Giving up the booze

Comments

• Amazing to find that just as I'm about to quit the booze (just the usual binge drinking, office nights out thing) I come across this on my email tonight. I'm sabottaging my usual Friday-night-pub-habit tomorrow by going to the hairdressers instead. That Saturday morning run is going to be so good now! Good luck everyone.
  • Since I got into orange juice I think I enjoy nights out more than everyone around me! I dance unstoppably, I have funnier conversations and there's a spark in my eye! Look at me everyone - and all this fun is powered by orange juice! And I enjoy waking up the next day more than my jealous friends!

You're on the right track and the natural highs will keep you there. Go boldly!

ps try rollerdisco on thursday nights - a nightclub where no-one's pissed!
  • Hi all - I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks there's alot to be enjoyed about not drinking!

Have to admit that I feel much better for it - almost 8 weeks in I dont miss it at all and am starting to forget to worry about it when I'm out.

Is true that when you go out it can be more fun cos you're actually enjoying yourself.

My only downfall is when I'm out and not enjoying myself. Sometimes being sober means you see that the night is actually boring! That's more to do with the place your at and the people than drink init!!

Am full of beans today. Have achieved a week of getting up and running a mile before work and also lost a pound - a measly amount but is a loss... I am going to keep the mile a morn up and see if this pound loss each week can be sustained. I'd think I'd died and gone to heavan if it does! Two years stuck on a plateu is no good for a girl!

Tim - wow and well done. I think I'm entering the sod drinking ever again era too. Just dont see the point

Jan - go for it. It's not as hard as you think. Like Jon says nights out are still fun - espacially cos you know that you can get up in the morning and run!

I'm going to see one of my friends tonight who I'd normally get really drunk with and then am with my other group of mates tomorrow who I'd normally get totally drunk and disortderly with... I think they will find it weird to start but then they'll get too drunk to notice me on me cranberry and soda water!!
  • Just thinking aloud again - those of you who've been off booze for a while, what do you do at xmas?

It's on my mind cos it's one of the times when me and my friends treat ourselves (doenst seem like atreat to me now - more like punish ourselves with a huge hangover and big damage to bank balance not to mention training ability!) to champange and such like.

I'm getting my head into not drinking and running all over xmas this year - A FIRST!

Any idea's or thoughts?

I've already seen non-alcoholic popping stuff that would do (means I get to drink out of posh glass and pop a cork - which is part of the enjoyment for me).

• Aptly timed e-mail for me, too, as I've just about managed (finally) to kick the booze... I think. I've tried to give up loads of times, but eventually managed to succeed a few months ago when I was training for a very hilly cross-country 10-miler (my first race ever). The fear of those hills kept me off it (well, except for one beer and one glass of wine in five weeks) and I felt SOO much better, didn't really miss it AND lost loads of weight. Bargain!

Contrary to my expectation, I didn't crack open a bottle of wine the evening after the race, either - or for nearly another week. Not until I went on a day-trip to France (well, you can't go to France without drinking some wine!) and then again a few days later for a big awards do. Both times it made me feel horrible the next day - particularly mentally, I felt utterly, despondently miserable. I have tried having "just a couple" of drinks since then, which amazingly I have achieved because I never used to be able to stop at just one or two, but even just a couple makes me feel awful now and I'm training for another event so I think I will just knock it on the head.

Friends' reactions have been mixed - I've always been an enthusiastic drinker! - but not as negative as I'd feared. It helps that my husband is working silly hours so we don't have much of a social life anymore!

I had tried loads of times to give it up before, though, and always failed miserably - I think it's partly a question of getting the timing right. To me, it's just not worth feeling horrible for anymore, and as I'm trying to improve my fitness, it seems counter-productive to go out drinking.

I'm sure there are lots of people who can drink and train, but not me!

Right, I'm off to read the remaining 12 pages of this thread now, erm, I mean, go back to work now that my lunch hour is over...
  • Cakehole - good news!! I was a total believer that you couldnt live without drink. Not addicted in my head just that nights out were boring if not completly trollied and slurring for england.

