Focused Training - RW [Forum]

1404142434446»

Comments

• Glad to hear you are on the mend, Micksta, and making changes - hope you consider all that has been said over the coming weeks.

BTW, do you know if Lawman is at Folkestone?
  • Micksta, I think taking the pressure off yourself by saying at this stage that you won't do the bigger races sounds very sensible, and will prbably help you to take a rational, longer-term view about training.

Very best of luck with your rehab!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Out of interest and being nosey:o) Are you a coach Pantman?
  • Amongst other things, yes, hilly.
  • PANTMAN:

No not sure on the LAWMAN! He popped into Harriers last weds and was mumbling about a bad back so who knows! expect him to be at Paddock Wood though!

Its MR Brenchley I have parted with Im now coached by Peter Mullervy, he used to train GEC Avionacs and M&Ms. and wants to form a super Bud Budaro (excuse spelling) group down at IEK!
  • Yep - everyone will be at Paddock Wood, I'm sure. Folkestone will be interesting - being so close to Paddock Wood this year and so far from FLM the field will be different from last year for sure - but better or worse? No idea! The faster course may attract peeps too...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I won't ask what the other things are:o) Do you coach at a club?
  • PANTMAN:

Yeah difficult to gauge the level of intrest for Folkestone for sure! I would expect a few good M&M guys there, probably John Creane who runs for Folkestone ac.

IEK will have a strong presence, we have potentially a winning MALES TEAM if everyone turns up and runs to there best ability! ahem no names mentioned! ;p

Your right Paddock Wood will be a major major race down here, more so as Thanet 20 was cancelled, if any of us gets a top 10 placement at PW then its going some for sure!

• Micksta - if you ran for your old club then WE would have a good shot at the team prize! Traitor!! :-P

Hilly - not at a club as not qualified in the Athletics coaching "levels" - degree in sports studies - coach via e-mail/phone etc... www.katlab.co.uk

• PANTMAN:

Well that would have depended on who else turned up from the Harriers, LAWMAN would have to race for the Harriers to win a team prize :)

IEK stands a chance of the team prize, whether I turn up or not on the day :P

• If the "smarties" (M&Ms) turn up in force like last year this will all be irrelevant - they'll take the team and individual trophies leaving not even scraps for the rest of us.

I for one view this whole period of time as a stepping stone. I long for the day when it makes no difference to me whether they turn up or not. Maybe I'll live to see that day... ;-)
  • PANTMAN:

Yeah true there, if M&Ms have nothing better to do, then were pretty much knackered as far as winning any silverware is concerned!

I don`t think M&M will be on top for that many more years, there are certain clubs which are now focused on attracting higher standard senior runners and have good group systems and High level coaches trainig them!
    TRR are getting good, and dare I say it my club IEK are on a re-building program which should see us giving M&M nightmares within the next 5 years.

• I'll believe it when I see it...
  • PANTMAN:

Seeing as im one of the SENIOR TEAM MANAGERS! I will make it happern! ;p

so if you ever fancy a change of vest colour, your more than welcome to join us,I would welome you with open arms and its a very good place for juniors as well ;)

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I thought that was the case PM. I've saved your details in my favourites and should I decide to continue my road to improvement (I might just be too old now and have reached my limit) after London and Mike G no longer giving support then I might be tempted to look for a coach. You're not Hadd by any chance are you?:o)
  • PANTMAN:
    WA ha ha ha ha WA ha ha ha!!! :)

Hey on a different subject now, I tryed not drinking any sports drinks prior to my morning LSD today, usually I have Lucozase sport about 1hr before setting out.

Today I filled my drinks bottle up took a gulp of Lucozade as I left the house, then took sips every 10-15mins during my run, I seemed to feel much better, no feeling dizzy and losing power, I kept a good amount of strength throughout the run, the last mile of which I pushed the pace a little, covered my 14miles in 1h38mins but this was a steady pace, easily able to chat if needed. Not saying I have found a breakthrough but MTC could have a point here regarding Energy drinks.

