Running clubs in Tamworth area

Does anyone know of a running club in the Tamworth, Staffs area that would welcome a knackered old woman with dreams of being Paula Radcliffe, but who in all reality would be no threat to Rik Waller?

Alternatively, are there any non-competitive female runners looking for a running partner in this area?

Thanks.

Comments

• I'll boing this for you since I was born and dragged up in Tamworth for the first 20 years of my life.
  • I'm in North Birmingham, Dreamer2, and wouldn't mind coming out to Tamworth for some (slow) training runs.

As for clubs, the Royal Sutton Running Club would be worth a try - they have a very friendly veterans' section.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • You dont want to risk slow runs in Tamworth V-rap, trust me, I'm not a doctor. Fast as you can love!
  • If the natives of Tamworth are as lardy as the rest of the population of the West Midlands, my slowness will not matter. All things are relative.

Anyway, I don't wear jewellery or carry a mobile phone. But I shall file my elbows to a point and eat a plateful of sprouts before setting off.

Why not come and be our bodyguard, Chimp?
  • To be honest, the natives of Tamworth are more than likely to be so wasted on drug/alcohol cocktails that they won't even notice a few runners passing by. Be warned though, the sober ones have wheels (although they spend most of their time falling off the halfpipe in the Arena carpark)...
  • If you fancy venturing as far as B'ham, Birchfield Harriers has a good all rounders section, for men and women. But, I'm pretty Tamworth has a road running club or even track club of their own, will have to investigate.
  • If you fancy venturing as far as B'ham, Birchfield Harriers has a good all rounders section, for men and women. But, I'm pretty sure Tamworth has a road running club or even track club of their own, will have to investigate.
  • Tamworth has got an athletics club, but rumour has it (someone who knows more may correct me) that it's quite successful, and therefore, for beginners such as me, a little bit intimidating.

To be honest, I'd currently be far more likely to join a Tamworth "Go-for-a-short-jog-then-a-pint" Club than an Athletics Club - just sounds a bit too competitive.
  • Burton AC meet Monday 6-30/7.30pm @ Shobnall Leisure Centre just off the A38, Wednesdays indoor training. Possibly nearer to Tamworth than Birchfield.
  • Thanks for all the replies!! Am looking into your suggestions and plodding the streets of Tamworth in the meantime to try and get a bit of fitness for the Spring ....
  • Dreamer - I'll probably bump into you at some point - I'm the tall one who's probably limping a bit and struggling to breathe! Usually run round the lake between Ventura Park and SnowDome. What about your route? Any ideal routes I don't know about?!
  • If anyone fancies (slow) running in the Kingsbury area, I use the water park, and surrounding area, and it  would be nice to have some company!

• We do a beginners group at Tamworth AC on a Thurs at 7.15. You are welcome to come and take a look. We have all abilities.

• Oops just noticed this thread is from 2002

• Hey Muriel. This is a bit of a long shot. Beens as your post is from last year lol. My name is Gemma and I live in wilnecote. I am 25 years old. I'm a beginner. I do a lot of walking mainly but would love to start jogging maybe even running if i can lol. I'd be happy to meet at the waterpark or wherever really. If your still looking for someone to train with please get in touch. Gemski22@live.co.uk xxx