Giving up the booze

Comments

• Well, I did it ... somehow. When they said it was multi-terrain they weren't kidding!!! The course was two laps of a 5K circuit - so far so good. Everything was flat for the first 2K and then we moved from paths to running cross-country (avoiding some particularly large cow pats). At this point my pace was steady and I was targetting for a 53 min 10K race. Then at 3K came "THE HILL". The only way I can describe it is a 3/4K steep incline where (because of the muddy, leaf-strwn forest floor) I was running two forward and 1 back, or that's how it felt. At halfway up my quads were screaming and my pace has gone out of the window. 

Anyway, going down hill was easier with a firmer dirt track and I tried increasing my pace a little and managed to sustain this for around about another 2 to 3K but the hill had knocked the stuffing out of most of us and the change in pace was now visible. By the second lap climbing the hill (that was how it felt) was a nightmare and I truly thought I would have a coronary!!! I have never been so glad to see a summit in my life. 

Finally made it through the finish line in what for me was a disappointing 1:04.51, but I consoled myself with the fact that given a flatter surface on roads and I would almost certainly have done a sub-60. On the one hand it certainly wasn't an ideal race to restart my competitive life, but on the other hand it was good o be out there running again. 

The real perk was seeing someone from the forum at the race - came as quite a shock when he said "You're Welshman"! If you manage to read this Slow Bloke did you manage to get you sub-60?

Going to take it easy tonight and then next week decide on which race I'll do next. One thing is sure - it's on the roads!!!!

The other pleasant surprise was that Alison joined me and ran the 5K in about 35 mins .. who's a clever girl then!!! I'm really proud of her.

D

• CONGRATULATIONS WMimage a fantastic time.  Now you have a pb to chase!

Alison did great tooimage

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Well done WM, that's actually a very good time and well done Alison too for the 5k imageimage

Go tomorrow SL,  2 m is a great start and I'd like to see one too this week.

Yes, learnt my lesson.  It was a sweet n sour sauce as that was what Mr C didn't have.  I've lost 3lb which was nice but been a pants 3 days now, so very weak!

More good news re mum, she's now on a normal ward.  Hoping to be home either Tues or Weds.  Not sure how she's going to cope with winter and its bugs though!

• yuk to the dicky tummy, cinders. glad your mum's on the up now image

well done, wm! that sounds like a tough course - sub 60 will be yours soon!!

• That sounds like a beast of a course Welshman so well done on getting round it so well - you are going to fly round a flat road 10K.

It's great to see you elle and RD - it's always nice to see old friends back on the thread.

Cinders - it must have been a worrying time with your mum so I'm pleased she's on the mend.

Sunluvva - I remember when you did the juice diet a while back and were really successful with it - you even had me throwing spinach in my smoothies for a while!

I am entering a New Year's Day 10K and starting to prepare from this week - I've prepared an 8 week plan, starting in November and I have to be able to run 3 miles at the beginning of it so that's what I'm working towards from this week. So I'm also planning a couple of 2 mile runs this week - it seems ridiculous that 2 miles is a major challenge but it really is. When I started running in 2004 I think I had reasonable fitness levels from having recently played football, squash, badminton etc. but now I'm fat and really unfit so it will be a bigger challenge. I must really work at diet and booze too.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning all, tis nice and sunny today, off out for some needed fresh air soon.  Maybe treddie plod tonight image

Hi Apps, always nice to hear from you.  Is it the Ely 10k you've got planned for NY Day?  Hope your planned runs for the week go well image

• Morning Cinders - beautiful morning here too! I might be able to take a short day today and, if that proves to be the case, I might try a little run later. I tried to enter the Ely 10K but it was full so I'm going for the Wymondham 10K on New Year's Day.

• Morning folks,

Well the legs have settled back to normal and stupid fool that I am, I am now looking at another 10K in December! Why do we do this to ourselves???

How is everyone today?

D

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Oooh, which one WM??? image

Had a lovely long walk to meet a mum friend and have a coffee while the wee ones played.  Didn't half wear me out though after lounging around all weekend!

