Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options
    Allycat - I've done weight watchers a few times.... I'm not sure what the answer for me is, got to get my head round it. I'm brill most of the week... by Thurs I get the picky wanna eat loads head on and I ususally have a binge at some stage then overeat at the weekend. I need to get my head round changing my attitude to food. Mind you I havent lost a bean since I stopped drinking and I would say I probably eat less cos I'm not drink bingeing - I think my metabolism is up the shoot hence trying to kick it off with morning runs

Anyhow well done on the weight loss and well done on the not boozin...

Ref the running - I hate treadmill, find it boring - I can only manage 30mins max cos then I'm bored of not seeing anything different! I think most people say that road running is harder... well not harder as such but different. You got wind and hilly bits and stuff to contend with.... all of it's about keeping going and pushing yourself a bit harder every now and then.

I'm not sure what to say ref speed/distance/time. I'd say your doing the right thing if your enjoying it - running faster burns more cals... quicker way to leaner leggies!!

What's every one else think?

Avalaf - cool news! Bet you do feel better.. is amazing how quick you adjust and how quick you can start to see benefits of not over drinking.
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert but I thought your fat burning zone was around 70% of MHR or running slowly anyway as that burns fat where as running fast uses glycogen stores. Still burns more calories but they are calories your body will replace and store as they are needed.

Could be complete rubbish but with the reading I've done thats how I interpretted it.

Maybe start looking elsewhere other than your exercise regime and what you eat Egglet to kick start the weight loss again. It's always sounded that you exercise for more calories than your eating.

Not really feeling better yet, will do I guess once I start sleeping properly.

Allycat, all the advice here tends to be increase time on feet initially. But 6 days a week is pretty good going and a lot more than I could manage. Plus you need easy days to let your body recover or rest days to let it repair the muscle tissue so it gets stronger. Again there are many people muc better placed to answer that here:)
  • Options
    Avalaf - just re-reading - two miles is decent - specially afetr 12 year break. When I started trying to up my distances I've always found it easier to do it gradually.

I usually try and walk the extra bit until my brain kicks in and demands I run it! Is interesting how quick you want to get that little bit extra. I have a bad tendancy to over do things though. I'm following one of the training plans now to keep me from overtraining

Ahh well - where's that salad bowl it's feeding time!
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, I overdid it initially hence me being stuck at 2 miles, the lungs are willing but the knees aren't been to the physio and the podio and basically I have no balance/weak quads/wobbly ankles/my knee cap floats a bit/one of the tightest hamsttrings hes seen and to cap it all of I think he said in medical terms that I had a big bum and it needed some work:)

I'm now being very strict with myself:( its soo dull.

Egglet, just re-read my own post its not very clear, I was thinking maybe you should take a diet holiday and not worry about it for a couple of weeks, then if your weight goes up you would have expected it too and you know you can get it off again and hopefully go below where you were stuck at and hey if it goes down even better:) not scientific at all but maybe your body has just got used to surviving of what you give it.
  • Options
    Hi all, can just about sit down now after giving myself a big kick up the @rse. Was doing okay at weekend until a bottle of wine found its way into shopping trolley.

Tried justifying it as reward for 10K on Sunday, although time wasn't special. Done it in 42mins when rest of year have been doing sub-42. Was windy though.

As for question on increasing distance/time, it is definitely more important to gradually increase the time spent running and ignore the actual distance. Distance will naturally increase anyway.

Okay back to the decorating, that will teach me!!
  • Options
    42 mins for a 10k

THUD
  • Options
    ill second that p/h THUD THUD
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    LOL thats what I thought, nice time:)

I'm quite pleased tonight too as i just cut 5 mins of my 1k swim time. After my run and cycle too. Maybe theres sommething in this no booze lark:)
  • Options
    thats the spirit no pun intended sorry
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Ok im now goal driven, just signed up for that triathlon thing on the front page:)

Oh deary deary me!
  • Options
    Blimey i'd have been chuffed to bits with that time nuts!

I'm never going to be fast... not till I drop weight and get a boob reduction that is!

My goals tend to be how long and far I can run. I'm not a very competative sole - when I do races I am just chuffed to finish... cant really remember times - too knackered!! LOL!

Well have completed second morning of 1 mile run before sun up. Is a very weird time of day to run. My brain was in that "no - I dont wanna" already this morning but sensible girl went "you get your arse out there!".... so I did.

