Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options

Hi folks

Well the cat had been bitten by another one and now has an abcess on his leg - cost me £70 for the pleasure, but the good news is .... I'm being weaned off all my meds.

It'll take a few months as he doesn't want to rush things and then for my BP to go haywire, so it'll be slow and systematic and hoperfully, hopefully ... I'll be off everything, or at least nearly everything.

Not bad for a guy who had a stroke 2 years ago image

D

• Options

That is the most fantastic news WM, and it's all your own doing , the meds helped of course but the rest of it is down to you personally.  Was the doc pleased/surprised/amazed, I bet he was possibly all three!  If only the rest of the population would take responsibility for thier own health - the NHS would save so much money!

Good to hear the cat is going to be fine too.  Are you off out for a celebratory trot today?

• Options

Missed your post there Cinders, it's good to listen to your body and have some sleep if you need it - it must be the sleepless KFC night catching up with you image.

Morning everyone else, enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

Dx

• Options

Morning SL image 

Fab news WM, you must be well pleased to be being weaned off your meds image 

Glad moggy is going to be ok too but a little ouch on the pocket.

• Options

Evening all

Just spent 9-5 in a training day thing = all NLP stuff image.  I feel absolutely shattered after sitting down all day so am postponing my run till tomorrow morning.  I don't need to get out early, I'm visiting Sittingbourne so will wait till the rush hour has passed and enjoy a run in the woods with the doggies - less chance of getting tripped up!

• Options

Hi folks,

Yes the doc was delighted - I don't think many of his patients want to do anything for themselves, so I'm a rarity.

Terrific news tonight - my local council have asked me to organise a local Run in England running group as part of the Council - it will be for their staff. Yippeeeeeeee!

• Options

Yay WM, great news about the council wanting a group setting up, when will you start it?

GP's need more rarities like you, people just do not do enough to help themselves at all.  My own mum and aunt being prime examples I'm afraid!

Sounded tough going there SL, 9 to 5 of NLP stuff, no wonder you are shattered tonight!

Bit tired here but that's cos a little person ran me around today.  He's had what I'd call a "contrary" day, everything was wrong..........the wrong coat to put on, the wrong shoes, I took him the wrong way for a walk!!!!!  Just waiting for the shopping to arrive then Mr C wants to put the puffball on tv so a chilling evening.  We've also both decided to ease back on drink too.

• Options

Great news WM,Did you approch them or did they hear about you from someone else?   if it's for the council they'll have to give you a fancy title and make you do a long induction process spread over 3 months - at least - I think Director of Exercise & Perambulatory Services sound good image

Button's 'contrary day' made me laugh Cinders, bought back those memories again, all the exasperation with them goes out of the window though when they come up and give you a big smile and hug image.  What exactly is puffball and why would you watch it on tv - I thought it was a type of mushroom image.

I've cut right back on the booze after the weekend, I had 2 glasses of vino with dinner monday and last night and no more.  Hubby finishes the rest so I can't have any if I want.  Hopefully  now he's cleaned me out of wine he'll start working his way through the beer in the fridge - it's taking up too much room!.

Been for my run this morning, lovely and sunny.  I found where that footpath finishes and am now even more confused as it joins up with a footbridge over the pembury by-pass.  the other path also goes over a bridge over the bypass but the 2 footpaths don't join up and there's definately only one bridge over the road, I'm flummoxed image.  Looks like my Sunday run will be trying to find out how they all link up!

Have a lovely sunny day everyone, Dx

• Options

Lol SL, I call the footie "puffball", just to wind Mr C up.  Think it was Liverpool playing last night, I wasn't really taking too much attention.

Yes, little man was "contrary" again this morning but also keen on having a cuddle, comes up and asks for one so that made things quite alright image

Sounds like you're in for some fun on Sunday trying to get your paths to join up, hope you don't get too lost!!!

