed a long run of 15.42 miles today in 2h50m. Stayed at friends last night so ran home this morning. Some bloomin' massive hills by the way.

Also got new shoes during the week Mizuno 6's anyone tried these. Went on a 3 mile run in them yesterday and they felt quite good.
  • Did my 16.7 miles in 2h43min, and am now really stiff! did 8 min run, 1 min walk and felt pretty good, until you stop completely that is!
  • 19.5 miles in 3:10 for me today, had to take a detour from my planned route and ended up doing about 4 miles through a muddy wood. Made the last 5 miles very tricky with heavy legs and even heavier running shoes.....
  • Hi Claire - think I 'met' you on Roding forum. I did 17.1 miles yesterday, walking a minute every mile. Walk breaks were a bit more frequent in last few miles though! Makes a massive difference. Managed 2hrs 51.

I just can't believe how tired I am getting. Spent most of yesterday doing nothing after the run. Everyone I know doing the marathon is down with flu so I'm going to be super careful as feeling a bit run down at the moment.

I'm so completely off my training schedule due to injury / illness earlier this year. Not sure what maximum mileage to do. What is everyone else going up to?
  • Holly-go-lightly,
    well done on your run yesterday. Go carefully, as you sound like how I was feeling last year at this point. I continued to push myself and ended up coming down with glandular fever, even then I tried to carry on and got myocarditis (inflammed heart muscle) and had to defer to this year. As soon as you start feeling tired esp if you have sore throat, swollen glands etc just take some time off. Thats what I have done this year and I feel so much better for it and when I do get out, my training is of better quality. I have felt tired a few times and have occasionally dropped mid week sessions. I feel much fitter for it and then when it comes to my LSD runs I have felt fine.
    Its getting so close now. Once youve got 17 miles under you're belt you WILL get round on the day. I am not doing any longer than 20 mile long run. I have done 16,16,18,20,15(step back week this week). I plan to just do another 15 next week as its my hubbies 40th party celebrations. I shall then do one more 18 & 20. I am not bothering about how long it takes me each time- good luck and go carefully
  • Jonah - sounds exactly like my long run this week. don't know the exact distance but it was 3hr10 on Wed when it was freezing and I went out without gloves or jacket and the towpath between Barnes & Putney Bridges was a mudpool - must be good training though as FLM isn't known for its muddy conditions! After that run, although I could hardly crawl up the stairs, for the first time ever I could vaguely visualise crossing the marathon finishing line!

Sounds to me like everyone is doing similar runs in similar times - good effort all round!
  • Banana

Used Joosters for the first time today, don't know if they work as a kind of placebo but they definately helped me up the hills, but they stick in your teeth and you spend the next mile picking them out, well at least it takes your mind off your aching legs! I managed to find them in my local corner shop which was pretty lucky at 9am this morning!
  • Claire - there is a jooster technique I've discovered that avoids the need to take toothpicks with you on your run!

You need to do a couple of quick bites then move it to the side of your mouth where it will melt so you don't have to use up valuable breathing effort to chew it!
  • Completed 20 mile race today! V pleased - 3:10:33, but not sure how to keep that going for another hr - floating between sub 4:15 (dream on!!) and sub 4:30 (Maybe!)
    Tips for 20 miler:_

DON"T start fast!! We started at 9:30 miling, it felt a bit slow, but paid off as from mile 12 with this constant pacing we were overtaking people! (Something I am fairly unaccustomed to!!)

EAT!! I was feeling an energy dip at mile 14 but ate half a cereal bar and it did help

DRINK!! I used lucozade sport all way round, as thats what they ofer at FLM, but also took on water at virtually every opportunity.

RUN WITH SOMEONE SAME PACE - i ran with friend and we definitely kept each other going

FINALLY - celebrate the achievement!! Whatever the finish time, its 20 miles under your belt and thats BRILL! If you can complete that distance you can definitely finish on 17th April!

(My wine is chilling!)
  • Billie - thanks for the sound and reassuring advice. I had glandular fever 6 years ago and have heard it can reoccur when you run your body down and put it under stress as the virus stays with you for life. The thought of it coming back will definitely make me take it easy now! I'll see how I'm feeling at the weekend before deciding on what (or whether to) long run to do.

Good luck with your training - you sound like you have got it all very under control!
  • been lurking but thought i'd chip in now that i'm actually doing something, rather than looking out the window and wondering whether i should try and break the kenyans early on, or whether it would be better to sit on their shoulder and just grind them down...

anyway, sounds like everyone is bang on track for getting round without defibrilation, and that's the main point. and if you don't make 4:30, then try and hang on for about 4:57:58, as that's the time i did in 2003, and at the very end of the marathon highlights programme they ended it with a shot of the finish line at 4:57:58... apart from being mildly embarrassed about being shown on national television being overtaken by Snow White and the 4 dwarves on the line (Grumpy dipped at the last moment), it was nice to boost my media profile.

did 2hr 57m today over epping forest and after last weeks tired, tired legs from doing the Roding Valley Half (which was pretty hilly I thought) and then a run home, the 17.5 miles seemed not too bad. i did eat nearly a whole family-sized packet of Joosters on the way round (which left me feeling as though the colours of the rainbow might appear on the pavement any second), but it cheered me up, as i was getting pretty pesimistic, as i've only been managing 2 runs a week in my training, and wasn't sure that i could actually do 26 miles...

so, joosteritis and slipping on the forest mud aside, it seems to be going ok....

good luck to everyone doing the training, and see you at the line...

fitch
  • Hello to everyone on this thread. I have been reading it for a while and thought it was about time to join in. This will be my first marathon and I am starting to really look forward to it - not long to go now!

