Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Thanks for the star LN image

I know what you mean about caught in the middle I was kind of should I do this or do that but in the end I just swam and I kind of found my own rhythm and style. I did have TI lessons and that helped me get body position correct and some with my local swim teacher.

She said best thing to do is just swim. Only drills I do are fists and catch up.  I do think as well (as my instructor said) just go up and swim will help you improve image

• In the Pool UIW.  152 lengths x 25 meters non stop .

*but no kick off from the wall just touch and turn round then swim* edit

I have found a local duck pond where I can get some open water swimming in so will be down there on Thursday nights image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Great going all of you! Pretty soon none of you will be eligible to call yourself crap swimmers.

Ha ha - but I'm happy being a crap swimmer.  I'm addicted to this thread and I need a regular fix - especially now curry is on the agenda! image
  • Soup Dragon wrote (see)
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Great going all of you! Pretty soon none of you will be eligible to call yourself crap swimmers.

Ha ha - but I'm happy being a crap swimmer.  I'm addicted to this thread and I need a regular fix - especially now curry is on the agenda! image
    image Agreed Soupy
  • Thanks Wolf. I thnk I'll be here for a while yet. Besides, I like this thread ;D

There was an interesting comment in a recent article from triathlete europe mag (fab fab magazine)  about swimming catchup to protect your face if you hit a crowd of people in a OW swim. What do you think Wolf?

Oohhhh I have some new googles too.! These are brilliant and have no eye ball sucking properties at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Sphere-Kayenne-Schwimmbrille-Goggles/dp/B0025KURO2

• Ps. Soup, Saffers and anyone relatively London based. What say you about being for a drink or meal sometime? I was thinking Wimbledon area as it seems fairly central and there's a few other Pirates who may come along. What say you?

Great idea LN!!! image  I'm in!

Edit - if we want to be really good and can time it right we could have a swim first? image

• LN - that sounds like a good tip, I'll try it if I ever catch up with a crowd of swimmers! By the way, I agree with you re the mag.
  • How did I know you'd say yes to that?

Thinking Sunday May 30 (BH weekend). What say you?
  • Glad it helped you Wolf image
  • Ps. Let's swim another time Soup. It'd be easier, especially if others come and play as well.
    Yeh - I didn't want to be good anyway! image  got a fab curry house near me by the way: Madhus
  • Hmm I could bus there but may be a bit far for others so can do that another time. I'll start a thread anyhow...
  • LN, I make a point of avoiding other swimmers in OW, after being punched, kicked, and swum over a few times! I've been pushed under the water half a dozen times so some guy can swim over me. I always start at the side or well to the back of the pack. The swim is such a small portion of the overall triathlon losing a couple of minutes doesn't matter to me.
  • Yes Wolf, I'd read the tip about staying outside the pack and see the value in it. But in case I managed to land somewhere in the middle of one, I thought it could be a good help.

Theres a decent Italian restaurant in Wimbledon. image

Edit - I've just found your thread for this so I suppose I'd better get back to talking about swimming here! image

• Always up for a night out...... a bit worried I may be too pissed to find my way home though....cos I like a bevvie with my curry!imageimage
  • My swim today (well technically yesterday) made me realise I have to improve my technique a lot and be more relaxed of I am to do the Outlaw... I have 3 months to improve enough to not actually be taking a risk swimming that far open water - bit of an eye opener!
  • Yay Saffers. We'll point you in the right direction. Don't worry.

Am sure you'll get there Oops. Anything in particular surprise you about the swim? 

I'm looking forward to my first OW swim but may feel  different when June comes around.

• Well my rotation is all wrong, esp on my left arm stroke (often skim the water) I breathe at entirely the wrong point during the stroke... Slowing myself massively. It isn't just a matter of increasing effort for speed so while I feel really comfortable swimming 1600m and hardly out of breathe without technique changes no extra speed will happen at all!

I can feel a lot of what is wrong but don't know how to go about adjusting it (am swimming 5-6x this week and then starting to get some tuition)

I also realised 1/2 way up a 50m pool is not the time to start p*ssing about with your stroke without floats and things to isolate areas and give bouyancy cos when ur going as slow as me it leads to sinking!

Also was shocked at how much I struggled to breathe in the 1st few lengths and that was panic which really surprised me!
  • Well you know what a lot of your weaknesses are so you are in a good place to start. And once you get thoses issues ironed out (coaching will def help), your speed will increase.  Btw, I think quite a few people struggle when they first get in OW so don't worry about that.

Now ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

I just did my first triathlon. Pool was 33m in length and I did 429 metres in 10:55. I'm happy with that. My arms were still a bit sore from Saturday's lesson and I thought I'd go through in about 12:45 so I'm imageimageimage

Soup - Please contact Nam re the cycling top and let her know what you want to do with it. 

Thats great LN.  Well done! image

I forgot about the top - will pm Nam now.

• I think I need to spend longer than 30 minutes a week swimming, to make any real improvement. Two sessions this week, for a change.
  • Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Great idea LN!!! image  I'm in!

Edit - if we want to be really good and can time it right we could have a swim first? image

If I am invited, this plan of action suits me image
  • Great going LN.....image

Parkbench.....the tri coach reckons 3 x a week to improve that swimming.  I am planning on a session of drills tomorrow.....tri swim Wednesday and then a speed session Friday.....I am determined to speed up. image

• Well done LN!

Had a very relaxed swim today, went to 20m gym pool with friend who's similar swimmer to me, i.e. slow, and decided we'd just play with technique, so we kept doing 2 lengths with the other person watching an commenting... despite neither of us being epxerts it was quite useful, and since it was a private pool not the public pool I normally use, I got to try the hand paddles again image

Does any one have any suggestions how to stop crossing arms infront? This seems to be a major issue for me, and is worse on one side than the other (this may be why I keep getting tangled in the lane ropes & getting rope burn on upper arm!)

• Thank you Soup, Saffers, Schmunks and BMB. image

BMB - Actually we did a drill for this at the one session I went to.* Drill was two laps of swimming 'normally', two laps with arms slightly wider, two laps with arms really wide and then two laps normally. My arms don't crossover but found myself more aware of my arm position afterwards.

*image Have just realised Thursday will be one less day away this week. Will go to club again though.