I will try something similer at Folkestone and see if I can dip under 60mins, that will give me some idea if thats the problem.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    That sounds like good news Micksta

• Micksta - That sounds positive. I would also make a note on home much you drink (not beer of course) on the day before a race or long run. Sometimes the combination of lack of sleep, not enough rest after Thursday's long reps, the high mileage or low carbo levels (or even iron deficiency) can cause a poor run and leave you dead legged.
  • oops! not "note on home", "on how much"!

hilly - Aren't you a coach yourself? Level 1 as far as I remember, no?
  • URR:
    Yep, it was a lot more possitive today.
    I still have a long way to go though before im back to where I should be!

Like you its a long fight back, but for different reasons. I reckon next year we will both be back doing 54-55min 10-milers again!
  • Can you once more post your training week leading into Hastings 1/2 marathon? I am always learning from other runners as well. What's your plan for next week?

I think it's very different in your case. Maybe cut out a few runs during the next 3/4 weeks to re-position and then test yourself in a 10k again. Bear in mind you did a few XCs as well and jumping straight into a 1/2 marathon was possibly just a few weeks too soon.
  • URR:
    Yeah I post them but don,t take too much from the Hastings training schedule, especially in light of my problems Ive been having with energy drinks or whatever the cause is :)

Week leading upto hastings half marathon:-

Mon: 6-mile comfy with strides.
    Tues: am: 2-mile comfy/hardish pace
    pm: Track session 3x1000m 4min rec.
    Weds: 6-mile club run steady to easy pace
    Thurs:am: 2-mile comfy/hardish pace
    pm: Track session 10x300m with 100m rec.
    Fri: 5-miles easy pace
    Sat: 3-miles easy jog
    Sun: Hastings half marathon.

Next weeks scheduled training runs:

Mon: am: 6-mile as I feel pace.
    pm: 7.5m Multi-terrain as I feel pace.
    Tues: am: 5-mile comfy pace
    pm: Track session ???
    Weds: am: 6-mile easy pace
    pm: 6-7mile club run easy pace
    Thurs am: 5-mile steady pace
    pm: 5.5-mile very easy pace
    Fri: am: Folkestone 10m training race.
    Sat: am 6-mile easy pace
    pm:7-8-mile as I feel
    Sun: 14-mile multi terrain LSD as I feel.

Ive just this week changed coaches, so not sure if the Folkestone 10 is in my new coaches plans, will know on Tuesday!
  • Thanks! You cut already a bit back leading into Hastings, so it should have been okay. Once again, sometimes you feel the effects of heavy training/racing in 2-3 weeks delay. I noticed something like that when doing a taper.

I wouldn't worry much about the pace for the AM sessions. Think Tom and BR mentioned the same. I have done something similar, 1h very easy 6x a week, finishing with the feeling to be able to be able to complete the same session again immediately afterwards (just a measure). Maybe wear a HRM, gives you an additional measure.
  • FWIW I think doing a hard track session on the Thursday before a Sunday race will affect you.

How fast are you `comfy' and `easy' runs? I do 8m/m in the morning and about 7:20-7:30 at night unless it is a specfic session I am doing. At the moment my faster stuff varies from 5:45m/m to 6:20m/m.

Also, re. using a race as a training run. I think you either race or you don't, unless you are very specific about how you are going to use it. I used a HM today as a training run as a variation on going and running 52 laps of a track straight off.

If you do run at Folkestone, what are you looking for?
  • BR:
    My easy pace runs are usually around 8min miles, comfy is anything from 6:30-7min miles.

Im aiming for 60mins or just under if I do Folkestone, mainly just to test this energy drinks theory again!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    URR, yes an assistant coach, but don't use it apart from at school and not sure if I'll take it further just yet, but I may do later.

• The winner at Folkestone will be in red & black & his club will win the team prize!
    Well I hope so it's alway's nice to see friends do well :-)
    If I can get a race number & everything feels OK Tuesday night I shall race on Good Friday :-)
  • BIGTIM:

Probably right for the overall winner, I guess MR Coleman or MR Renault will be racing then or both! :)

As for the team prize, YOUR CLUB! will win it! if everyone turns up who is supposed to be running! and if I have any say in the matter! ;P