Options

Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I can feel liquid sometimes slipping down the back of my throat. Do you lot feel the same or is this just me?image
    I think that's a whole different lifestyle choice, and perhaps for a different type of forum?! imageimageimage
  • Options
    Blimpy wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I can feel liquid sometimes slipping down the back of my throat. Do you lot feel the same or is this just me?image
    I think that's a whole different lifestyle choice, and perhaps for a different type of forum?! imageimageimage
    Blimpy!!!! imageimageimage
  • Options

Snot bubbles - no, but I do get a lot of water up there and I have to squeeze it out at the end of each length.  I am debating about wearing a nose clip to see if it helps.

Water down throat - yes.  I have been told to put my tongue on the roof of my mouth when I inhale.  This is supposed to stop water going down the throat.  Have not tried it myself so cannot vouch as to whether it works or not

• Options
    I blow through my nose though Schmunks on BS so I can't wear a nose clip. I just seem to blow snot bubbles and it isn't attractive.....image
  • Options

image Well done Soupyimage  Fantabulous....you will see such an improvement.

I am just back from tri club myself and I can never remember exactly what we did but blinking loads. image It was 800m warm up for starters. Concentrating on the push through on the stroke and high elbow.  The Coach had us out of the water and had us standing with arms straight and pushing down on his hands and then with bent elbow to see the difference in the pressure created.  All seemed to make sense.

Had us back in the pool then for drill sessions and told me I must get fins and paddles....so they are the next purchase.  Fingertip drills and catch ups were on the menu tonight.  He put me in my own lane so that I didn't feel so pressured by the others speed.   I think he was getting a tad cross with some of the Hunks in Trunks and their speedy stuff cos at one point he asked if they could go as slow as "Saffy" image who the hell is Saffy???? image Explained the purpose of the session was technique and to slow it down.........I asked if he would like me to go slower image and he just laughed and said not necessary!! LOL

He was very encouraging and said my technique is good....speed will come.  He is suggesting I try the endurance sessions in the 50m poolimage.  Now that is scary but something to think about.

I love tri club. image

• Options
    Regarding pause and bilateral.

if you have a pause on one side, it is possible that stroke is not symmetrical. Often this will be because rotation is not equal on both sides.  The 6-3-6 drill mentioned some pages back is a good one for rotation.

To improve bilateral breathing I would suggest trying some 6-3-6.  Then one arm drills.  Then full stroke bilateral breathing with breathing .  If starting out keep the drill short (doesnt have to be a length of the pool) and slow but try for perfect form.  So long full stroke.

Bilateral breathing is about symmetry.  Good rythym helps symmetry.  One way to help rhythm is to breathe out as each hand enters the water, then in as rotate.  This creates an out-out-in rhythm which helps the timings on both sides. The rhythm can be reinforced by actual saying out out in to yourself.  This has been mentioned before as a help to breathe out under water - but it is also a useful way to get breathing in rhythm with stroke.
  • Options

Schumks - your gym's tri club sounds like it would be perfect for me.

Soup - I'm going to nick that schedule for my morning sessions and try it out tomorrow.

• Options

final swim before my foray into the mad, bad world of triathlons tonight.

This week, I shall be mainly taking it easy image

• Options
    I have a dream... One day when I swim I will move forward in the water
  • Options
    image Most of my dreams involve chocolate, wine, beer, and sometimes cheese. Blimpy nice one. image
  • Options

Schmunks - that club sounds fab.

Well I went to my local tri club tonight and it was o-kay. I joined 'lane one' that was just focussed on drills but of the 6 others, 5 of them were pretty damn fast so I only ended up doing about half the session. I didn't learn very much but the coach was fairly young and he was naturally (and understandably) trying to help the members. He did however ask if I was going to go back. I can't next Thursday as I have a much better offer image but will probably go back the week after next. A lot of the club looked in their early 20's and very fit so I felt a bit out of place. I realise though this was only one session and going certainly didn't do any harm. 

Weirdly for the first time ever, when I started the session I had that water down the back of my throat feeling. Weird!! I wonder if it was part nerves and/or because the water was really choppy. 

BUT the piece to resistance was when I went back into the locker room and my feckin lock wouldn't open. It was stucker than a stuck thing. The sessions are done at a chain of my gym so there were lots of locks that looked like mine. I was sure I had the right lock but because I was fairly nervous when I went, I was worried I had the wrong lock so I spent the next 40 mins cold and checking all the other red locks in the room, and then checking them again, and then checking the one I thought it was, and then checking the others again, and then checking the one ... well you get the drift. I didn't have my purse on me so I was bit worried about having someone else's lock cut!! However , in the end I got a cleaner to cut the lock and sure enough, it was my stuff. I now have a bright yellow (far more Piratey anyhow) lock and shall put some squiggles or something on it so it stands out even more. What a night. 

