Giving up the booze

Comments

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Wow. We'll done Jonnie. Fab time. 

Lol SL. The snow was indoors and in Milton Keynes image

• Glutton for punishment Cinders image

That sounds like more training than I've ever done EDI 

Apps, you should see Cinder's boy Buttons these days - all grown up and kicking ass with yet another Taekwondo belt!

• SL whats chrons disease? Hope you are better now also i get the same thing regards fish and chips, salmon and new potatoes for me thank you very much as its much (Batter) for you hahahahaha

thanks EDI, really admire you doing that ultra training let alone race, what time are you aiming for?

Thanks C zooooooom! image
  • Lol Jonnie, corny jokes too image  Crohns disease is an inflammatory bowel disease - a chronic condition and nothing like IBS.  Lots of different symptoms - all very unpleasant.  Most people lose weight but I'm one of the lunucky ones who stays lardy image  The worse symptom for me is chronic fatigue.  so hard to describe but it's nothing like just being very tired - I actually get symptoms of dementia and get all confused when it gets really bad and that always happens.  The reason I have lots of green smoothies and juices is because I don't absorb nutrients from food properly so getting as much in raw and not ruined by cooking helps.

• Really sorry to hear that SL sounds like not much fun, life can be cruel have you got it under control? I agree about raw foods much tastier too, i luv broccoli raw and hate it warm and soggy, how people enjoy it like that is beyond me, has anyone eaten sproats raw?? May give it a go image
  • Runner Jonnie wrote (see)
    SL whats chrons disease? Hope you are better now also i get the 
    thanks EDI, really admire you doing that ultra training let alone race, what time are you aiming for? 

Just to finish before the 12 hour cut-off time. image  To put it in perspective, I think the first 26.2 miles have to be done in under 7hrs 30 mins (or something like that).  I'll be doing a walk/run pattern, which I have yet to practise, but it'll be something like walk up all the hills, and in long flat sections, run for 15 mins, walk for 5 mins; repeat.

I'll play it safe, because I'm old 'n' boring! 

• I've sort of got it under control Jonnie, when I eat a high raw vegan diet I have few symptoms and lots of energy so I try to do that as much as I can.  If I stick to raw stuff in the day and something low fat vegan for dinner I'm ok.  Problem is it's not a very sociable diet so to eat this way properly means not joining in with friends for tea and a cake etc. or only eating fruit and salad etc.  My willpower in the face of pie n mash  or any 'normal' stuff goes out of the window and once I have a bit too much it tips the balance and i get unwell again.   If you can get your head round eating all low fat raw vegan all the time your health, mood and fitness just skyrocket.  

EDI, only the truly elite Kilian Jornets of ultra running run up the hills - the rest of us stagger.  And as for age - it's one of those rare things that us older folk seem to be better at and if you were boring you wouldn't have entered.

Rainy old day here again today, sort of glad I haven't got the energy to run.....image  Just made myself a huge green juice for breakfast - 5 small pears, 12 a pineapple, 200g kale, bunch of mint, half a cucumber and 2 sticks of celery - Yum imageimage

• Cheers, Sunluvva.

For breakfast I had two cups of coffee, then I did a six mile tempo run, followed by two slices of peanut butter and jam on toast, a bag of crisps, and a chocolate bar.

My post race recovery food for any run 20+ miles is a large donor kebab, with extra chilli sauce, and chips; delivered.

My diet is terrible! image

• Lol, mines normally terrible after about 5pm - earlier if I raid the biscuit tin or 'find' a belgium bun in Tescos.  My only saving grace is that I'm not much of a chocolate fan.  I hear all these women going on about needing chocolate and it just doesn't bother me at all.  On the other hand  I can do serious damage to a bag of princess marshmallows or american hard gums.....

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Does your juicing help with energy levels SL?

• Yes it does Cinders - green juices specifically.  Most of the vitamins and minerals needed for good health can be found in green leafy veg, celery and cucumber are good too.  The key is to have a good variety of the green stuff.  

• Lol EDI i aint had a keebab in ages, since i gave up booze and nicotene i have become very cautious of what i eat hence a 50min marathon pb so i am a bit boring when it come to eating, i am appleholic averaging 4 a day and new week i will starting a raw veg lunch menu as will be back in training and want to get quicker as running great south run on 26th and think the 10mile distance will suite me image
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks SL. Going to give it another go. 

• Wow, this thread is buzzing. 

Quick tidy up of the house here this morning, sort out car insurance then off for a run.  It is possible to train for a marathon in 2 weeks, yes? image

Lots of talk of healthy eating, it is so obvious and yet the hardest thing to maintain.  At the moment I am balanced.  So stuffing, no starving.  All is good in the world.

Thinking I should set a goal for London.  Jonnie you are quick.  I would be wrapped with anything less than 4.55!

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Wow HT, what mara have you in 2 weeks? image  

• And what's been your longest run and kind of mileage? (With regards the 'is it possible to train for a marathon in two weeks?)

I'd say no because my understanding is that from doing a run, it takes three weeks for our bodies to adapt from that exercise.  Running doesn't make us fit, it creates the potential to be fit.

But you may already be capable of running one.

• It's Beachy Cinders, you can have my place if you fancy it image.   I've been too ill to do any running at all.  Bit peed off to say the least but hey ho, being sensible for once.  

