sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Sounds like a good plan for Silverstone. I was hoping to stick with the runnersworld pace group for as long as possible and see what happens.

This week I had a big plate of pasta before bed, an energy bar and some Lucozade just before running and then a pocket full of Joosters to keep me going. I certainly don't run at 6am Saturday mornings - 8 is early enough for me!

The problem with these long runs is if you don't start early, you spend the whole day running :-)
  • Arrgh!

Iv'e just seen the picture of me on this page - I've been stretched sideways.
    Now my wife really can call me Fatty!!

I'm off to sulk (and diet).
  • Fifidella - when are you aiming for sub 2?

Polly B - don't panic, you'll be fine. If you were up to 16 then your trainings on track.

I started to panic last week but did an 18 miler this weekend and could have done an extra 2 - so am feeling more confident. Not sure if i'm gonna make 4.30 though as all my long runs are done with a friend who's much slower and the 18 took about 3 hrs 25 mins.

Whats everyone's weekly mileage up to now?
  • Well, I'm feeling better today! I've had my usual shin/calf pain which makes it painful every time my foot hits the pavement. Having another sports massage on Thursday to try and sort this out a bit before the Liverpool half on Sunday.

However, I did around 20/21 miles yesterday or at least I ran for 3 hrs 28 minutes. How are you all so sure of exact distances? I do have a GPS but it keeps conking out so I've given up on it for the time being! I'm now confident I can finish the marathon and think I can go under 4 hrs 30.

I still don't know what to aim for in the half marathon on Sunday. Some people have told me to try and go under 2 hrs but I'm terrified of getting injured as my shin/calf problems get much worse if I run even a little bit faster than 9.30 pace! Before training for the marathon I was fine running 8 minute miles but it's as if the extra mileage is the last straw for my legs and they refuse to go fast without giving me lots of pain!
  • Saturday long runs is definitely the way to go - I am totally converted.... It was great having the whole day to do other stuff and not worrying on Saturday night about getting up the next day to do it.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I have a long run on sunday, I spend all Saturday evening and night worrying and thinking about it.

Bananna - i also be tired after the long run but I just make myself not go to bed and do other stuff instead. During my last marathon, I used to run long on sunday morning, and go to bed on sunday afternoon -i wasted my whole sunday running or sleeping, but this yearI'm determined not to fall into that routine.
  • Pansie - weekly mileage is about 36 miles right now - think its rising a bit but not much. I too managed an 18 miler yesterday..but unlike you could not have done another 2....steps let alone miles! Am v worried about Cranleigh in 2 weeks time as finding another 3 miles seems like asking the earth

Slowlegs - my distance measuring is not exactly hi-tech but was recommended by a serious runner friend (sub 3 marathon man!) and it seems to work - get a piece of string and measure out your distance on a map using the scale measure. I have my 5 mile string, my 7 mile string and now my 18 mile string.... Works a treat!
  • MeIF - I guess you were probably going at a faster pace than me. I was going slower cos i was running with someone else and she kept wanting to stop and walk or at least run very slowly - so that's how i could've managed another 2.

Slowlegs - i always measure a route first by driving it in my car and measuring the route on the mileometer thingie (don't know the actual name!)

CJS - I'm with you totally. We always do our long runs on saturday morning or else I end up dreading the weekend. Sat - gets it out of the way and the weekend can begin
  • I am a sunday morning runner. I don't worry all sat evening, I prefer to call it psyching myself up. It means I actually look forward to getting out there and doing it as I have built up the anticipation. I'm like Loo loo too, an energy bar, lucozade and I am off, munching joosters, gels and maybe a flapjack type thingey (distance dependent) enroute. I found this works for me, but like Banana said I then waste the rest of sunday, but since I work 6 days a week the long run makes me feel I deserve to spend the rest on the day chilling - I didn't move off the sofa at all yesterday afternoon - lovely!!!
  • Pansie - am aiming for sub 2 at Silverstone this weekend - can't believe it's nearly here! I'm not worried about the distance but I am worried about pacing. I've been told that your half marathon time at this stage plus 20mins is a good indicator of your marathon time - hence the target of 2 hours!

perhaps those running at silverstone should meet up around the 9min pacer with a special "sub 4h30 hopefully" logo!!
  • Oh well good luck guys at Silverstone!

I'm doing the Finchley 20 on sunday - was meant to be running with my running partner but judging by saturdays time for 18 i might actually just run on my own to see what i can do.
  • Melf - Richmond Park is hilly and muddy in parts and isn't conducive to faster running but it is good training as anything flat and unmuddy should seem a lot easier!

I'm sure you'll be fine at Silverstone if go with the 9min pace group.

I was considering the Cranleigh 21 ages ago but I was advised not to do more than a 16/18 mile race so close to the marathon itself as you wouldn't have enought time to recover fully before the big day. I'm doing the Kingston 16 the same day but I can see that it would be a confidence booster to complete a 21mile race with a month to go.

Pansie - I'm sure your partner won't want to hold you back and will appreciate that you need to be able to run your own race.

• Fifidella - you're brave, the Kingston is at 8.20 in the morning. FAR too early for me.

• Well I hope my training in richmond park will pay off too! Fifi is right, it's hilly and muddy, and I'm putting that fact down as the main reason I have been slower than just about everyone!

i hope to find my pace at Silverstone on Sunday, think 2 hours will be tough!