And I'm just ever more grateful for the Pirates and all the support I get on here, and the friends I'm making, really really thanks. 

• Options

what an anticlimax LN. image  Bummer about the lock.  I had to have my lock cut off once and the staff never questioned me at all - it could have been anyone's!

There was one other person at my club night at my speed.  I did all the lengths which meant everyone else got a good rest in between the different sets but I had to just turn round and go back again!  On one set I stood up and waited with the group to find out what came next only to be reminded that I hadn't finished and got sent off for another 2 lengths. I couldn't get out of doing the whole lot.  I learned quite a lot - why not come along to Uxbridge?  Its a bit further but not that bad once a week?

I've been really tired today.  Planned to do a slow run but fell asleep when I got home from work. I still can't believe that I managed to swim that far.  Off to see the bike whisperer again tomorrow at the local track so that's it for swimming now till the next tri session on Monday (gulp).

• Options
    I'm not surprised you are tired Soup after doing Brighton and you had a really good swim sesion yesterday. Good going!

Anticlimax is a really good word to describe tonight. I don't want to give up on this club just yet as it'd be nice to meet more local people so will give it a bit longer and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Options
    Oh and I got the gym to replace the lock too because it was fairly new.
  • Options

LN....sounds like quite a night.   Well done for going along. I have the same issue with some of the speedier swimmers and am sometimes 2 lengths behind but just try not to get flustered.  They all just wait for me to start the next drill set.

Stick with it lovey! image

• Options
    Thanks Saffers. They didn't really wait for me but thanks for the encouragement. They are actually quite a serious club so need to remember that too. I couldnt' do all the laps because it'd have held them up ie they'd lap me and didn't want to do that.
  • Options

Oh I have em lapping me too. image  A bit off putting at times but getting used to it.......  Yesterday was a different Coach and he didn't make them wait for me which at first I didn't like.....LOL....made me fill a right plodder and then he put me in a lane on my own. image  Talk about pick out the numptey......BUT...it was good for me to have the lane to myself......he didn't want me to panic as they overtook which caused me less fluster and I relaxed more.

You just stick with it girl!  You will be whooping their butts before long. image

• Options
    Thanks Saffers. Kinda nice to know I'm not alone. I'll give the session more of a push next time. I was also stopping so I could hear what the coach was saying at the end of the sets.
  • Options
    It's not easy being the newby....especially when we are the slowest!  This week was my 4th session and the first time I didn't feel sick....LOL.  Gotta be brave to even get there in the first place. image
  • Options
    I got lapped too.  And I was in the "slow" lane.  I swallowed loads of water in the turbulance of someone speeding past me and was coughing as I got to the end just as the trainer asked my name.  They now think I'm called "Juliet" which I'm not but that's how it came out with the choking and spluttering.  I was too tired to correct them. image
  • Options
    image you'll be surprised how quickly crapness becomes reasonable.  Sadly I have not managed to pass reasonable it is now just a lot easier! Same speed less effort! I started and was useless and it took a few weeks and lone practice sessions to develop the endurance to last the hour!
  • Options
    Now I am looking for less effort and more speed!!!  Any speed would be good..... image  I dread the sprint bits in the session cos I have no speed at all.........just plod along pretending to myself I am sprinting. image
  • Options
    Thank you all. I do feel better now. x
  • Options
    When I first started swimming, some time last year, I was being lapped by the OAP's (there is an early morning group) who could barely walk from the foyer to the changing rooms. Seriously.
    Now I hammer them. image)
  • Options

LOL Soup at Juliet. image  I used the warm-up, drills and sets you posted at my sesh this morning.  Although I should probably be concentrating on technique, it was nice to mix it up and it really kept me going.  That touching armpit one was interesting - I felt like a swimming baboon.

I've decided to go to the tri club session next Friday.  I've read through the comments on here and I just need to bite the bullet.  *Gulps*

• Options

Go for it! It really will help you.

Our coach likes that armpit drill too. she also has one where you do hand to armpit, fling hand out to the side, then to armpit again.

• Options
    Parklife....you will love it and see the benefits within a matter of weeks!  I have now been and got myself some fins......as the coach was nagging that I needed them!  I did feel like telling him to write a letter to hubby explaining another expense. image  Hey ho.....I can always move in with me mother. image
  • Options

That would be extreme devotion to swimming Saffers for me, even entertaining the thought of moving back in with my mum. 

... and I can't imagine I'm gonna love the humilation of being the newbie slowcoach. image  I'll be shaking when I arrive at the pool and if there are more than 5 hunks in trunks, I may run away.  It is a daytime sesh tho', so hopefully not many people will be there.