• Evening folks, the 2 miles have been delayed till tomorrow morning. I planned to work from home, and go out about late morning as I run better that time of day, anyway- couldn't get into my work account onhubbys iPhone so ended up having to go to Maidstone instead. So it'll have to be a 6 in the morning run tomorrow

Fantastic time WM, sounds like it was a tough course. You'll get that magic sub 60 soon no doubt! I'm always happy just to finish a
    race whatever the time, had to accept that times are gonna be slower compared to what I used to do almost 20 years ago!

Lovely to hear from you Apps, good to hear you've entered a race too, it's so much easier to get out of the door when you've got a target.

Pleased to hear mums on the mend cinders, hope you're feeling less 'delicate'

hi htf, Elle and anyone else I've missed, hope ur all well

Dx

• Hi all,

Not sure Cinders to be honest. There are a couple in my area around about then. One is actually only about 4 miles and it's a Santa run in Newtown (Powys), another is called the Wrekin wrecker but it's more of a fell run and it's probably too hard for me, the last option is the Telford 10K just before Xmas so I might go for that one.

D

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Good luck for the 6 in the morning run SL, that's very early.

If you do the Santa run WM, do you get to run as Santa like the other Santa runs?

I'm torn between the Folkestone Santa run and my club's 10 miler, in prep for VLM.

• If I run as Santa I get a free Santa suit ... very tempting!! I already have the beard image

D

• yay for santa suits!

why do these things always clash, cinders?!

hope you made it out, sl image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Yes, annoying that they clash.

Having said that, we do now have about 5 santa suits so maybe the Thanet 10 is better image

• Evening all, I made it out and the 2 miles didn't seem too tough either. Got to get up again tomorrow for a 3 miler, then another 2 or 3 Friday and 5-6 run/ walk Sunday. I'm actually looking forward to it!

You've gotta do the Santa run WM, you'll be more than fit enough for the 10k too image

the only racei was thinking of this side of Xmas is the crowborough 10k in November, it's a bit of a toughie but a good race. Once I know I can run 10k properly I'll get myself back to a running club. I might try paddock wood ac as I'm closerto it now and it's a big club with loads of runners of different abilities.

Hope everyone is good this evening

Dx
  • I was looking at all my old running photos today with my mum and sister, turns out I ran my 1st London Marathon in 1992, not 1993 like I thought. It was the Nutrasweet one. Doh- my brain is addled, must be my age!
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning all image

SL, are you doing Paddock Wood half next year?

Hoping to get out with the jogger this afternoon, wanted to go out yesterday when little man was in nursery but got caught up making soup and juicing carrots!!!

Do you use a recipe book for juices SL or make up your own.  Just got another juicer so keen to try some things out.

• I was wrong again - 1992 was ADT, 1993 was Nutrasweet.  It dosen't take much to confuse me!image

Did my 3 miles this morning, my legs felt it afterwards today but not too bad.  I managed to get lost in the woods too, I'd kind of decided on a route through the footpaths last night, but it was still dark when I left this morning so I went a different way.  I ventured down a footpath once it got a bit lighter and ended up in some woods with footpaths criss crossing each other, didn't have a clue  what went where so decided that so long as I was going downhill it was generally the right direction.  I ended up in sort of the right place next to the cemetery!  After that it was uphill all the way home.  There's no point me taking a map as I can't see it without my glasses - but if I wear my glasses I can't see where I'm goingimage.

My spanish doggie Sassy loved it but I can't take the other one as she's in season, far to attractive to all the boys image.

Must do some work now.  Chat soon.

Dx

• Well done on the run SL.  Sounds like your sense of direction is about as good as mine.

Cinders - I looked up Paddock Wood last night.  Normally I miss this as we're away ski-ing, but this year we're going a week later, so may well enter.  Just need SL to confirm............

That reminds me SL, are you in Wokingham yetimage?

• Hiya

yes I'll definately be doing paddock wood Cinders & HTF, I drove past the start this morning, it's only a few miles away.

I'm feeling tired tonight, the waking up at 6 am is easy enough, it's just the getting up and moving I find hard. I get a lie in tomorrow though.