• Options

Hi folks,

Well I saw the health advisors in the centre of Stafford a few weeks agon and A talked to B, who talked to C, who knew D, who had lunch with E, who was married to F, who knew G, who was responsible for organising new sport activity in Stafford. As a result they are supporting me to start groups throughout the town.

The Council one will probably star in the new year.

As for titls, I think they'll ore likely go for Director of Intense Mobility and Walking Into Town (DIMWIT)!!

More weight training tonight and if I am still up for it a short run - although I may just have an easy one and take the night off as I have run for 4 on the trot (no pun intended).

D

• Options

Love the new title WM, DIMWIT ha ha image

Just a small mile on the treddie for me today, forced myself as fighting some ongoing tiredness and headacheyness.

• Options

Lol DIMWIT WM image, I bet the council bods are having a series of meetings and workshops to discuss the implementation of the new health and exercise strategy before they discuss it with thier partners and stakeholders and writing a lengthy report - well it keeps people employed I suppose!

There must be something in the air Cinders, I've been knackered for the past couple of days.

Just spent a few lovely hours in Sheerness walking around the town for a few hours, what with that and the run this morning I should sleep well tonight image.  Working mostly from home tomorrow, I've got to do a site visit at 3pm but it's in the high street, about 5 minutes from my house image.

• Options

Morning folks

Not so sunny outside this morning image.  I ended up drinking 5 glasses of wine last night - hubby wanted to go to the local so I had 2 glasses there but still fancied  my 2 glasses at home with dinner afterwards, then I decided that the damage had already been done and had another one image.  Fortunately I don't feel too rough  - I was expecting worse.  I need to get out for another run today so I'l' make sure I drink lots of water this morning and have a couple of precautionary headache pills!

Hubby's boss is having a big fireworks party tonight in his very very very posh new ultra modernistic house = not actually in the house - in the garden, he's laid on a coach for people and we were going to go on that but I told hubby this morning that I'll drive instead, that way I can't indulge - and the bonus is that we can escape early if we want to !

Are you feeling less tired today Cinders?

And did you have a rest day WM, when are you going to put a new slimline piccy up?

Hi everyone else.

ps FRU are you lurking, we haven't heard from you in a while.

• Options

Wow, that sounds like some fireworks night SL, tres posh.  Good idea re the driving too.

Thomas went mad last night, wanting us to take him out the front/back every 5 mins to look for fireworks.  I should have been at college but got there and the tutor didn't turn up so went home.  We're taking Thomas to a little display on Saturday to see what he makes of it.

Still got bad head this morning.  Was the 3rd night of no drink so wondering if its a knock on efffect, we'll see!

Happy Friday all image

• Options

Very possibly detox/withdrawal symptoms Cinders, get lot's of water inside you to flush the nasties out.

I love to see the fireworks but I don't really like them too close, i.e in my own garden.  When the kids were little I'd stand outside to wave a sparkler about then close the patio doors and watch from the inside for the noisy ones.  I'm not good with load bangs - I jump like a scared rabbit if I hear an unexpected bang.  I'm one of those people who dosen't like balloons - for the same reason.  If someone is blowing a balloon up next to me I have to move away - how sad/wierd is that!

It will be very posh tonight entertainment and surroundings wise,  it'll be a proper pyrotechnic display rather than a rocket in a jam jar, and the food will be done by caterers.   The boss is a really nice down to earth bloke, my age, no airs and graces etc, he just happens to be a  millionaire!  Mind you he earnt it all himself with real hard work, started off as a locksmith apprentice then learnt everything he could about the trade, started the business with £500 quid and built it up till his company became the top commercial locksmith and safe engineers in the country - anyone could do it image

• Options

Not sad/weird at all SL, specially as the fireworks get louder and louder each year.  We had some very loud ones here but they were quite a distance away.  The display tomorrow is a school one so shouldn't be to loud for Thomas, we're not sure he'll like the big ones but he was saying oooh and wow at the prettier ones!

Am drinking more water, do believe it is indeed detox but its well overdue! 

