Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Good work Schmnks.

I need some goggle recommendations. The ones I have now are fine for about the first 30 mins but then they feel like they are going to suck my eyeballs out. What are people using?

• I use Zoggs Athena model which are specifically for women.

Saffers,  my OW swim was postponed to Monday as LJS wants to do it too and is working today. Bike ride tomorrow.

• Thanks Wolf. I'll check them out though I don't think I have a particularly femine looking head. It's a right boof thanks to my father's genes.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Goggles are tricky because what suits one person won't suit someone else.  Have you tried undoing the strap a bit, LN?  You might just have them a bit tight.
  • I use Speedo Speed Sockets LN.  They were uncomfortable on the nose at first but now feel OK.

Not really liking my new silver condom cap tho' - it tries to wiggle off.  Either I have a wee pea head or there's a knack to the hair-stuffing procedure.

• Parklife wrote (see
    Not really liking my new silver condom cap tho' - it tries to wiggle off.  Either I have a wee pea head or there's a knack to the hair-stuffing procedure.
    PL - A trick I picked up yesterday is to wet your hair and wet the cap.  That way you get more suction of the cap to your head.  I have not tried it so cannot vouch whether it works or not but two women did it at the Swimathon yesterday and their caps stayed on
  • Have just spoken to my Mentor so have fulfilled my duties and obligations there.   Like I said, not much of a report really.  Session was advertised as starting at 6.30 and we had received a mail telling us to be there 30 mins before start time for registration.  When I got to the pool at 5.45, there were notices saying public swimming ends at 7 for Swimathon image.  So someone had boobed there and it was a bit unsettling as I had deliberately timed my self-HTFU chat specifically for a 6.30 start.

Killed 45 mins chatting with everyone else who had turned up expecting a 6.30 start, swapping stories etc etc and then we registered.  As it turned out, two of the other ladies I spoke to were also in my lane.  As was a lad of 8, and a torpedo of a bloke.

We all set off at our times and it was like being in a washing machine.  Being a swimmer of the nervous variety I hung in the corner at the end of each length to allow the others to overtake.  The 8-year old was very very speedy.  The torpedo was ignorant, constantly overtaking on the length (that itself was not a problem) but was doing so into the path of someone coming the other way.  Also, he did not let us slower ones tuck ourselves in at the end of a length before he turned round and kicked off the wall.  On one length he kicked me (albeit accidently) which rather unsettled me.

Anyways, the torpedo and the 8 year old finished their 60 lengths together (high fives to the 8 year old) and so us three ladies were left to plod along and it worked really well.  We were all swimming at roughly the same speed so there was no need to overtake or tuck in at the end of lengths.  One lady did her 100 breaststroke and got out of the pool whilst me and the other lady had about 20 lengths to do.  So we continued to plod along smiling and encouraging each other as we crossed on each length. We then decided, as we were the only two in the lane and we were swimming at a similar pace, that we would finish together, so she hung around for me at the other end of the pool and we finished our last length together. image

I intended to do (3xFC + 1xBS) x 25 and am pleased to report I did exactly that.  I did stop at times to allow people to pass at the ends of lengths but I did not take 'proper' rest intervals.  I completed it in 1:37:29.  Last year's time was 1:49:10 and that was heads up BS all the way (and I am not convinced the lap counter was correct; I don't think I did enough lengths last year). 

I had a headache after about 20 lengths (wonder if my cap was too tight or the smell of latex) and when I got out I had wobbly legs.  I made it to the changing room but had an overwhelming feeling of nausea.  The lady who finished with me plied me with coke and Mars bars and I was soon feeling better.  Managed to get to my car where, once on my own, I broke down in tears and sobbed for a wee while.  Swallowed a dollop of HTFU and drove home and downed a bottle of alcoholic ginger beer before snuggling up under a blanket and chilling out for an hour before bed.