Training is going pretty well - managed to run for 3hr 20m on Saturday, which was about 20 miles. Had a pocket full of Joosters, which obviously made the difference! I am running the Silverstone Half this weekend and am hoping to get round in under 2 hours, which would be 10 minutes off my previous PB. Is anyone else running it too? Hope to see you there...
  • morning all!

Sounds like everyone is doing brilliantly, so I'm going to bring the mood down...
    Nah, not really. Although my run at the weekend was not the best it's still further than I've ever gone before. Is anyone else feeling frustrated even though they are doing things they couldn't have comprehended a year ago?

Anyway was aiming for 16 miles in 3 hours, but made it back in 3 hrs 25 m, so not great. It was in a new area near Worcester and the Malverns and was pretty hilly compared to running in SW London, so that's my excuse! The only good thing is I have recovered well and have no aches and pains today! 4 hr 30 is looking like a fading dream but still as long as I make it around I will be happy.

Silverstone next weekend, when of course the goal is 2 hours, but will be happy to finish feeling good.

Keep up the good work everyone, not long left now!
  • Kieran - i don't think you should underestimate the impact of hilly routes. it makes it much more difficult and takes more out of you so will inevitably slow you down but it must be good training and if you're not suffering afterwards then you must be doing something right!

sounds like there are a few of us aiming for sub 2 hours at Silverstone. are there any plans to meet up to run together?
  • That's what I keep telling myself Fifi, it's all the hills fault! At least Silverstone will be flat I suppose!

I think a really good stretching session helped with aching knees and legs, as it was the first time I spent like 20 minutes stretching and it definetly helped.

Not sure how easy it would be to catch up to run together at Silverstone, but I am happy to try, as otherwise I will be running on my own, after my training partner has pulled out!
  • Am also up for Silverstone anad whilst I have great dreams of sub-2hr I fear I'll be closer to 2hr10. Will start off with the RW pacers and see how I go Managed 18 in Richmond Park yesterday in 3 hr 3 mins..but the last mile was living hell. Anyone doing Cranleigh? My training partner has just dropped out (bursitus ?Sp? in her hip -yuk!) so I could do with someone dragging me along!!
  • Hi all,

Done the Reading 1/2 yesterday in 2:05, it was my first 1/2 so was quite pleased although I would have like to break the 2 hour mark. I probably could have pushed myself a bit harder but thought it was best to try and stay injury free for FLM so might pick another 1/2 later in the year and aim for the sub-2hr mark.

Good luck to all doing Silverstone next weekend!
  • Dear All,

Good to hear everyone's going well. Did my first run with a heart rate monitor yesterday which was weird, but great to be able to actually get some feedback on how much effort I was expending. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

Kieran, I've got a lot of hills on my runs and agree with Fifi, they can really take it out of you so don't despair. And don't forget that just being able to run the distances we all seem to be doing is a great achievement in its own right.

Good luck everyone!

Best,

Chris
  • Hi all - dragged myself out of bed early on Sat (for a change) and did 13.1 on treadmill on sat (2:09) and felt great after - no aches or pains.

It's great getting long run out of way early in morning. Had fantastically relaxing day after - lovely and sunny, went to hairdressers, got sports massage, took dog for a walk and just enjoyed the day.....

Have 18.5 this saturday and def gonna try and get it out of way in morning again.
  • Running Saturday morning is definitely the way forward. Gets it over and done with and you can then enjoy the rest of the weekend without that feeling of dread!
  • I managed approx 15m yesterday in 2:30 so was quite pleased. Felt tired for the rest of the day and tired today too, but think that's to be expected really.

Joosters are a big help too so thanks Banana, and the whole stuck in the teeth thing is quite good, gives you something else to think about!!!!

Well done everyone, sounds like we're all getting there - only 6wks to go!!!!!!
  • I'm not sure I agree that running in the morning is better. I tend to be so knackered after my long runs that all I want to do is sleep or chill out. I can't get anything done work wise afterwards, so the later I run, the more chance I have of getting things done in the morning. If I run in the morning, the rest of the day is a wash-out. Maybe it's because I'm not as experienced as other people. I certainly don't run them too fast!

Anyway, also doing the Silverstone half and also want to break 2 hrs but have decided to stay at the back of the 9 min milers in case I find it's too fast, then I can drop back and join the 10 min milers.
  • Might see you there Bananna as my plan was much the same. Can't see me doing 13 9 min miles, but hey we've gott o aim high! Re running in the morning - I like the idea but how do you guys do it? - get up at the crack of dawn to eat? - or ....horror!....not eat first? - can't even do a 4 miler without food first thing, and have to let a couple of hours go by before i venture out. Funnily enough, 6am starts on a Saturday don't do it for me!
  • I'm a Saturday run convert. I work Saturdays til 1-ish, then run home.
    It's only 6 miles, so I carry on the canal paths and wind back to Huddersfield until I've done the requisite mialeage.
    I was soooo cold on Saturday - must remember hat and gloves next time, even if I look a prat in them. By the end of 14 miles it was the cold that finished me off, not the running. Still, a long hot bath sorted me out.
    Morale of this story is - don't expect running to keep you warm for hours on end - it doesn't.
    Still - A Sunday with no long run to do made it worthwhile.