Good chap, starting from scratch and building it up, sounds like he deserves things image  Do you know how many people will be going to the display?

We saw the world firework championships in Blackpool 2 years ago and it was the most amazing display I'd ever seen, all choreographed to music, a few big ones but mostly very artistic, would love to see that again.

• Options

I don't know how many people are going tonight, he's invited everyone in the company (thats 97 workers) and thier partners.  Some of the engineers are based all over the UK from Cornwall to Scotland - he always puts people over 30 miles away up in a local hotel - like I said he's a nice bloke and wouldn't want anyone to be left out image.

To be honest I'm probably worse with balloons than the fireworks, as soon as someone knows I don't like them they try to blow them up to bursting point, I start shaking and sweating, I know I'm not alone though.  I suppose my worst 'domestic' scenario would be trying to blow up balloons up a ladder - I'm scared of heights too, I can get 'up' things - but I can't get down again  - and don't ask me to come down a spiral staircase, I have to do it on my bumimageimageimage.

• Options

Sounds a huge bash SL, hope it goes ok image

I'm no good with heights either, I sometimes have recurring nightmares about getting stuck at the top of things! 

Am sneaking on while the little man watching a bit of a Mickey dvd about Christmas, he got it out of the cupboard and asked for it so letting him watch a little, he's saying ooh and wow to that as well.........must be his current new words image

• Options

Morning all, another sober morning image  Had a lie in too, result!  We did have a bottle of wine but I had a glass and just topped Mr C's glass.

How were the fireworks SL? 

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

• Options

Morning all

The do was good Cinders, some of the fireworks were fantastic and some were a bit wimpish but when you've seen one and gone whoooooooooooo........................yeyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee a few times they all look the same!  It's a shame the weather was foul too, they set them off on the lawn the other side of the swimming pool !  The house is lovely too, a big white kitchen with a huge island in the middle with the sink in it etc, very ideal homes.  It's built on a bank so you go in the front door and have all the normal rooms, living room, kitchen,a utility room (as big as the living room) lounge, huge guest suite, office, gym etc , then all the other 4 bedrooms are downstairs with the library and anything else you could think of- how the other half liveimage!

I had a glass of wine in the pub where we all met then nothing else till I got home when I had a couple more.

The reason for the tiredness has appeared too, I'd been sneezing and sniffling all week but the cold come out in full last night, so I've put the run off till tomorrow and will get lots of fresh OJ down me today.  It's only a head cold so nothing to worry about but they do make you feel rough for a  couple of days.

We've suddenly become very socialble this past couple of weeks, we don't normally go anywhere except the pub or each others houses but so far we've had our party last week, the fireworks last night, going out for a meal for our friends birthday tonight (i've said I'll drive again), dinner with hubby's brother tomorrow and another friend has invited us for dinner one evening next week!  I've started having to check my diary!!

Are you running today Cinders or saving it for tomorrow - is it Hellrunner tomorrow????

• Options

Morning folks,

Currently off running as somehow I managed to pull some muscles in my hip. Absolutely no idea how I maanged to do it and it's not an experience i have had in the past. Yesterday I was virtually immobilised but managed to make it as far as the kitchen and cook a curry whilst Alison and Pulse were out shopping. Woke up this morning hoping it would be gone, but it's still lingering - still at least I can move a little. It means my long run with Alison this morning is a non-starter. Hope she manages to go as she's hoping to do a 10K in December.

Going to wake her with brekky in bed so that'll cheer her up (I hope). Have a good day all.

D

• Options

Morning WM, very sorry to hear about your hip.  Hope a few days of rest will help.  Did Alison like her brekky in bed?

Thomas liked the fireworks last night SL, jumped at the start but then starting oohing and wowing and shouting at the fireworks to "come back" when they'd gone!  First thing he said this morning when Mr C went in was "good fireworks, more"!

