Off road advice

I am reasonably new to this running lark, less than two years. I took it up to help with endurance mountain biking. I have done two half marathons, 1:59 ( Bath ) and 1:50 ( Bristol ).
I have now entered an event which requires two cross country runs separated by a cycle.
Anyone know of an information sources for off road training and advice.

Cheers

Billy Bodgit

Comments

• Generally XC running is virtually the same as on road running, except that you wear shoes with better grips - either studs or sprikes.
    Didn't RW do a piece on XC running a while back? may be worth trying their archives under training.
  • Billy,

The only real change I find from XC to road is that my legs seam to move slower and feel like lead with all the mud and water shoes seam to accumulate! The solution I use is Hills, the longer and steeper the better and fartlek (see the box at the bottom right of the screen). The latter helps condition you for the changes of pace caused by varing surfaces.

Jim
  • often run in the woods, but I agree with Jim, it seems harder. Subtle gradients seem more difficult with slightly springier ground. Be prepared for evenings washing trainers... but there is one great advatage.. no cars, no curbs, no pillocks... oops thats three!
  • Cheers for the advice everyone

Barkles, should that be 'oops thats a tree' if you've been in the woods
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Billy

Also worth practicing running after cycling (often referred to as a "brick" session) as there is no feeling quite like the rubberiness your thigh muscles experience on the first few strides after coming off the bike. If you can imagine having had a dentist's injection on half of your quad muscle, you are getting close. Practice helps, but its still not easy!
  • Cheers for the advice Nessie, I've been warned about this already. And have tried to incorporate a few double sessions of running and cycling into my training plan and maybe a triple session or two as well.

The event is described as a 3 mile off road trail run and then the cycle followed by a 2 mile off road road run through rivers, marsh and other challenging terrain.