Is the slowest mile in the world...but I'm feeling better for doing it - plus on late weeks I've then got half hour to kill so can cool down and wacth tv. was wrapping presents this morning - cant believe it!!!

triathlon ey avalaf... that sounds interesting. When/where?
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Impressed your getting out there inthe mornings Egglett, its freezing out there:)

The tri is the Ironman one in switzerland next July.

Should be interesting for a complete beginner to anything:)
  • Options
    Cor that sounds fab!! It's the taking part that counts... what sort of distances?

That'll be excellent though, great place to visit.

Mornings is funny - I have the alarm going off three times!! Then it's get dressed with eyes shut and one last "do I really want to do this?"!

Am hoping it'll help with half marathon training - you know kind of base training (not really sure what that is but it sounds good!!!LOL)

Nuts - dont worry about the wine... I think you deserved that.

I'm off to my best boozin buddie's this weekend - that'll be weird! We're talking what no-alcoholic drinks I can have, and I'm laughing already cos I'll be able to rib her about what a state she was instead of the other way round!!

What's your plan for training up then avalaf?
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    It's 2.5 swim/112cycyle/26run I believe.

Plan for training, hmm, think I better go and think about that one:)

Your friends accepted your no boozing now then.
  • Options
    Cripes!! Well at least it's something to aim for. Can you do it over a week - hee heee!!

Sounds like you might need a master plan eh - but at least that'll keep you busy and off the booze!! Got to be a positive eh.

yeah - most of my friends are pretty cool about it all. H who I'll see Saturday will find it very weird cos we've always been the booze twins in the gang. We go on booze crazed holidays and when we meet up there's never wine or stella far from us! We've been in very bad states for years when we've been out. She's accepted that I cant do it anymore. Just cant.

The worst people are my boyfriends mates - they just cant cope with me not drinking. I think they think I've gone bonkers (secretly have always been mad - flip ding boing! LOL) they say "are you sure you dont want a drink, you cant just drink water all night" - they drive me mad, "you wont enjoy the night" - "you cant do kareoke sober"... etc etc

Is funny though - I started thinking I'd do 4 weeks and then go back and drink sensibly - just saturday's. But now I just think what's the point?

It is weird and sometimes very very very boring to be sober!! But we've all got a cross to bear eh!
  • Options
    Egglet - I so agree with your "whats the point". My 7 week stint of soberness end this Saturday, I'm thinking, "Sunday, I can drink again........but whats the point".

I want to beable to drink moderately, one or two glasses of wine 2 or 3 times a week, but we've spent so many years of hubby of to the local shop, 2 bottles of wine, one each, 5 or 6 times a week, and I'm scared that we'll drift back into our old ways and, I really don't want to go back there.

What we've said to ourselves is that we won't drink and home anymore, but if we want a drink we'll go to the pub. So maybe we'll try that

Wish us luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'll wish you luck and hope that you achieve it, it'll be so much more rewarding than sitting on the couch watching rubbish on TV drinking for the sake of it. At least in the pub your interacting with life.
  • Options
    I agree with avalaf. I actually like the pub atmosphere and now I've discovered sparkly water with ice and a slice I'm usually pretty happy with that.

Sitting at home drinking is a funny one, I used to so enjoy that but I always remember that feeling of getting to the end of a bottle of wine (say on a weds night!!) and thinking - bloody hell it's only 8pm. SCary how quick you can polish off wine, I ususally drank alone as well so that's even worse!!

Well done on 7 weeks - and the fact that your hubby's joined in must be a great help.

I dont think I could ever just have two glasses... I know that I'd fall straight back into the old trap!
  • Options
    Hubby joining me was a must, I couldn't have done it without his support. He has had a few nights out and he has drank, got out of his face and slept on sofa....couldn't have him breathing on me all night....yuk. As long as he wasn't buying bottles of wine and drinking them in front of me I was ok with that.

Don't know how old you all are, but we're probably older at 41 and 44, so sitting in a pub doesn't appeal to me anymore, been there done that in my 20's, not that i'm an old fogey, I still like a good party, but unfortunately they are few and far between now. Last one was my son's 18th, nearly 2 years ago, fantastic night, danced and drank til I dropped, litterally.

I know what you mean about the speed you can drink a bottle, 30 minutes between the two of us usually for the first, slightly longer for the second and the third........well need I go on.
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'm 35 and the pubs I like are ones that always have seats available, preferably an open fire and a light buzz rather than blaring music:)
  • Options
    Sounds like we all like similar pub type... I'm 37 (eeeek how'd that happen!) and I must admit I hate busy noisy pubs.

Have just been asked if I mind if we go out tonight to watch the footy - guess what sort of pub!!! Loud - massive sports bar.. have said ok but would rather be at home - now that is being an old fogey eh!!

