Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options
    Hi everyone... it's been a while since I posted cos I've started my course up in London and what with all the commuting don't seem to have as much time for surfing etc :o(

Anyway, I had another wee glitch at the weekend when I went to a party hosted by the local triathlon club I've joined - it was their end-of-season bash, and although it was a great way to get to know some of the people there better, I think the following day could have been more constructive if I hadn't have been nursing a hangover.

So the counter goes back to zero and I'm starting again... but now I've got into the swing of my course it's not so bad cos I'm just so busy all the time.

Right, that's my confession over with!

Avalaf - it's great to have you join us. It sounds like you've scared yourself by really admitting to yourself how much you're drinking. When it's down in black and white it becomes so much harder to hide from. I do hope that your friends and family are supportive of your decision... and if not, then we'll certainly be here for you!

Sometimes I find that I wake up in the morning with the best of intentions - eat healthily and drink lots of water etc throughout the day... but then on my way home I'd feel tired, or stressed, or depressed, and then somehow manage to drown out my sensible side and veer into an off-license on the way home.
    It's helped me to have things planned for the evening - running club, swimming session or whatever, which means that by the time I get home for good I'm either too knackered or feeling so good from the exercise that usually the urge to drink has passed.

It's tough though - we all have our little triggers or situations where we find it all to easy to cave in. It's a matter of finding out what these are, and then either steeling ourselves against them, or avoiding them altogether.

For instance, it's taken me a long time to recognise, but whenever I'm out socially and my sister-in-law is there, I've got totally plastered. Now I've identified this I go out of my way to drive when I know she'll be there.

Phew! That was all a bit epic. I'll try and post more frequently in future instead of bottling everything up for a week or so.

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Well the offlicence is shut so day 1 done:)

Sorry to here about your little glitch but at least your back:) I will try to stay in the pool until 10 so I can't buy any I think. Or If I'm stuck at home with my daughter just make sure i don't buy any before shes in bed, tht way I can't leave the house.

So heres to day 2 tomorrow:)

• Options
    Well avalaf - all I can say is the first step is made. Breaking well learned habbits isnt always easy... start forcing yourself to look at the positives - gives you something to think about other than drink!

Is not as hard as we think - we can change anything we want - if we want to.

I have an admission to make - here's my worst habbit and I thought I'd started getting it in control this week!!

Egg - arrives home, a bit hungry but not mega, coldy sneezy, tierd, moody grumpy and cos I'd planned to do lot's of stuff like dye hair, start xmas card designs, make soup, have a big long bath etc I thought I needed to eat and get that out of the way.......

Binged... I hate it when I do that. Started with a handful of nuts and a bannana. Then ate a pack of low fat chicken, then some more nuts then rice cakes low fat mayo and baked beans, then more nuts, then went next door and brought toffo's (bloody love them!), french fries and maltesers.. ate it all then ate the remaining nuts - was stuffed. Sat and thouht "you t**t" - was really fed up with myself. The only saving grace was that most wasnt too bad - the nuts and sweets wernt good.

Anyhow today I get on the scales and kel soup prize who's chucked on 2lb in a week... gutted

So - the point of this is that while I waffle on about how easy it is to give up drinking my food abuse goes on! I have decided to practice what I preach today - in that I have jumped back on the waggon. Normally I'd have joined the boys in a bacon sandwich this morning and also have sacked bringing lunch so I could binge through friday cos I might as well now I spoiled it last night... instead when I got up I forced myself to pull together lunch - rice cakes, tin of tuna and some veg's.

I feel fat and fed up today - BUT I'm just going to have to blank last night out and start again - again...

How's everyone else feeling about the weekend coming up?

I'm ok with drink but wondering how I am going to deal with the food this week - flippin eck... lol - what a life!

• Options
    Hi Egglett
    I sypathise completely. I've found myself putting on weight and eating much more since I cut right down on drinking but I think it's my bodies way of replacing the calories I was drinking. It is annoying though. I'm trying to stick to a very healthy diet but eating much more. Believe me you're not alone on this one as I'm feeling quite down about it too!
  • Options
    Thank god for that!! I seem to imagine that I am a freak of nature on this one... it's quite a comfort to know that it's not just me... I do sympathise!