I have the Kingston run the following week too (fifi let me know if you need a running buddy!) and then 20 miles the week after before tapering down!

OMG 40 days left, Im scared!!

I ran on Saturday last weekend and enjoyed it, but couldn't face a really early start, as I need breakfast and to ease my way into the day! I'm not sure how I will cope with the early starts at Kingston and the FLM!

Oh well, night off tonight, woo hoo!
  • I'm doing to Kingston Breakfast Run too! Apparently the female runners are the last ones to go off and I was worried I was going to be running on my own at the back, so good to know there will be some others running at the same pace.

I also don't really like the course of 2 laps of 8 miles - I will be tempted to stop after the first one! Am going to try running that one at marathon pace to try and get used to it.
  • Hi all

I seem to be pretty lucky, i enjoy my Sunday mornings, 'me' time, hubby takes daughter swimming for the duration! and also brings me my porridge in bed at 7.15am so I can have it 1 1/2 hours before running!

Am doing Ashby 20 on Sunday, dreading the 3 hours car drive back to Essex after it though. Refuelling with Tuna sarnies at the parents before driving back. Will probably sleep all the way back, don't panic I won't be driving!!

How many miles are you supposed to do as the maximum before the big day, the schedule I'm following says 21 miles week ending 27th March, and I haven't got the schedule yet for the remaining 3 weeks, will it go any further than 21?

Thanks
  • am happy to meet up at Kingston. I've no idea what my marathon pace is but will run at comfortable pace in first half and try and increase for last 3/4 miles if still feeling ok.

Claire - you won't need to go any further than 21 miles - in fact you'll need to cut right back (ie to "taper") in the last 3 weeks to give your body chance to recover.

just realised that I sound like a know-it-all but went to a Marathon Training camp in January that was very informative!
  • I ran Saturday rather than Sunday for the first time this week and really enjoyed it as like others I felt like I still had a weekend. All my runs are early, midweek I am back home by 0730!

I thought about Kingston 16 miler, but want to go a bit further that day plus I don't like laps - running past your home or car makes it too easy to quit! One time I carried on, one time I stopped!

Rather than GPS I am using the mapminder for distances, seems accurate to me. Plus, I think I have found a pace (plod!) that only seems to vary by about 15 secs per mile so I could almost say how far I'd run off time alone now.
  • ugh feeling grotty and have done no exercise since 17 miles on Saturday. Trying to be positive about it and think it is better to be ill now than in 4 weeks time...but it's so frustrating!!!
  • Steve K - that's fantastic getting your mid-week runs finished by 7:30. I wish I could motivate myself to get out of bed in the mornings to do my runs, then I'd have the evenings off, which would be great.
  • Well done all for the uppage in mileage. This is definetely the telling time for us all. I'm off to do 21miles on Sunday in richmond park, and this will be my longest distance, and then I'll taper off.

Has anyone worked out the mile times to do the marathon in 4.30?
  • Just over 10 min miling should bring you in about 4hrs 28ish
  • Are their kilometre markers, or is it all in miles?
  • According to this website:www.copacabanarunners.net/welcome.html if you run 10min miles the whole way you would finish in 4hr 22m. To finish in exactly 4hr 30m you would need to run 10.18min miles.
  • oops silly me but it would give you a little leaway .

I think from the distant memory only every 5km is marked out.
  • Zimchick - FLM definitely has Km markers as well as miles - it was a bit confusing last year until I realised - and then it's bl**dy obvious really, but the Km markers are more discreet.

Still, I suppose I was using my legs, not my brain.

Oh well, I'm off to run home now. Not working tomorrow, so a modestly long run, then the Spen 20 on Sunday (Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire). Long, cold, windy and hilly last year. Can't wait(?)

Happy running everyone.
  • loo loo the 10min mile pacer aims to get you in for a sub 4.30 hence the 10 min miling.
  • Hoping for 4.30 time - did 18miles on Sunday but legs; calves, back of knew and back of thighs ached. Kept up pace really well until last mile. Going for massage to see if that helps - have had no injury issues through running, so fingers crossed. Check my trainers just in case - any other suggestions
  • Wow you guys have been really busy this weekend! I went up to London to visit my chosen charity (Battersea Dogs Home) and at the same time a scary thought occured...the next time I'm in London will be the big day!! Made me think a bit...

Anyway for anyone who's worried about the last 6 weeks following injury or a break (like me!), check out this month's Runner's World, "Run a marathon on only 6 weeks of training"! Amazing!
  • I can't decide what to do with my training this week. The last couple of mornings I've felt a bit more like I'm coming down with something although it's just a little bit of a stuffy nose and a slightly tickly throat. I'm taking all the right stuff but sometimes I feel that I'm just delaying the cold rather than preventing it! Should I do my threshold session tonight or have an exaggerated taper for the half-marathon on sunday?
  • Bananna - i usually run through a stuffy nose and slight sore throat, but if it was any worse, I'd take a day off or so.

They say you should check your resting pulse in the monring and if 5% over - take it easy; if it 10% or more - take the day off. Maybe you should try lying down for a while to try and get your resting pulse and see if you should train or not. Maybe that's a silly idea, but just a thought.