Not entered wokingham yet cos I'm still skint. Don't get paid till Tuesday but it might have to wait till the end of the month cos we've loads of stuffer need forthehouse, lots of little bits but they add up!
  • Sorry Cinders- didn't answer your juicing question. I don't usually use recipes, just chuck in the things I like and usually some spinach or kale. You get all the vitamins from the greens as none are lost in cooking. You might find a recipe book in your library to get you started. Jason Vale aka juicemaster has some good ones, or just google juicing or green juices. Hope that helps image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

SL, I lost count the amount of times I set the alarm, woke and then turned the alarm off and went back to sleep instead of going for a run!!!  So well done for doing it image

Crikey isn't it the little bits n bobs that add up, today a new coat for Buttons for winter and a bit of shopping.   Mind you, I was a bit sad in Asda and bought a pumpkin carving kit for a pricely £1

Yay for Paddock Wood, will enter and look forward to seeing you there image

Felt rather healthy today, had juiced carrots for brekkie, made carrot n coriander soup for lunch, about to have sea bass salad and have made my own coleslaw, probably be fish n chips tomorrow now ha ha!

• I think I enjoy thinking, reading and planning my running more than actually getting out there and doing it!

So thats 3 for Paddock Wood - roll up, roll up any more takers?

• Careful Cinders, too many carrots and you'll have orange wee! Seriously though, try to add something less sweet now and then to balance out the sugar rush, how about cucumber or celery if you like it. Apple and celery's nice but my favourites usually have orange or pineapple and some greens.

Yay, at least 3 for paddock wood- any more takers- RD, what are you doing 4th April 2010??? I might be running it in a paddock wood AC vest, that'll be wierd.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning.

Got the rest of the carrot juice today SL, I added apple juice to it, didn't like the taste of it on its own.

Have a confession though, the reason I ended up on a carrot fest was that I messed up my online shopping and accidentally bought 2kg of carrots so needed to use them before they went off.

Yay for joining PW AC SL, are you going to go along soon?

• I want to be able to run 6 miles in a reasonable time before I join the running club Cinders.  I'm so slow at the moment it would take me between 1:20 and 1:30 to do 10k, once it's down to 1:10 max I''ll join.  I know they say they have slow people but I prefer to be able to keep up with some of the pack at least - and not to make everyone wait for me.

I'm back at my old office today, it's nice to be able to pop in now and again yet not have to do planning work!  I took a few people out for a 2 mile stroll.   I kinda got myself roped into organising a few routes for a regular lunctime walk so I had to actually find a route today.  I know lots of the footpaths round here but I've only ever done them as runs of between 3 and 5 miles - which is too long for a lunchtime walk.  So I grabbed a couple of eager people to use as guinea pigs and we spent an hour climbing stiles and walking through woods and orchards.  Very pretty and now I don't want to do any work image.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Sounded like a very enjoyable lunch hour ramble there SL image

Know what you mean about the club thing.  I'm swapping my club night due to being at college only I'm not brave enough to go on a Monday yet as I'm not up to 6 miles and I'm also slow and they run for an hour on a Monday.

Right, little man in nursery, just baked some cheesy biscuits so heading out now into the sun for a plod.

• Indulge me for a personal poor me minute. 

Its my birthday, no card from husband (okay he's in China, but he could have left me one.  None from the kids, and the youngest has just thrown up in the swimming pool changing room!

Truely hate birthdays.

Oh and a friend in AA has just picked up the drink after 3 years sober.....

• Consider this a virtual birthday card HTF, enjoy the rest of the evening. Don't let the AA friend get you down. You're a very strong lady and you've overcome lots that others wouldn't have coped with. Keep strong and SMILE, it's your birthday ( xxxx)

how did your run go Cinders, which club are you thinking of joining?
    It certainly was a lovely ramble, even the field with two horses in wasn't too bad! I had my off road trainers on (expecting mud) and was itching to break into a run - must be the old running genie getting back into my legs! I did manage a little downhill trot down a steep bank and waited for the others image