EDI, HT is a legend for smashing marathons and ultras with less than optimal training.  We always make great plans about being fitter,  faster etc. this time next year and it rarely happens - well not for me anyway  image

• Sunluvva wrote (see)

EDI, HT is a legend for smashing marathons and ultras with less than optimal training.  We always make great plans about being fitter,  faster etc. this time next year and it rarely happens - well not for me anyway  image

Ah, right; I thought HT hadn't ran before; or had done very little.  I'm a Geordie, forgive me! image

• Ht thanks and good luck wid marathon, if u are a ultra boy and eat healthy then no probs i could do it but i have a job which is physical so i keep fit most days, Lol EDI biker biker biker grove yeah! Hahahahahahaimage
  • Lol, I can't remember how many marathons and ultras HT has done but it's not in single figures.  Same for me too but HT has run more marathons than me in total.  Each Pilgrims Challenge counts for 2 marathons.  I'm more interested in trying to get fit enough to build up to a 100 miler - ht wants to do 100 marathons.  She gets annoyed with me when i say lets do this or that run cos even if it were 52.4 miles it would only count as one marathon but if you did those miles over 2 days it's 2 marathons!  

• Ah, thanks for the info, Sunluvva, It looks like I'm in the right thread for training for my first ultra then!!!  Brilliant.  It's only a small one (42 miles) because even that sounds a bit scary.

And inspired by some of the posts here, I didn't get a juicer, but I got a blender instead, to make smoothies.  It's cheaper and less mess and I'm hoping that there's some benefit to consuming the stuff that juicers make you throw away.

I've been putting ginger and spinach (along with anything else in the fridge) in mine, not putting to many calories in it; maybe a small banana and apple.  Even some garlic (not sure if it's going to make my breath reek and Mrs EDI complain), but I ran 14 miles yesterday and I have very little (or none) muscle soreness or stiffness. 

Maybe I'm getting fitter, or maybe my body is getting used to it, or maybe it's because I ran it sensibly; but maybe it's the ginger; I understand it's a natural anti-inflammatory. 

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Beachy. Of course. Will pass on the place lol image

I bought a juice book today. I want the vitamin/mineral content rather than recipes. Have you tried wheatgrass SL?

• I wanna get involved in this juice fest i love ginger
  • EDI - 42 miles is NOT a small ultra, it's massive and further than me or HT have run in one go!   It's not running or distance you need to focus on though it's your mind - getting your mind into the right frame to complete the distance however far it is.  

I've got a good blender too but not been brave enough to try garlic in it yet.  Maybe I should to get rid of all the bugs that keep coming and getting me.  I can't pick a favourite recipe but a really simple one is bananas, spinach and either a few drops of vanilla extract or a shake of cinnamon, yummy.   Now you've got a blender make sure you freeze any fruit that's about to go off.  Whizz frozen bananas on their own to make lovely ice cream - they don't even taste like bananas like that but then you can add other frozen fruit too, heaven in a bowl image

I don't mind wheatgrass juice Cinders but it can take some getting used to.  If you get it at the right age - grown for about a week so it's 7-8 inches long - it can be quite sweet but longer than that and it gets bitter.  It's still good for you though.  It's a bit like having rocket fuel - you get amazing energy which lasts a couple of hours.  when you first try it most people knock back a shot sized glass then suck on a bit of orange but once you get used to the taste you can have a bigger amount.  First time I had a double shot I was hyper image  I am seriously getting some frozen wheatgrass shots to drink on ultras, they come in small pots so easy to carry image

Have you got a juicer Jonnie, a really simple juice is apple and ginger - one apple and about an inch of ginger - or more if you really like it hot image

I'm planning on venturing out for a tiny run tomorrow, first time since I got ill again.  I was back up to about 14 miles mid august after breaking my ankle then I got began to go downhill again.  I did an 8 mile run beginning of september and some shorter ones but not much since.  

Hope everyones had a good day today image x

• Unfortunately I binge on beer .... any ideas
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Where do you get the shots from SL?  It sounds just what I need image

Welcome to the juice fest RJ image

Welcome too Mac, have you tried drinking something else instead of beer?  

• Mac mc listen to mj man in the mirror and MAKE THAT CHANGE ! image

No i don't have juicer just yet but sure i can squeeze some money together and get one, as i said before i am an appleholic so apple and alot of ginger would be heaven also this wheatgrass sounds like fun image
  • Mac McCormack wrote (see)
    Unfortunately I binge on beer .... any ideas

A.A. worked for me; picking up a couple of guys (who it also works for), and we're off to a meeting in Lydney.  It's a strange meeting this one; it's candle-lit, but a good bunch of alkies go there.

• Mac McCormack wrote (see)
    Unfortunately I binge on beer .... any ideas

Lots of ideas but it depends on whether you want to keep beer bingeing or not.

Cinders, google for more options but this place sells the whole lot from seeds to grown grass and frozen juice shots.  

http://www.wheatgrass-uk.com/

The juice works out a bit expensive but saves a heck of a lot of fuss if you can't be bothered to grow it yourself.  I think it's worth the money - I drunk it religiously back in 2009 when I first got really ill and was bed bound.  

Jonnie - this is one of the best juicers on the market at this price, I've had a few of them over the years.  Finally treated myself to a flash expensive one and i've had to have it replace twice as it's broken down!  

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9099407.htm

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Thanks SL. I can't grow anything so the shots appeal image