Options

Focused Training - RW [Forum]

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I already take supplements due to female problems. I too have read there is a link with allergies and dairy, might look at ways of making cuts rather than total withdrawal.
  • Options
    BR, your right the best time to carb-load is the lunch time the day before the marathon.
    I don't drink coffee at anytime as I've never liked the smell of the stuff!

• Options
    General question if you can bear it.

Physio suggested calcium supplements due to shin probs?

Since thinking about this i realised 2 small peices of my teeth have chipped off.

Supplements good idea then?
  • Options
    Is so how often, how much? I have no idea whatsoever!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Scoobs, I've been told to take them too because of other reason, but also 'cause I've had 2 stress fractures. I take 600mg a day, but have been told I could take up to 900mg.
  • Options
    LOL thought about this is one is on focussed training, it's now the "one-stop-shop" for general sports and running related questions. Keep it goin' boys and girls :)
  • Options
    Bur URR what might be general to you could be foussed training to us!!! :0) I mean if calcium helps to prevent shin splints then this means i have more hope of training for my marathon injury free (well in this area anyway)!!! :0) :0)

Thanks Hilly I think I will give them a go.

Soobs
  • Options
    speaking of calcium, it has crossed my mind I should take in more calcium as I don't drink loads of milk.
    what sort of calcium supplements would anyone recommend?
    what other other natural sources of calcium are out there?
  • Options
    Thought there is a Health + Injury forum with world class experts :)

Calcium RDA is around 1000 - 1200mg/day, dairy, orange juice with calcium (tropicana?), nuts, fruits, etc.
  • Options
    Fair omment URR, I don't want to impose. Maybe I'm just not serious enough for this thread as I'm not sure on the Protocol.
  • Options
    sorry - I didn't want to hijack the thread, I just thought I'd ask seeing as you were all on the topic
  • Options
    Reference dairy I had to exclude it from my diet and found my asthma had improved at the same time......mind you I do crave for cheese every now and again but the reaction from my body is just not worth it!!

BR yes there is a link between the both which i have read about and in a book I have relating to asthma.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It was a fair question that lead on from BR and my comment on changing diet to enhance running.

You don't have to be serious for the thread. Most questions that focus on health/training are relevant to improving training and faster times, so come on we're all friends and welcome on here!:o)
  • Options
    Don't mind URR, his head is hurting from trying to figure out who Hadd is;-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Buney or WildWill as far as I remember know a lot about nutrition.

BR - Do you mean the-former-physiology-student -now-known-as-HADD?
  • Options
    Big Tim,

Great idea - there is a wealth of experience out there and good idea for us all to share thoughts ideas and to use it.

On idea of calcium supplements, if you do take them worth combining them with magnesium supplements as taking calcium supplements can cause magnesium deficiciencies which hampers performance. You can buy tablets that combine the two which is what I am doing to try and avoid third fracture in a year!

Simon
  • Options
    Thanks Simon will have a look tomorrow in my lunch hour! I can't imagine losing another peice of tooth as i have 2 glued on bits now!!

Hilly thanks, your support is much appreciated.

Big Tim are you running the full marathon in New Forest or the half, I can't remember!?
  • Options
    (lurking with interest)
  • Options
    Read this in "Which" recently: "A survey carried out by the National Osteoporosis Society in 2002 shows that although only around 7 per cent of young women thought they would develop osteoporosis, in fact a third were likely to. And while women are at greater risk than men of having low bone density, one in 12 men over 50 also has osteoporosis." So take calcium plus magnesium now...for your future. Just off to buy shares in various pharmaceutical companies!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Glad you all like the tread,
    Think it's useful myself, whether Hadd exists or not the training ideas are working. Similar to advanced marathoning & I don't recall seeing schedules like these 20 yrs ago.
    Certainly the Cliff Temple schedule I've followed before wasn't but that worked too, I must add :-)

I used to be under the impression marathon runners trained like 10,000m athletes but only doing longer LSD [long slow distance's] which now seam to be out of line with current thinking!

Running is quite simple, but it's interesting how complected it can get :-)

Scooby Snax, I'm doing the New Forest 1/2 at marathon paced effort :-)
    Using my HRM.

• Options
    Hi

Jusat popping in to mention that if one genuinely has osteoporosis, one would be treated with more than just supplements
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    BT-but didn't Radcliffe say recently to run a good marathon you should be in pb shape for 10km? If so then surely you would need to train like a 10k runner. To tell the truth although I've been running for a few years, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between someone training for 10km or marathon due to the fact people run such varied distances and sessions.
  • Options
    Bryn,

During the last 6 months of being at school, I really upped the miles and was flying. I am now no way near to that pace now,. My training looked like this during that period

Mon 4 miles lunch, hockey training pm
    Tue 4 miles lunch, speedwork with club pm
    Wed Race or 8-9 miles at lunch followed by Hockey match
    Thursday 4 miles lunch (or sppedwork) speedwork pm
    Friday Rest or 4 miles lunch
    Saturday Race or 8-9 miles
    Sunday Hockey match followed by 10 miles home

Total for the week over 50 miles, plus 2 paper rounds each day at full tilt on bike and 2 more in evenings plus 5 miles walking.

If you can get the runs in at lunch (I was lucky because there were normally 5 or 6 of us doing it) then it really adds up and is a bit like the am recovery run. I'm sure all of the other stuff really helped as well compared to my sedentary office based job now
  • Options
    Interesting thread ....