I think mine stems from my childhood eating habbits.

If we were sick we'd get food treats - cream cakes etc to make us feel better

Thursday (shopping night) we used to get a treat... milky ways etc

Also we used to eat alot - proper home cooked stodge, but we never had weight problems because we used to bike everywhere (lived by the sea in the country), run around and swim loads in the summer.

I still see weekend and vizualize "food frenzie" - used to be "Food and Booze till I cannot take anymore please"...

I'm letting myself off a bit cos giving up drink is a big thing, but I do want to start dealing with the food.

Have made some decisions today though:-

1. Buy loads of snack stuff that I can eat and eat and eat. Last night wasnt a mega distaster cos normally I'd have been eating cheese sandwhiches crisps sweets and guzzling wine...

2. Get back into running training. Been a bit dodgy the past few weeks - illness/injury etc. Am going to aim to run 1 mile in the morning and then follow my half marathon training plan.

That's enough for a start!

So cookie - do you follow any specific diet - when you do diet that is?
  • Options
    No. To be honest I don't need to diet at the mo. I slimmed right down for my wedding (I'm 5'10 and got down to 10 stone) but looking at the pics I was a bit thin. Have put 5 pounds on, seemingly all on my tummy (and I'm not pregnant!!!) and it looks awful as the rest of me is still slim. To get so "thin" before the wedding I ate
    Breakfast - slice of toast,marmite, juice
    Lunch - Tuna/cheese salad
    Tea - Whatever I fancied but a small portion
    And did an hour in the gym every other day. Obviously with doing the marathon plan off here I need to eat more than that but I was drinking at least a bottle of wine a day, 2 at weekends.
    You have made a major achievement giving up drinking!!!!! I would follow a low fat diet, 3 meals a day, and fruit snacks if you need them
  • Options
    God it's gonna be tough not drinking tonight after this afternoon!!!! Have to do it???
  • Options
    Blimey that does sound thin! Mind you my sis did the marathon this year and she's skinny as a rake... I would say that she eats well and pigs at the weekend - but nothing shows on her

I do think running gives your fat no where else to go but your belly!!

That's where mine all is - I'm proper egg shaped now! Skinny legs and rest of me but mid section means I am truley egg on legs!

Ref tonight - I am planning a run (to meet my new training schedule) then relax.... feel quite tierd today so might have an early night watching TV in bed. I never used to do that cos I used to go "friday" - great "get pissed"... usually polish off wine want more and then stumble to bed thinking where did that night go?

Dont do it - resist!!
  • Options
    Well I'm not as skinny as a rake but not to worry. I will resist as I have a 6 mile run to do tomorrow but I am off out with friends to watch the England match. I will have a couple but not binge into unconsciousness like I used to!
  • Options
    the run is before the match!!!!
  • Options
    Oh I forgot England was playing. My boyfriend says we're staying in tomorrow - but if the footy's on there's no way he'll resist a few beers... will have to drag him kicking and screaming onto the waggon at some stage!

I'm 5 9 by the way - currently a portley 13stone.. driving me barmy - been 13 stone for the past two-three years... cant shift a bean.

Eating's not got worse since not drinking - if anything it's better cos I must be intaking fewer cals just by avoiding beer and wine.. and then the mid week munching... but nope - not a bean has dropped... is very, very frustrating!

I long to be 11stone - or 10stone 7... I will dream, of this over the weekend
  • Options
    by the way happy weekend folks and COME ON ENGLAND!

• Options
    WHat size are you??? I'm a small build so no point comparing weights.
    I bet it's frustrating but I think I read earlier that you've been injured so that won't help!
    I've set up the England thing with my brother so I will definitely be drinking. But once a week for me is a big improvement. Would normally have 2 bottles of wine on a Friday so if I make it I will be chuffed! Sad or what!
    Have you worked out how many calories you are eating or kept a food diary? I've just started one
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Egglett have you ever tried planning a weeks food? I don't mean in a diet sense cos if your on a diet I guess you watch it very carefully.

When I thought about eating healthier I bought some healthy food recipe books and chose all my meals from them including snacks.

