Tuesday session

Having a bit of a mare the last few days. Spend Thursday to Sunday in North Wales - did a 12 mile hilly run on Thursday (me running and brother on mountain bike). Anyway lots of down-hill running and seem to have completely knackered already dodgy knee (couldn't walk on Friday). What to do? What to do?

Saturday was three hours of fairly aggressive mountain biking - fell off a lot! probably 10-12 times - victoria plums anyone! Then two half hour runs on Sunday and yesterday.

Deep down I know I should have 2-3 weeks complete break from running, but at the moment I just can't bring myself to do it.

Today: Undecided may try a one hour steady (can't risk any speedwork at the moment)
Why: Marathon maintenance training.
Days since hard session: lots!
Days since rest: four.

Comments

• A Marvellous Morning :o)

Today: 7-8 mile steady run with sum unstructured speed work
    Why: Trying to maintain / improve upon Peek for next 2 races (10k & Tri)

Last Hard Run: Sunday
    Least Rest Day: Saturday

Had to cut last nights turbo session short, due to the shout “Your dinner is ready!” ;o)

I’ve sent off my FLM entry :- target 3:50
  • Target Race: Lausanne Marathon 20th Oct

Today 45 mins Spinning(already done), Gym Programme 11km steady run

Last Hard Run: Sunday 19km
    Last Rest Day: Monday
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Today : either 7mile tempo run at halfM pace (7min/miles) or intervals 3*2 miles at 10k pace with 90-120s recovs.
    Why : key weekly session ahead of Sundays BB halfM
    Last rest : sunday
  • Dustin its not surpising I can't keep up with you when you do all this training. See you on Sunday
  • What: rest
    Why: 2nd day of rest prior to race tomorrow
    Days since last hard run: Saturday
    Days since last rest: yesterday

Taking another day off today to try and ensure I'm well rested before tomorrows race.

mm
  • Martin, you're mad, you are. Have a rest!

What: Rest day today. Might do some weights later.

Why: In the last three days I've climbed two mountains and a respectable sized crag.

Last hard day: Yesterday (Helvellyn - up the tourist staircase, down and round the east side with a bit of unexpected scrambling up and down roack-faces, back to the top, and down horrible ankle-busting scree path).

Last rest day: Friday.

Everyone's right. Birmingham is pants. When I grow up I want to live in Cumbria and be a fell-runner.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Morning all,

What:
    AM: Swim 1600m
    PM: Intervals, 6 x 1 mile with 200m recovery - 10 miles in total with warmup/cooldown
    Why: ???
    Last Hard day: Sunday
    Last Easy Day: Yesterday

Gareth
  • V-rap

I know you're right, of course you're right, if I was anyone else then I'd be giving me the same advice.

They say a car always runs best just before it breaks down. Running the welsh hills with my brother on mountain bike in tow, I was running where he had to get off and walk.

Bugger!
  • What: 6x800m
    Why: this is my attempt at speedwork
    Last hard day: Sunday
    Last rest day: Saturday

Whether or not I do this depends on when the man from the council comes to fumigate the wasp nest in our loft before I have to go to work
  • What - 4 1/2 mile hilly loop with some speedwork tacked on to the end, folowed by shower and a pizza yum!
    Finished watching Lord of the Rings last night - awesome scenery, I must visit NZ sometime!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: Morning - weights, evening 40 minutes conditioning run
    Why: 1 of 2 weekly weight sessions & aiming to do 60 miles + this week so the conditioning runs at about 70% MHR are essential
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: Thursday

Send off my "good for age" letter for FLM. Target time for next year - 2:44
  • What: interval session I originally intended to do last Friday - 4 x 1 mile off 1/3rd mile jog recoveries
    Why: the need for speed
    last hard day: Sunday (ish); more likely Friday
    last rest day: Saturday

Martin,

In Cornwall, I found even in cushioned shoes I could feel my shins getting hammered going downhill - particularly on roads. If your knee is really the "only" problem you've got (sounds like it), can you not find a flat grassy (or otherwise soft) course, and just stick to running on that for the time being?
  • What : 5.5 jog down the Thames
    Why : To try and negate the effects of the weekend
    Last Hard Day : 5 days ago
    Last rest day : The last four since.

Been up to Hull for a long weekend where some toerag through a brick through my drivers side window when parked. What is the world coming to. Hull police better than Reading police though.

Glad you enjoyed LOTR Fraggle. I can't wait for part 2
  • Mike

By process of medical input and my own testing I'm steadily isolating the problem area and it seems to be as you suggest downhill running. I think the initial problem was caused by the downhill race in June which really involved hammering downhill.

Last nights run was on my treadmill (doesn't get much flatter than that!) and keeping to flat runs will be my aim over the next few weeks. At the moment I'm just trying to keep going until the marathon and then have a month off to try and clear it up for good. I'm even toying with the idea of a three hour treadmill run - well I have just bought Lord of the Rings so that would give me the ideal chance to watch it!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Martin, I hope you manage to stay in one piece until the marathon, then you MUST rest!

What: 3 miles with 5 x 2 minute intervals followed by 90-second recoveries.
    Why: This week's speed session.
    Last hard: Sunday (long run).
    Last rest: Saturday.

Or I might make tonight's session a bit of a tempo run, haven't decided yet. Whatever, it's not going to be any further than 3 miles!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Martin, do you do any weight training?
  • Drew

No I don't. I find it difficult to find the time to get to a gym - I am however currently building a gym at home so introducing some weights (or circuit training) is a definite possibility. What do you recommend?