I do feel much better and I have no craving for drink

I am green with envy on the weight score, I havent lost a bean!! Well that's not totally true - this week I lost but cos I've been training am to try and kick start my metabolism and fat burning capability!

I do agree that it's well worth it and because I've got my running that I want to do and improve it is a good excuse not to drink!

I just splashed £35 on some running kit - I would rather do that than put £35 into someone's till in exchange for lot's of loo visit's, making a pratt of myself and getting a big headache!!
  • Just made it through my first Friday night without a drink for I don't know how long. Almost wavered and did think 'just one won't hurt' but I kept reminding myself of the run tomorrow morning and found I was actually enjoying my night in.

Egglett, I think you've really started something here!

Have a great Saturday everyone.
  • Egglett - what a fantastic thread! It's amazing how many people seem to drink under duress...

I have reduced my drinking to a 'sensible level' - just 9 or 10 units a week but couldn't contemplate total abstinance. Obviously at this level (one or two glasses of wine or a couple of bottles of beer now and again)I don't feel any ill effects so I've convinced myself this is ok.
    But you mentioned xmas - for the last few years we've spent xmas day at a relations and as a result I have been duty driver.
    At first I found the prospect very depressing but at the end of the day the fun we have had was due to the atmosphere, general fooling about etc and nothing to do with the drink. So my only advice is to adopt the same attitude as has already been discussed in this thread when planning a night out - go out with the intention of having a great time and I am sure you will. You will also enjoy the following days when everyone else is recovering :-)
  • I am full of admiration for you all

(lurk)
  • Well must report in one of the best weekends I've had so far sicne not drinking - and one that's confirmed my thoughts of "what's the point" of starting again...

Fri - had a very nice evening with a mate and her hubby - good food and company. They were drinking lot's of red wine.. I had a twinge on seeing the first glass but after that I was more intent on catching up with goss and laughing than worrying about booze. Bonus was I drove home and got up and achieved my schuduled 7 mile run sat am.

Sat - went to my friends who is my oldest boozy bud. There was 5 of us altogether - we went up the local for a couple (mine was soda water!) then home for a huge indian and they all had many more drinks - I had cranberry and blackcurrent and sparkly water. Was up till 2.30am - enjoyed every minute!

Was shattered yesterday - but that was from the late nights. Boyf arrived at 6pm (he'd been on a boys trip) he looked white, sick AND tierd. Says he's going on the waggon... we shall see. Me I've got my bum firmly stuck to the waggon now!
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Hello all,
    Sounds like you had a great time over the weekend Egglett.

Have to confess to falling off the wagon with a heavy thud this weekend, a mixture of not training cos feeling rotten and stuck in the house bored. Not a good enough excuse really.

However picked up nice new road bike today so back on the wagon for me, hopefully to stay on it this time. plus need to pay for bike somehow:)
  • Dont worry too much about it avalaf... your doing ok, more days off than on is a good achievement!

So's buying a bike! I'm hoping to come into a bit of cash soon, I think I want a bike, be a good alternative to running - specially on dark nights... I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to do a mix of running and cycling.

Like you say money you dont spend on booze will pay for it anyhow

Cool!
  • I agree with Hips I too am full of admiration, good luck all, and keep it up.

I have tried and failed to give up that many times I have lost count, I am afraid I am currently succuming to the demon drink :o( , its a curse......
  • Drink = No money and headache, but I still do it, someone shoot me............
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Just need to add swimming to that Egglett and you can do a tri too:) I'm still relatively pleased with 6 full days booze free, probably twice as long as I managed any other week this year:)

Why not join in then Gaz:) Got to be less painful than being shot:)
  • I'd love to have a go at a tri - think they look interesting and good fun... god did I say thta?!! Fun?!
  • oh Gaz
    But you were doing so, so well
  • You know how it is Hip, it can have a strong pull, I really do want to stop but, all it takes is one thing to go wrong and here we go again, I am just weak willed.

