Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Following on from comments on the 'Swim Times' thread, I thought it might motivate me if I posted a thread about swimming. So here it is.

Aim:
1. To swim 250m without stopping
2. To learn how to dive in properly
3. To learn to crawl
4. To get over the psychological damage of school swimming lessons (...eeek!)

Currently:
1. Can 'do' breast stroke & back stroke

I have that triathlon in my sights!!

Comments

• Breast stroke?

Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee .......

(Long story, for those that weren't at the B&B on Saturday!!)
  • It's one of those where you really had to be there!!
  • I knew you would pop up and ruin my thread, you rotter!!!!
  • not much of a breaststroker myself surprisingly

or should that be beaststroker?

id actually love to be able to swim butterfly - its still an ambition

and having watched the swimming in Athens i may return to the pool as i reallly get a buzz from swimming that running just cant match at the moment
  • This looks like a suitable home for me, given the thread title!

So Smitchie, what would you like me to do to him while I'm 'supporting' the Ballbuster?
  • Seriously now...Mr Sluggie was a cr@p swimmer till he tried the Total Immersion method (there's a website for it, and a book and video). He turned himself into a reasonable swimmer, keeping up with the field in open-water triathlons. Lots of tedious exercises, but it really seened to work
  • Do people dive in properly at Triathlons? I thought I thought they fell in awkwardly and then started punching each other.
  • I have no ambitions to be a beast stoker but you can put me down for this one anyway. Live a little I say.
  • Me, me me me

count me in!

Cr*p swimmer of the year for three years consecutively in the well known magazine...
    ' Crap swimmer Monthly'.
  • Yup, put me down for one of those - 100m is the most I can manage continuous, 2:15. At the end it's like an asthma attack on drugs.
    Sod it, if I breaststroke the whole thing no-one will laugh. They'd better not.

• Hold on!! Where's Smitch's initial post gone?
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Hello, my name is Jose and I am a breaststroker.

I ocassionally do the crawl (pub crawl too).

Did 1,500 mts last Sunday on my firts olympic tri in 46 minutes, 35 of them breast stroking, the rest... "free style"
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I am definitely in! Did my 1st tri july - all 400m breastroke! And I am sloooow!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I'm a carp swimmer - any help welcome!!
  • I can crawl slower than most people breaststroke. (23 mins for 750m in a tri, and that was when I was swimming twice a week).

Can I join too?
  • I did a sprint Tri with a 750m swim, 6 weeks back, swimming entirely freestyle. I was soundly beaten by the other three people in my lane that were doing breast stroke all the way. Also, I completed my first Olympic Distance last weekend with a 1500m Open Water swim. I was dead last out of the water by some considerable distance so I deserve to be on this thread. I'm Cr*p at swimming.
  • [peeps into thread]
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    blimey, am i glad that the sprint tri I did was only 400m swim, I'd still be there now....
  • I agree with Sluggie.

Total Immersion can work wonders. I went from terrified, chlorine-guzzling inept fool-in-a-pool to 10km swimmer in just 18 months using TI.(well, my own version of it)

Am too ill-disciplined to follow any regime strictly, so combined TI ideas with watching the better swimmers in the pool and am at the stage now where am contemplating 10 mile+ open water swim next year.

If I can do this(and I am the world's least natural swimmer) any of you can.

Go for it!
  • I went on the TI weekend workshop and now incorporate many of its principals in my swimming

I can now swim and swim and swim …along way (4 me) at my steady swim pace of about 3k/hr (25m pool) and faster open water in wetsuit
  • Dan - did you learn it off the video or the book?
  • the DVD is better than the book to see how the main drills should be done then the book is a good add on
  • Agree that it must be very good indeed to see it being done, before attempting it, Will.

I didnt though, which actually probably helped me personally as it really made me think about each and every movement that I made, and the significance of these too.

I also just got my hands on other books on swimming too.Anything by the now sadly departed Doc Counsillman(legendary swim coach)
    is just superb.

• What video system do we use in the UK?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Can anyone recommend one of these dvd's for breastroke and crawl? Just looked at them ,its interesting h ow they mention tai chi, I do this and it also seems to be mentioned regarding running.
    So if I do tai chi, how come I am cr@p swimmer and possibly equally cr@p runner???
  • If only there were a direct link between being good at one thing and then being good at another!

I dont do tai chi, but I am quite into buddhism, Zen and meditation etc. The feeling you get when you meditate and simply experience the connection between body and mind, when they 'become one' for a better way of putting it, is exactly the feeling I get when my swimming is at its best.

• In non-nonsense terms..'in the zone' is what it refers to.

TI now do videos for each stroke.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Just had my 2nd lesson yesterday & trying to remember proper technique is harder than the swimming itself. Apparently my kick is/was a screw kick thingy. Joining a new gym soon though so will try to do more then.

And, not in an innuendo style, I'm another breastroke man - I swallow too much with the front crawl. No comments from Multi or Smitch, please.

• Swallow??

Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, ......
  • Multi, I have my PHONE don't forget!!!