Having been part of the training forums for a couple of years now, it seems to me that those who take a scientific approach to their training (rather than just blindly following someone else's schedule with no real awareness of why they are doing each session (or how it works)) are the ones who are now reaping the great rewards now. It seems to me there is a great ammount of recording going on by runners (esp. with the rise of the SDMs) but very little analysis. For instance, all those runners who say "and I did a pb for my training route" in the training forum ....do they go back and look at their running diary and work out what they have been doing long-term/short term to acheive that? And then try to replicate that effect pre-race? I doubt it. I certainly don't (not that I do pbs for routes but that's another issue!).

OR, are the people who are acheiving great things at the moment just naturally talented and as a result find it easier to train, and have the luxury of being able to experiment with their training (as whatever they do, they'll still be faster than most people in their club).

Anyway, rambling over .... I am very fit (the cycling, walking, climbing, running, swimming etc. sees to that) but completely talentless as a runner and as a result, fitness never translates into speed. I'm just not fast. Some of this is my biomechanics, and there's not a lot I can do about that. But I would like to work on my 10k speed over the winter (won't be racing over 10k distance until well into next year, but have plenty of shorter races lined up).

Does anyone have any suggestions of how what strategy I should take to increase my 10k speed - and the value of the various approaches? Goal is 43 minutes ... haven't dipped under 45 minutes for a couple of years now ...

• Options
    LizzyB - What's your current training schedule?
  • Options
    URR - usually it's something like this

.... about 100mpw on the bike, usually 20-25 miles at a time, usually at 80-90% WHR. Cycling will soon stop for the year cos of the snow, although I will still be doing some turbo training (but not as much).

... couple of swimming sessions per week (1000-2000m of continuos front crawl)

... and the running! Typical week would be something like this....
    Monday - easy run, 3-5 miles, below 75% WHR
    Tuesday - track session or tempo run
    Wednesday - steady 8 miles or so, usually hilly and off road
    Thursday - easy 4-6 mile run
    Friday 10-13 miles below 75%, often with a couple of 5 minute efforts at 10 pace
    Weekends are often taken up with cycling, climbing, walking etc. but I'll usually get a 6 mile brisk run in at some point.

Hmm, not very scientific or effective, I think, I am well aware that my training is not very focused at the moment ....

• Options
    I would say consistency is one of the most important factors. The complementary biking is possibly too disruptive your muscles have to constantly adjust, plus there is always a risk of injury or your back hurts, which has again an impact on running.

If I would be in your snow shoes I would check out the track and do a 5k time trail now. Can you actually run on the track through the winter?

The 5k time will give you an indicator on where are you now with your fitness, and gives you a clue what kind of intervals you should be running, what kind of goals you should work towards and what kind of training you should be doing.

With that result I would then structure the quality session, 200s/400s/800s/1200s to get into it I would possibly aim for 5k in total volume, important is to strictly stick to the recovery time. For the next weeks I would aim to settle into a schedule and then plan in 4/6 weeks blocks, this should provide feedback in which areas you feel strong and which areas you have to work further.

A rough schedule could look like this. My next

Monday - Recovery/Rest/ 45 mins easy
    Tuesday - Speed work (200/400/800/1000 - basic speed)
    Wednesday - Variation, 60 mins
    Thursday - Tempo run, maintaining speed
    Friday - Recovery/Rest/ 60 mins easy
    Saturday - Fartlek / 50-60 mins
    Sunday - Long run

Right now I would stick to a rather pragmatic view and to the well known running heuristics (hard/easy days, <10% mpw speed, LT run, LSD, hills). This give you a balanced training schedule.
  • Options
    Hello again, just a quick question, physio says I can now start to run faster if I want to after my hamstring seems to be healed. My marathon is in 3 weeks time is there any point in doing any type of speedwork now and if so what type and for how long?

I have a 10 miler planned for Wed. and a 15 miler on Sat or Sun. I have joined a new gym and have induction session tomorrow. Any suggestions or thoughts please.
  • Options
    hilly, Paula was in great shape for 10,000m but didn't prove that over the marathon distance. I'm not saying she got the training wrong!
    I do believe that if your marathon training it will help to race faster times over shorter distances.
    The training won't vary that much either.

In the marathon, it's important to get the long training runs in to improve running economy. At a pace close to that of the marathon pace. i.e marathon paced run +10-20% like I've been doing, in my build up.
    So a 8min marathon goal pace, would mean training at 9:36 [20%] up to 8:48 [10%] towards the end of the run.
    Or another way is 73-83% of max heart rate.
    This will get your legs used the the feeling's it will experience in the marathon.
    I've also been doing a lot of my long training on the flat roads, as Amsterdam is very flat. Hopefully this means my legs won't notice any difference till after 20M.

For 10K training it wouldn't be so important to get such focused long training runs in, although Frank Horwill recommended that long runs should be 3 x race distance!
    Like URR is saying for a fast 10K you need session @ 5000m & 10,000m in duration.
    In the view to improving your LT [lactated threshold & your VO2 max.
    5000m session = 12 x 400m + 200m fast
    10,000m session = 8 x 1200m + 400m fast
    Not flat out but at 10K pace.

LizzyB, I think URR of a 5K time trail quite a good idea!