Avalaf, its easier being shot than giving up.

• you arent weak willed Gaz
    you have a problem petal

(like me)
  • Hi egglett,
    I have been following this thread with some interest and thought it was about time I confess. Having kept fairly fit since school days playing footy, squash and now running (past 5 years) I also have been a habitual binge drinker. I used to think, I keep fit so that entitles me to drink the odd gallon of stella.However after a recent half marathon over the south downs I participated in my usual couple of pints after the race, and then when I got home I still had the taste for more so got another 8 bottles and quickly polished them off. On the Monday I thought what am I doing, and since that day I have not touched a drop (4 weeks today)
    I feel at the moment total abstinance is the way forward, however I cant imagine going through the rest of my life without another beer.
    It must be bothering me a bit as I keep making pathetic excuses to avoid being put in a position that involves pub's and my drinking buddies.I even turned down an all day stag do last week.However this saturday night is the wedding reception(held in a pub) and I feel that it would be best not to go, but I have said that I'll attend so at the moment planning on driving and getting myself ready for the almighty p take.
    I'm trying to focus on my running, and it doesn't sound so bad when I say I'm not drinking at the moment because I'm in training for my next half marathon(hark at me trying to justify my non drinking)
    I agree with you that it seems to upset other people(my drinking buddies)more, now that I'm not drinking.
    Still It's been interesting reading other peoples stories, I'll keep in touch and let you know how I get on.
    Good luck on the diet, and stop bingeing. go for a run instead.
  • Some things I have found useful...

I 've been mixing and matching these techniques and found my journey into orangejuiceland a very pleasant one:

1. Say goodnight early a few times and people get used to it. Friends initially tried to persuade me to stay until kicking out time, but I've found that they respect a clear decision to go home for an "early night" which means a bit of bonus time to myself at home doing what i want with full use of my brain. It makes the prospect of getting through a pub evening is less daunting.

2. Give it large. I've had some propper wikid nights out in orangejuiceland, giving it everything on the dance floor and gone home totally buzzing, with my friends staggering along behind me. This is the undescovered country, and once descovered it really does change ones perspective on the "fun" of drinking alcohol.

3. Get to know your J2O's. Get used to asking for large orange juices, apple&mangos... Avoid coke for obvious reasons... Your friut juice drinks are nourishing and hydrating you, while all around you people shrivel like prunes.

4. Never apologise, excuse or explain your behaviour. Just do what you believe in and be the flame of enlightenment... the moths will come to you... you are the wise one...

Summary: Enter, order the drink you want, talk about what you want, dance, laugh, be bold and brave, believe in yourself, go home when you want. Take the helm and sail.

Do all this for a few weeks and you'll never look back.

jon
  • Thats ok Jon if you go out but I dont, I drink in the house and the only person thats makes me have another drink is, Me..

I have tried having a word with myself but so far to no avail.......
  • Cheers Jon, some pretty encouraging words.
    I'm still finding it a complete change of life because for the last 20 years most of my social life has revolved around alcohol.However still find it easier not to to be in the situation where the beers are flowing and everyone's getting hammered. I'm also focusing on all the positives of not drinking i.e less calories (still trying to shift that elusive half a stone). All the money I'm saving(I'd just like to know where it is). The good feeling I get at 7.30ish when I wake up Sunday morning knowing I've got a long run to do. The list is endless.
    I'm just hoping I can get a p.b for next months half marathon and then the sacrifice will all be worth it. And who knows maybe next year my first marathon.

Still not missing it (well not that much) G.R
  • Hip, thanks for being so understanding, not easy is it....
  • Its embarrassing putting out the recycle box..
  • thank god we dont have a bloody box

gaz, I gotta do something myself you know
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    ((((Gaz))))

stop talking about a weak will. You've inspired a lot of people in the past with the strength of it. You'll do it again, when the time is right.

xx

((((Hippo))))

knowing you gotta do something gets you closer to the place where you do.