No running here either (Hellrunner is next Sunday).  I ran into a door yesterday morning, wasn't looking.  Stubbed and cut a toe and it became apparent later in the day that I've hurt my back too.  Dosing up on ibruprofen and deep heat.  Sore this morning but not as bad but like WM, means no running for a few days.  Bum, as my mojo was just coming back! image

• Options

Hi folks,

Back from sunny Warrington (not) where I was working ... oh joy and bliss! Fortunately the hip was feeling better so I was able to cope with the travel. Sort of hoping I'll be all better tomorrow and able to test myself on a short 20 min run. Just have to see if the recovery continues.

How's the back Cinders? Told you to put more water in the gin image .. still you must be getting better cos nowadays you know you've done it image

How is everybody else - have you all started hibernating from the cold?

D

• Options

Lol WM, if I'd had a drink it would have hurt less!  I've been afflicted all my life with things jumping out and munching my toes or elbows.  Was the door at Tesco today! 

Glad to hear the hip is on the mend, take it easy on the 20 mins tomorrow.

Warrington didn't exactly sound much fun?

On my tod tonight, Mr C having to go up to London till Weds.  Just about to put the little fella to bed then think about something to munch.

• Options

Brrrrr - hibernation from the cold is a very good plan WM! Hope your hip gets better soon - and hope you feel better soon too Cinders!

I didn't see any fireworks image  but I have done lots of running image. Very pleased to report that my medication doesn't seem to be having the negative effect people kept telling me it would. I guess everyone reacts differently...

Have been busy at work, handing in my notice and sorting out start date for new job. My new manager is away for the first 2 weeks in January so am going to have a whole month off over Christmas image. Am most definitely counting my blessings right now - new job, trip to NYC this weekend and a holiday to Madeira at the beginning of December! Had a bit of a rough time earlier in the year so I've decided it's all about karmic balance image

Hope everyone's doing ok?

• Options
    Just had a bit of a read back - well done re your meds WM - you're an inspiration!
  • Options

Morning image

Whole month off sounds good Elle image  Enjoy your trip to NYC and Madeira too, sounds like you deserve it so look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Back's better this morning, did one mile on the treddie last night to test it and it was ok.

Hope all ok?

• Options

oooh Elle, I'm a little bit envious - sounds like good karma indeed

I tend not to walk into doors so much Cinders, just fall over and trip on matchsticks etc, always been a a bit unbalanced - literally - I hardly have any strength or muscle control in the muscles in the arches of my feet, it's been a problem since I was a kid, I spent hours in physio as a kid rolling up bandages with my toes and trying to write or draw pictures with my feet.  I used to have electric shock treatment too - sticking my feet in a bowl of water with some electrical pads in it image.  It didn't work - I still fall over everything (and nothing).  Not run at all this weekend, I'm taking it really easy for another week or two and will probably call 4 miles my 'long' run.  I'm a bit run down from the cold and upset tum and am really really tired all the time.

How was the hip today WM, were you able to run today.

Hope everyone is well today.

Dx

• Options

Evening everyone

Elle - really not sure I can chat with you, like SL envious of your holiday plans.  I think we all could do with some sunshine about now.

Life here is moderately crappy at the moment.  Friend (alcoholic), has kicked off again, and her son is now being looked after by social services.  This woman is a perfectly respectable member of society normally, you'd never her clock her for a soak, but give her a drink, and all sense of responsibilty goes out the window.  As WM would say, alcohol is powerful and baffling stuff.  

I hit my rock bottom earlier than her thank god, but hope she reaches hers real soon, or she'll have nothing left.

Will attempt a run tomorrow, feel unfit and very sluggish.  Seriously thinking of buying the Lumilamp, could do with some rays of light and happiness here.

How did parents night go Cinders?

• Options

((( Elle ))) Sorry to hear things are crap right now and sorry to hear about your friend.  Not sure what to say, hope she gets the right help. 

The little parents evening was good thanks, just a quick 5 mins with his key worker to see how he's doing.  Was worried as he's so small and timid but it seems he has a couple of little chums and is doing well.