Toted up the shopping list and made sure that was all that went in the trolley. No rubbish because I'd chosen healthy recipies, I hope:)

Because I'd chosen the recipies I was really looking forward to trying them and making up the menu I found pretty good fun too, plus buying all the ingredients.

And it saves you money too, after the first few weeks of getting all the staples and spices in.

Couldn't possibly eat the amount of food I planned for either:)How you eat 2 bits of fruit 3litres of water all that meat Veg Carbs/ Protien I have no idea:)

Not sure if it would help but it might, I know virtually nothing about losing weightor dieting but I'm sure someone who knows the basics would do better.
  • Options
    The "planning a weeks food" idea works if you've got the willpower to stick to it. My problem is that if I have a bad day at work or feel tired I don't stick to it! But it is a good idea
  • Options
    Cookie - I'd class myself as medium build... size wise at the moment I'm in 14 bottoms and anthing from 14 - 18 up top. I have unfortunatley got big boobs which dont help the weight situtaion - nor the running at times!!

I have always suffered with colds - knock me out quite alot, having a bad spell of that at the minute. And I seem to injure myself a fair bit!! Used to be quite a lot booze inflicted, for example:-

1. First AT injury caused by - pogo dancing when drunk in huge heavy trainers... not sensible beahviour

2. Complete bottom of right leg bruised and mashed (very nasty) cos of falling down flight of stairs when completly trollied. Took months to get rid of bruises.... totally stupid behaviour!

3. Last AT injury caused by nearly falling whilst on last mile of first and only to date ten miler - followed by - guess what.... drunken pogo dancing in flip flops... STUPID GIRL!

You'd have thought they'd have put me off!

I think any cutting down's a good thing where drink's concerned, so enjoy the match

Two bottle of wine - I used to be there... glad I've stopped that!

Have been doing food diary's for so many years that I dont find they help me personally so am trying to go without for a bit.... I tend to eat around 1800 cals a day. I think that's about right for weight loss for my build/height/weight... but never seem to loose anything!
  • Options
    Avalaf - that sounds like perfect sence to me. I am good when I am organised... like Cookie I tend to be bad when I've had a naff day - or if I feel ill... comfort!

I think I do need to learn to prepare more - like you say. Is good policy

I do need to think about having "ready to grabs" at home...

I think I also get fed up of healthy food... I do eat healthy 80% of the time - but when I dont boy do I eat bad!! Chips, Butter and bread, cheese, maltesers - those are what you'd find me munching!

What I need to do is approach it like the not drinking. Dont like being chubby - need to change what I eat when I want to pig out....

How are you feeling by the way near end of day2?
  • Options
    Well for your height you are hardly a large size - I'm a 12 so you must be pretty toned!!!
    I think you've conquered your main problem. Could you cut back to 1400 on the days you don't train? (when you resume full training?) I eat less than 1800 cals (perhaps I should eat more, you're worrying me)
    Have got to go. WIll catch the thread later!
    Have a good evening all!
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to stay in the swimming pool tonight till 10 o'clock so I can't buy any and my ex is making sure I don't buy any before I go:)
  • Options
    I've done the calorie battle that many times I'm confused!!! Gym instructor said eat 1400, guess who was ill the end of that week! So then read should eat 2-2400 and felt that was too much and then from a few places or is it my own brain(??) I fathomed 1800 was about right.

Size is weird... I feel fat cos body is egg shaped (fat belly!) and obviously concious of the bumps at the top.. plus HATE double chin. But like i said earlier when you run lots there's no where else for it to go.

My friends moan at me cos I havent got an arse... but I say god put mine on the wrong way round (at the front!) LOL!

Cant have it all eh
  • Options
    Avalaf - good idea. I'm running tonight. What I did before the change in training plan this week was go to the gym.

I used to get in abour 8ish and by the time I'd had a shower and started tea it didnt seem so bad not drinking.

• Options
    Hi Egglett
    SOrry I just went but my signal went down on my computer. My bum has just started return but I have an awful tummy too!

