Options

Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Options
    @Parklife - the brown & white hoops, yes, though I don't have the moustache anymore.
  • Options
    Intermanaut - this isn't Twitter image
  • Options

bos ...........I do the drills with the tri club once a week and also do two sessions on my own each week......one of those I do drills....and the other I do some sprints!  I don't always post exactly what I'm doing but I am doing them.image

Tri Coach keeps telling me that doing the drills will improve my technique and overall improve on my speed. I have faith that this will happen as I keep going back for more.

bos.......you always post good advice and just wanted to let you know that we are listening.....honest!image

• Options

Ditto what Saffers said Bos(s)1 image about good advice ... and I also do drills at tri club too.

• Options
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    It might be time to expose the world to me in a pair of these.
    Hubba hubba image
  • Options
    Oh......yeah......and I take this thread seriously too! image
  • Options

I knew Schmunks' Hunks in Trunks radar would pick up that picy.

• Options

Didnt mean to be too preachy about the drills, was posting from work  - was not overly happy with that.

Parlife -re busy pool - do they have any lanes at all?

• Options

Bos - I thought the tone of your message was fine.

Yep:
    Slow lane - people just floating around.
    Medium lane - completely packed and slow but people are actually going forward.  I would catch people up doing drills.
    2 fast lanes - much less packed most of the time.  I go in these but they're too fast for drills - I just have to keep going.

It's got much more busy recently.

• Options
    Parklife wrote (see)

Bos - I thought the tone of your message was fine.

Yep:
    Slow lane - people just floating around.

image WOuld that happen to be the firkin mob that frequent my pool by any chance but in a different lane?
  • Options

I'll check for Starfish tour bus next time Rodeo

EDIT: Oh and I don't begrudge the people in the slow lane - at least they're getting out there and they're in the right place at my pool Rodeo.

• Options

bos....not too preachy at all........just wanting you to know that we are listening and acting on it.image

Hubby is coming to watch me swim OW for the first time in a very long time.....it will be interesting to see whether he notices an improvement.  I shall let you know.

I have just got into my tri suit and sweltering.......really not looking forward to struggling into a bliddy wetsuit in this heat, I may very well pass out before I even get to the water.image  I think one of the reasons I avoid OW is the thought of getting the wetsuit on!!!!

• Options
    Why don't you swim without it Saffers?
  • Options

I went OW this morning and the pupil became the teacher image.  Lady was on only her second visit and was finding it hard to swim out of her depth as she did not like not seeing the bottom of the lake, so we swam out a bit further together and I stayed with her whilst she floated face down.

We have arranged to swim together on Wed so I am nipping down again tomorrow to do my own thing

• Options
    Nice one Schmunkee. image  
  • Options
    Parklife one of the rules states that we must wear a wetsuit in the lake.  It was a hot one.  image  I did two loops of the lake which I am pleased with so about 1000m.  Hubby timed me and I am much faster than when I first raced in the lake so yayyyyyyyyyyy!   Then did a bike ride so all good fun.image
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Parklife, the rules at the lake are that wetsuits must be worn all the time. We had one day last year when it was so hot that no-one was in for very long.
  • Options

Back to normal swim training tonight.

400m easy warmup

400m with PB, breathing 2 and 3 rhythm.

1000m: drill for 50m, fast for 50m, repeat x 10

600m, 15m sprint in the middle of each 50m

200m leg kicks, with board

600m cooldown: 2 x (100m crawl/100m dolp-hin kick/100m breaststroke)

Total 3200m

• Options
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    Parklife, the rules at the lake are that wetsuits must be worn all the time. We had one day last year when it was so hot that no-one was in for very long.
    There was one swimmer without............there's always one that thinks the rules are not for them.
  • Options

So it seems in the three weeks I had a chest infection my body has forgotten how to rotate. Though I still learned a few things at tonight's swim4tri, we didn't even touch 'the catch' or breathing. The coach has refused to teach me about the catch till I get my rotation right. As frustrating as that is, I know it's in the right order. If I don't rotate properly, I can't catch. Simple... or not. 

I have to give him credit due because although I booked a 1.5 hour session, he decided that 1 hour was all I needed because we'd have just been practicing what we did last time so I only paid for an hour.

He said I should just aim 'to get around' Vit. I'd never planned to go all out at Vit but I did want to be able to swim better than I do now. We'll have one more lesson on breathing before Vit and then I'll just do my best for Vit and think about what to do afterwards re any more lessons. It's frickin expensive but he is a great coach and they have a great set-up there. I know the swim is only a short part of the triathlon but I just want to be a bit better than I am now. Oh and I  also need to learn to be more patient, not that that is the story of my life or anything. 

• Options
    LN....10 weeks til the Vit.....plenty of swim practice! You will do fantabulous. image
  • Options
    Saffers - I appreciate what you are saying but as I've written above being told to 'just get around' the swim is different to what I wanted to do. But that's life and I know it'll be okay.
  • Options

Why do they have a rule like that about the wetsuits, even when it's hot Mr W and Saff?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

The rule is inflicted by the people who own the lake rather than by the clubs who use it.  They're excessively safety conscious and are afraid of people drowning.

• Options
    Is that common then?  Is my lake unusual?
  • Options
    Parklife, I have only ever swum in Southwater lake so have not a clue.............although it does annoy me when I see those swimming without a wetsuit!  People like that could get all of us banned! image
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

No, it's not common but the lake is used for all sorts of activities (sailing, canoeing, model boats etc) and is in the middle of a park that all sorts of people use so the owners are worried about non-tri club people swimming.

Saffers, you should tell them they shouldn't be swimming.  I know our club would be on the case of anyone who swam without a wetsuit as we know how precarious our access to the lake is.

• Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/Gallery/lake_32.jpg

Above is a map of my 750 OW loop. (I know it says 950 but this was taken last week.  Its now back to 750m)

There is an abundance of weeds between the slipway and the first pink buoy, so I had to swim to a tin buoy (not pictured) and then through the middle of the loop to the 3rd buoy on the left.  I continued clockwise until the white buoy.  If you then head for the slipway, you encounter weeds so I had to swim to the same unpictured tin buoy and then to the slipway.  This took me 36 mins todays which is comparable to my time at Datchet on Saturday.

It is also comparable to the 45mins it took me to do the loop when it was 950m

• Options

Sorry to appear to be ignoring Saffers and Mr W but I was in the middle of typing my post then got interrupted by the postman.  Hence that post took 40 mins and lead to cross-posting.

Will do better next time