And now my medal is hanging on my bedstead image (Just need someone in bed with me to make it rattleimageimage)

• Excellent improvement Schmunkee, almost 12 mins better. You are doing really well.
  • Cheers UIW.  The time improvement is welcome, but I am more chuffed with the ratio of FC to BS, going from 100% head-up breastroke to 75% front crawl
  • That's brilliant news Schmunks!

Head up breaststroke is dead as far as I'm concerned. I'm a head in girl now.

And I can do 100m FC without stopping now! I know its a baby step, but even so.....image

• imageimage LB imageimage.  Here's to the 200m.  It won't take half as long to get to that point, m'dear.
  • In all honesty Schmunks, I reckon I had a bit more in me. I will go for more tomorrow!

Thanks honey! Its nice somebody "gets it"image

• You know my back story.  Plugged away at 50m for months, one session with The Lovely Gentleman, given some pointers, went 100m, 200m, and then 400m all in one week.  Ok, the 400m had tiny breathers at the end of each later length but still did it. And did 2.5k swimathon yesterday - albeit a mix of FC and BS

You can too!

• I'm on just under four miles for the month so far. I haven't swum more than a mile in a month for thirty years. I'm not really putting huge distances in because I have discovered the joy of drills and I've been getting a little bit of help from all kinds of unexpected places! I had a retired swim teacher give me a few pointers in the pool this morning and a swim teacher stayed behind after a tots session yesterday to help me improve my stroke! I guess those who are passionate about their sport are interested in progressing me. When I change gyms (in the next fortnight) I will book some formal lessons and see how I go!

I FEEL different about swimming. I KNOW it looks better than it did and I KNOW I can do it if I put the effort in.

But there doesn't appear to be a shortcut to achieving it -hard work is the key! image

• And your right to do the drills.  One piece of valuable advice from TLG was to do just that as there is no point doing length after length if your technique is not correct as you will only just tire yourself out and reinforce bad habits.  My mentor semi-seriously suggested I did the swimathon all FC but I did not want to get into a bad form.  Doing three FC and one BS was enough to keep my technique and the BS gave me a rest interval.

Drills will isolate part of the stroke or kick and create the muscle memory.  I was advised to do tow lengths of drills followed by two lengths without the swim aid.  Rinse and repeat.  Best to do it this way and then you don't build up a reliance on the swim aid

Keep up the good work, Girly

• Thanks Schmunks! I was AMAZED at how much better by non aided lengths were after catch up drills!

Its a good lesson to learn - even at my advanced age! image

• You're never too old to learn, my love

(Or in your case. you can teach an old dog new tricks image)

• Just got to learn to knit now. That's something I'm really crap at too.

Calling Beebs! image

• LB - everyone on here 'gets it' hence the crap swimmers title.  Most have struggled and been through what you are going through now. First 25 metres was a challenge, then 50 then 100 etc. Then things slowly begin to click and longer distances do seem easier. Course like me there's still loads of room for improvement on the technique but I can do the distance easier. Think back to your first running days. That wasn't easy either was it? You're doing fab. Keep up the great work. x
  • Thanks Wolf and Parklife for the goggle tips.

Mr W - I know everyone's face is different, it's a bit like running shoes I guess but just wondered if there were some particularly popular ones. I have tried to loosen the strap a bit but then the goggles were too loose to begin with. Had a flashback this morning to a swim instructor telling me some goggles have bits near the nose that can be adjusted so will investigate those as well.
  • Yay Schmunkee - well done on the swimathon that's awesome work!!!

I wasn't quite as brave as you - I entered the 5km team class, with Cake and one of my friends who's doing her first tri august bankhol.  My plan when I entered was to be able to do my section all crawl (I was doing 800m crawl at that point), I hit my target, and faster than expected - 1650m in just over 40mins (I think 40:17 but times not up yet) image