I like pubs with seats and good company. It doesnt bother me not drinking in the atmosphere

I know what you mean ref the beer breath - I'll get that treat tonight - oh joy!!
  • Options
    I suppose they're ok, we moved to a different area a year ago and the local pub does food, we've been there for a meal a few times, thats ok, they also do a quiz night on a Sunday, that'd be ok..........god I sound boring, I'll be on the bingo next.......

Hubby likes to go to town on a Saturday, I tell him he's to old now, but does he listen, he still enjoys it. Last time I went into town was Easter Time about 3 years ago, mother-in-law had kids for weekend, so we went to town. I got so drunk, I fell over on way home and really hurt myself, said then I'd never go to town drinking again and never have.
  • Options
    Alleycat your hubby sounds just like my boyfriend!! He's just getting over his first mid-life crisis and is already teetering on his 2nd! He goes "out with the lads" every friday - I cant be bothered! I either go to the gym or for a run or round to a friends.... I sound dull now!!! I just dont enjoy town nights. Every now and then as a one off but not regular!

You're not the only one heading along the bingo line LOL!
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    You could get them to do an Ironman instead as thier mid life crisis. Appears to be what I'm doing:)
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Good morning.
    Had my first work night out with free booze all night, didn't touch a drop so fairly happy. Ironically I still feel rotten this morning as I'm choked with the cold and a sore throat. ARRGHH.
  • Options
    Well done Avalaf! Shame about feeling rough - and just how typical is that!! Get some Vit C's - I sear by a huge dose of that and good old Paracetamol.

We had a weird night - the footy was dull so we left town fairly quick... I only had one soda water!! Were going to go and have a nice pub tea but Andy felt rough (he's got the cold this week) so we went to the chippy instead and then got in bed at 9pm... ZZZzz'd city! Lurvley!

Today am having the day from hell at work - made some HUGE error's yesterday so ow awaiting big bollocking - might have a tear later! Is one of those days when I used to drown my sorrows at night - you know the one, local shop way too local!

Instead I am thinking of using my run to let off steam and then chill with Tv and candles after a hot bath.... much better idea!

Well done Mr - you should be chuffed. Not drinking can be boring sometimes but it doesnt have to stop you doing what you'd normally do
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Is the footy ever not dull:) They were talking football all night last night, but a couple of us managed to steer them onto Rugby.

Provided your not a brain surgeon or similiar, yesterdays huge error I'm sure can be fixed. Just remind your boss that the buck stops with him/her and why wasn't he/she supervising you appropriately to pick the mistake up and that if his/her lax attitude continues you will have to have words:)

OK perhaps not.

Definately take it out on your run instead, much more satisfying:) Good book in the bath surrounded by candles was my Ex's idea of heaven:)
  • Options
    I think I used to like footy when I was drunk!! What I noticed last night was that alot of people were watching with pints aloft but looked bored... I think it's the fact that it's an excuse to drink that brings out most people. I find men's footy talk a bit hard to deal with - I usually end up saying "it's only a game" - I find it facinating that some people get so annimated about it... it's a ball with air in (oh now watch - I'll be in trouble!!)

Ref the big mistake is all died down now. Is good job I'm not a brain surgeon I can tell you!! my colleague calls me "Dori" - you might have seen Finding Nemo - I have to admit I think they modelled her on me!!

I like bath and candles - with music, find books get too wet to read - Oh ark at me - a comedian now!
  • Options
    Footy, was there football on last night??

You wouldn't beleive I live in a house with 4 of the male species, you will very rarely see footy on our telly. In fact when the Euro cup thingy was on, it was me that wanted to watch a few of the England games. Hubby's never been into sport, watching or playing, unless he's been invited to a special event by his bosses, then he only used to go for the free beer. I think thats why none of my sons are into sports, haven't had the fatherly encouragement.

Avalaf, I think you done great not drinking last night, I think I'd have a major problem with that, would find it much to hard. Have been out with a non drinking friend a few times since giving up which was fine, but to be in a party atmosphere, with everyone else drinking, all I can say is very well done you.

Egglet, I'd definately have a good run to get over your rotten day, I heard that exercise is supposed to release feel good things into your body, is it endorpins or something? I always feel really good after my 30 min jog/walk, and the weekend is just around the corner.....keep smiling
  • Options
    I packed in drinking nearly four years ago.
    Everyone thinks you must have been an alcofrolic when you tell them.
    Best thing ive ever done , i wish i had never touched a drop ever!!.

Hope you manage it ,Good luck

TIM