Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• I swam on Monday night but didn't do much. I wanted to work my legs a bit more, so swam with a float for a bit (do you think that is allowed?!) Lessons start again at my pool in Jan, so I might book up and do those.

In the meantime I will continue with my carp swimming...

Well done the rest of you though, sounds like you are all turning truly amphibian!
  • Course it is Smitch, we've done holding a float (I believe "kick board" is the posh term for it - sounds better than a float anyhow!) and just using the legs. Gives a really good work out. There's a leg float thingee as well called a "pull buoy" you can stick between your knees so you just use your arms.

Do you wear a swimming cap, all that hair must create quite a large drag. Not a problem I have of course!

:o)
  • err no! Was thinking about buying a cap though, but scared that I would look silly. Wore my goggles though.

Perhaps I should get some arm bands!
  • I have a cap - you have to wear them for triathlons.

Goggles are great :o)

Do they do lessons at your pool, they've really helped me improve?
  • Yes, the lessons have started already, so I have to wait for the next batch.

The pool is tiny though - not a proper long pool.
  • Last lesson tonight, they start another batch after that. Hope you can find some soon.
  • Morning, cr@p swimmer here, but improving. I'm having problems with my sinuses after swimming, any ideas?
  • Nose clip? What sort of problem, is the water going up your nose?
  • If you mean lots of snot, I get that too - haven't found an answer!!
  • I find it clears the passages out nicely! (Haven't managed to fit a swimble in this week yet, but hope to manage it this lunchtime.)
  • The morning after a swim it feels like I'm getting a bad head cold and my nose is streaming but it clears by the end of the day.

XFR some of the links you've put on here have been very useful, I can now do freestyle and breathe bilaterally and not look like I'm impersonating a windmill.
  • I might get a noise clip.
  • I got one, can't say I liked it - I tend to breathe out through my nose and it got in the way. Then again I do get water up my nose a lot!!

They're only a couple of quid - well worth a try anyhow. I would offer you mine but I might use it again. You can borrow it as long as you promise not to stick it up your nostrils :oS
  • err, thanks all the same Fruits, but I will try and buy one.

I am definitely going to get a cap too, as my hair goes a bit funny with too much chlorine.

• [Bear bites tongue]

They're only a couple of quid as well
  • Will try a nose clip.

Went and bought myself a new cossie, checked what time pool opens in the mornings, 6a.m. just got to get me @rse out of bed early now.
  • Good for you WW - that's quite early isn't it.

I thank you for your restraint, Fruity.
  • Maybe you should shave it off, like your piccie Smitchums? ;o)

6am - gulp! Think my pool opens at 7am, which means I'd only get half an hour before having to get the train into London :o(
  • I can't somehow see me getting there for opening time.
  • Swoops in with a tumble turn for 200!

Looking forward to lots of swims over half term :o)
  • XFR I've never tried to tumble turn, think I might end up very disorientated, not knowing if I'm on my @rse or my elbow.
  • I dont bother much with Tumbles - when you move to open water swimming there is not much call

I do them in training sometimes - but not keen on them
  • I can't do them - when I try I end up with water up me nose. I'd love to be able to do them properly though, there's a swimming club (juniors) that train on one side of the pool Tuesday evening, and they look so graceful :o( If kids of six can do it then surely I can?
  • I *tried* to do one once and ended up with my feet sticking up out of the water, and possibly facing the wrong way ! I then attempted to look real nonchalant like I'd not really being trying that at all, honest guv......

would love to master them though
  • Any tips Will? Susie? Spans?
  • The first stage is roly-polys in the water.
    Swim front crawl and as your arm comes over do a roly-poly 360 degrees and carry on swimming in the same direction. You can practice a few each length.

Ball up the body - flick your legs over and rotate!

Once you can do that comfortably you can go onto stage two

regards

Dave F.
  • Hello, I have an occasional lurk and although I'm not *technically* a crap swimmer anymore I still haven't bothered mastering tumble turns, I seem to turn over twice and head off diagonally, so gave up. However I happen to be swimming a lot with someone who is an ace swimmer, so I will act all pathetic and get him to teach me. Even in a pool swim tri though they aren't always allowed and besides it's nice to come up for air at the end of a length.
  • Thanks Dave, will give it a go.

It's one of those things I'd rather like to masterI guess, even if it isn't much use.

Actually one of the things I think I've learnt in the last few days is to breathe when I want and sod whether it's every 3, 4 or 2. Coming up for air is good - if I don't I get out of breath and my technique goes to pot as I rush through to the next three or whatever, whereas if I'm less fixed on every three and breathe on two sometimes, my technique is smoother :o)
  • Apparently breathing every three gets less oxygen into your system compared to every two.

One way round this is to breath three to the left 'do a three'(which puts you on the right) then do three to the right etc etc.

It takes a while to fully relax in the water so that you can breath every three and not run out of air :-)

Although I think it is only used at racing speeds up to 400m?

It took me quite a while to be able to breathe bi-laterally and I usually do 3r-3l bi-lateral breathing in a race for the extra air!
  • ok - so you do three sets of breathing on 2 to the left, then switch with a breathe on 3 and then 3 sets of breathing on 2 to the right?

Just got confused with all those twos and threes!

I'm going tomorrow, I'll give it a try - thanks Dave :o)