The lanes weren't the best set up for me.... I thought as a team we had to do the event as a relay, but when we got there they wanted 2 of us to set off at the same time due to lane allocations, I had to wait till a space became free.  They came and asked me if the second lane was OK, I said I was expecting to be faster than the people in it as they were all breastroke (3 people heads up, 2 down)  and asked if it was likely if people would know what I meant if I tapped their feet?  I was told no, and that it was fine to overtake down the middle.  One guy was very rude and didn't wait at the end when I was behind, but the others generally did, but there was such a speed difference I probably only did 10 lengths (out of 50) without having to overtake.  On at least 5 lengths I had to change to breastroke or tread water as I couldn't overtake because there were people coming the other way image

I briefed my parents & brother last night on where I would like birthday vouchers from so I can get a wetsuit ready for May's OW practice image

• Schmunks - what a fantastic swimathon report and what an amazing achievement.  Great to hear about your time improvement too - you must be so chuffed.  image
  • LN - Have a look at the Aqua Sphere Kaiman googles only £11.99

Excellent fit, clear or tinted and anti fog. Got mine off ebay
  • LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

In all honesty Schmunks, I reckon I had a bit more in me. I will go for more tomorrow!

Thanks honey! Its nice somebody "gets it"image

I'm 'getting it' at the moment LB - I'm a little way behind you.  I've done 75M, so working up to 4 lengths.  Tomorrow I go to the public pool for (one-armed) drills.  It's usually busy so I'll have to go in the slow lane and wait for someone to ask me what's wrong with my other arm.  image

• Thank you RIPP. Those goggles were well reviewed on Wiggle too.

Great effort Becky, even though it must have been frustrating at times.
  • Schmunkee!!! imageimageimageimageimage

A big well done!

http://www.plasticvicar.com/drop/gold-star-big.png

• Well done Schmunks & Becky image Great swimming all round. Schmunks, you've come a long way really quickly, good on you girl!

I did a 1500m swim yesterday, but it took me an hour. I felt pretty tired, so it was a bit of a struggle. I just can't seem to speed up at all. Instructor thinks my technique is getting a lot more consistent, and that it is pretty good. I think maybe I just need to build up some more strength in my arms? I'm a bit worried the Bala swim will take me 90 mins image Starting OW swimming soon, so that is something at least. Hopefully i'll do better this week image
  • Thanks for good wishes on swim but I, erm, had an, erm, bike crash, erm, today and I, erm, ended up in A&E image

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Was on a cycle lane and slowed down as people on bikes were coming the other way.  I was in front of mate but she was day-dreaming and didn't notice I was slowing down (as I am still nervous about passing others closely).  she hit my back wheel, tried to get out of her toe clips, couldn't, put her arm against a wall, couldn't slow down, wrenched her shoulder.  I couldn't unclip in time so she brought us both down and we ended up in a crumbled mass of bikes and limbs.  Luckily, one of the other people was a Dr so he assessed mate, diagnosed a broken or dislocated shoulder and told us we needed to get to A&E somehow.  

Suprisingly, none of us had a mobile on us and as we were too far from home to sort ourselves out, I had to hobble to the nearest pub and call an ambulance. I took both bikes with me and the Landlord called the ambulance for me and drove me back to mate.  The ambulance came, took her away, and then Landlord packed our bikes in the back of his 4x4, took me to LBS to drop mine off for repair (for some reason back wheel will not turn and the gear cable seems to have been stretched and I want to get it checked out for other damage).  He then dropped me and mate's bike back at my house.

Then I had to get myself to A&E to check on mate and get myself checked over.  Mate had shoulder manipulated back in place and I have one wrist and ankle strapped.  We must have looked a right pair hobbling out of A&E together image

So, it's been a rather interesting day image and like Hope, I am not sure I wanna get back on a road bike.  I love my hybrid and felt really safe on it.  The road bike is the devil's spawn

Anyone fancy the bike leg of Bala?

• Most people swim faster in OW (with wetsuits) Pea. Here's hoping for us.

The swimsmooth website talks about getting your stroke rate up or down to a better zone to improve speed. But I know I've got other things to work on so my stroke rate will improve ie rotation and breathing. I was asking a swim instructor the other week about strength and he said while it can help to some degree, it's not the big muscley guys you see coming out of the water first in triathlons.