Hope you have a booze free weekend. Have offered to drive to the pub tomorrow. I must be mad or being extra good but I feel a lot better tonight. No where near as tired as I normally would on a Friday. I guess eating more and not drinking as much is having a beneficial effect, even if I looks 4 months pregnant!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to all this, formums, jogging (well trying), no alchohol!!!!

I bought a treadmill 9 weeks ago, and jog/walk 30 mins, 6 days a week. I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to pound the streets just yet, I think the whole neighbourhood would beable to hear me gasping for breath after the first minute jogging.

I gave up booze 6 weeks ago, going from a 5 bottles of wine a week girl to nothing, wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, but it is different. When I gave up, my plan was to give up for 7 weeks, now with a week to go I'm thinking, do I really want to drink again? However a holiday in Ibiza in 10 days, I can't see me not having a tipple then!!!!

I think you've all done fantastically well on your no drinking quests and long may you all continue.

Have a good weekend
  • Options
    Allycat - well done! It's weird that once you give it up it's not as hard as you thought. Mind you holiday and no booze is another matter!!

Regards your running I'd just say keep at it. It's great if you can run outside, you cant beat it - but you do need to feel comftable. I still wear big baggy stuff.. I love it now the colds here again!

I had another booze free one - not very good on the food front!! Still today I am trying to start anew. Got up at 6.15am this morning and achived my first goal of the week - I am trying to instigate a mile run every morning. This will be extra to my normal runs. A mile is enough to kick start you and was ok - very very quiet though.. a bit scary! A stray dog ran out and looked me up and down - that was scary too!

30 mins is good going - doesnt matter if it's run/walk - keep at it - you'll be suprised how quick to stop panting so much!!

How's everyone else?

Cookie - did you do footy and a pint in the end?
  • Options
    morning Egglett,have you checked out the running apparel at Aldi?.

i called in on friday and got 2 running tops and a jacket for £24.

did a race time of 1:55 on the Liverpool half yesterday,just waiting for my chip time(which hopefully will be 10 mins less)

did you manage to get out running yhis weekend? and are you still T total.
  • Options
    Well done that Kippers boy! That's a great time, bet you were chuffed with that eh?

Aldi sounds worth a visit - which one? Farnworth?

I am pleased to report that although I didnt go to the Bronte race (boooo) I did achive my first weeks half marathon training to plan (6 miler yesterday) and in doing so have got rid of the dreaded cold!! Yipeeeee.... I also managed to haul my bod out of bed for a one mile jog this morning.

Am going to try and do a mile every morning before work. I think it will help me with running in general and mabey kick my metabolism into action!

Yep - booze free lady still. Is funny - I was sat in a pub at the weekend looking at all the drinks behind the bar asking myself which do you want..... none! I have even realised that diet coke is boring to dirnk. My fav still is sparkly water - specially with ice and a slice!

Seven weeks today
    Am happy about that
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Grats on the running and non boozing and good morning all. I managed Thursday/Friday and Sunday but Saturday was my turn to go out so had a few with friends. Should be booze free in theory now until a week on Saturday. Will see how it goes. Once the initial days are over it doesn't seem to hard. I even had almost a normal sleep last night.

Still can't run more than 2 miles though, hoping to up my mileage to 2and 1/4 for this weeks runs. Will see how the knees like it.

Nice one on the morning runs Egg, not sure I'm that dedicated yet.
  • Options
    well done Egglett,yes the Aldi at Farnorth.
  • Options
    Egglet - I did my jog/walk at 8am yesterday, I'd heard that it sets u up for the day and its true, felt great all day. Can only do that at weekends tho, as have to get son to school. Treadmill broke after we'd had it for 6 weeks, so as it took a week for repairman to come, hubby and me ran round block a few times during the week, which is a mile and took about 12 mins. But it killed, I think its much easier on a treadie. I can cover 2.5 miles in 30 mins, but can only just manage 1 mile out on the street.

At the moment I'm just sticking to 30 mins but trying to increase the distance I do, do you think thats better than increasing the time and not bothering about how far you run.

As for food, have u tried weightwatchers points diet, I swear by it, have lost 1.5 stone in 3 months, with a combination of diet, starting jogging and most importantly giving up the booze.