Taking on board what my doctor said I have just started a post run stretching programme (I'm using about 10 of the stretches set out in the "competetive runners handbook") although its too early to see if these are having any effect. I don't do any pre run stretching as the current wisdom seems to be a slow jog warm up is better.
  • Drew

how do you normally predict your marathon pace? The reason I ask is that I usually find doubling my half marathon time and adding 10-15 minutes has worked well for the last few I've done. I noticed that you're aiming for a sub-2:45 next year at FLM (awesome target) so is this one of the reasons you're aiming for a sub 1:19 half in Glasgow?

best

mm
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: Cycling - probably about 20 miles on road bike.
    Why: #1 - It's a nice day, warm, sunny, slight breeze - perfect for cycling.
    Why: #2 - Promised Mr Nessie that sunny days are for cycling together, dull/wet ones are for running alone.
    Why: #3 - 8 miler last night along canal bank with Mr Nessie on M/bike tootling along beside/behind/ahead of me. Only stops were to open gates/cross locks. Glorious night and it was one of "those" runs. Even managed a "sprint" finish for the last 200m or so. Don't want to run again tonight and spoil the "glow" of such a good session.

Ahh, life be good!
  • MM

For help on predicting you various race paces go to my site www.xhog.co.uk select running and at the end of the page you will find a pop up tool that will help you

Will
  • What:

am: 500m freestyle. Yes friends, please note the increase in the first digit. Ironman, I'm catching up on you. A long way to go? Ah, perhaps you're right. I pretended I was you in the pool this morning.

later: I have been studying the get-you-round HM schedule in preparation for 20/10. It is absolutely clear I need two new runs, one 5m, one 4m. Today's other task is to go explore one, probably the shorter one as (1)it is hot and I also have to go in town, yuk, buy clothes that have nothing to do (!) with running, yuk, and (2) I want to run my 6m loop tomorrow.

For those who've got the sun, enjoy. Marj
  • What: 10x 400m intervals
    Why: RW 1/2 M schedule

Last rest day: yesterday
    Last run: Sunday

Decided to find a gym and treadmill as Boston is way too hot for me (90 degrees). Had to stop twice - once when I realised the americans might not think in km/hr to reconvert my pace to m/hr, and again when I realised I had to do the same for the distance - doh! Just as well I checked - would have ended up flying off the back of the treadmill!
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    What: 4 mile run usually with club, but depends what time I have to pick my car up from its service. May run with Mr (actually Dr) Road Runner along the disused canal at the back of our house instead.
    Why: Because that's what I always do on a Tuesday
    Last rest day: yesterday (gentle-ish swim)
    Last hard day: sunday
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Martin, I've been doing weights for about 8 months. I just feel as though all my joints, knees, ankles, etc are now much less susceptible to injury. Apart for shin splints I haven't had any real problems since starting the weights. There are a few web-sites which can help when deciding which exercises to do. Let me know when you're ready and I'll give you the links.

MM, the sub 2:45 for FLM is a goal, not a prediction. I won't know until nearer the time what I will be aiming for on the day. This will be decided on the pace during my long runs, which are done at my target marathon HR. In the month before this year's FLM my long runs were done at about 6:50 pace, which is what I achieved at London.

If I do a sub 1:19 at Glasgow then I'll feel quite confident of achieving a sub 2:45 at London, if I survive the winter without any injuries or illnesses.
  • Been out and done the second half of it.

What: One of the new runs - 55 minutes, probably closer to 5 than 4 miles, but the time includes a stretching break.

Really pleased with myself!

And the shopping? Ah, er, um, yes. I was supposed to get a dress in which to appear at a wedding this weekend. So what did I come home with?

A very fine pair of running shoes! Well, the last pair were dangerously worn. However I don't think even my normally broad minded mother would take kindly to my wearing them next weekend.
  • WW,
    thanks for pointing me in the direction of the race pace calculators on your site, great fun, and a great site.

Drew,
    so do you try to a series of long runs at goal marathon pace during the final buildup before a race?

The reason I ask is that the last couple of marathons I've done have used a single element from the training schedule described here. That element is the 20K, 25K, 30K time trial runs at goal marathon pace every 3rd week during the 3 months prior to the marathon. I didn't do the rest of the program as described because I would've killed myself with that sort of training load. Nevertheless, I've found that if I can get through these time trial runs at goal marathon pace (particularly the 30K) without feeling too uncomfortable then that pace can also be achieved on race day.

best
    mm
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    MM, thanks for that link. How do you put the link into your message?
  • What: A disappointing 7k, should have achieved 10k to hit my training target
    Why: Latest day of 1/2 m programme
    Since Last Hard: 2 (Sunday)
    Since Last Rest: 1

I seem to be having trouble reaching my training targets when I'm using the treadmill but can get by quite well when running outside. Very odd

GFB
  • What: treadmill 2.5K in 20 mins tied in with other cardio training, weights and ab work.
    Why: new gym membership!
    Last hard Day: Sunday
    Days since last rest: technically 2 from running but I've done as much on the rest days just not high impact. Shin splints seem to be easing right off now. Only problem now is a slight weakness in my right knee (which I had when I ran last time I was in training - years ago) so I'm digging out my "blue knees" support :)