Focused Training - RW [Forum]

Comments

• I agree. Tempo runs (either at LT or just below) achieve significant and long lasting gains.

OK, let's have another heated debate:-)

Marathon running shoes. What are people planning on?

I've done 6 marathons now in...

1. Asics 2060s
    2. Asics 2060s
    3. Asics DS Lyte
    4. Mizuno Wave Phantom
    5. Nike Streak Ekiden
    6. Nike Streak Ekiden.

So really as I've got quicker, weaned myself onto lighter shoes. It'll be Ekidens again.

What do people think about the relative merits in going for as light a shoe as possible (this can take a fair chunk off your time) as opposed to cushioning etc.?

For me (as Peter Taylor says;-)) I don't mind my legs being beat up at the end as they will be anyway as long as I get through the race in the lightest possible shoe.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'll have to get back on this one as need to look in past diaries! But I know I've gone from 'normal' trainers to performance ones over the last few years. Don't think I'll enter into flats as my back just wouldn't take the shock!
  • I was given a old pair (hardly worn) of Nike Air Zoom racers - very, very light in deed. I now won't wear anything else when racing on roads now (not even my NB 830's trainer/racers).

For maximum benifit the trainers that I train in weigh about as much as a small car :)
  • I use Mizuno Phantom 3, still need a bit of support as I am not really a lightweight. If I would run a marathon in around 4hrs I would stick to the more cushioned plodding shoes.
  • I reckon so long as it your legs can handle it light shoes have to be the way to go. I've found that Fila Racers are a good flat for longer races - not as flexible as some flats which I reckon can cause a problem if you are not used to very flexible shoes - plus you can get three pairs for £60 if you look at the offers in RW
  • Right another question for you all.

As some of you know a succession of injuries have led me to get into competitive cycling - which requires a bit time commitment. But I still want to keep running and reckon I can do about 3 sessions a week. I have access to a track if necessary. What do people think would be the best mix of training sessions ?

I'd like to be able to maintain a short 37 minute 10k pace and race half marathons with the possibility of a winter marathon with a couple of months concentrated running training in the build up.

• Popsider - If you want to be competitive in cycling you should completely focus on cycling. If you want to be successful you need to spend as much time in the saddle as possible, one of the most time consuming sports around in my opinion. Maybe in the winter month I would start a bit of running into January/February and resume cycling a bit. However, these days most cyclist do XC or MTB during the winter, so all year around training.
  • How about competitive triathlons / duathlons?
  • I see triathlon as 3 events - I know triathletes think differently but to me it isn't a sport in itself - the idea of an ironman appeals as a challenge but like URR says the time you need to put in cycling is such I would be spreading myself too thin. The other thing is I like being part of the local cycling fraternity which is different to the triathlete fraternity - I like riding with a group and the culture, which is more competitive to - though possibly running at higher standard running clubs has a similar culture I don't know.

At the moment I tend to do 150-175 miles a week on the bike which isn't huge but it's been enough for steady progress this year -my TT times have come down and I'm dropping people that were dropping me earlier in the year - and I can still fit some running alongside that. If I had to up the cycling to progress then I'd have to think hard but until that time I'd like to do both.
  • popsider - That's exactly my experience too. Compared to cyclists, triathletes are completely different set of people. To give an example, some often join the local cycling groups by cycle behind the peloton in order to avoid drafting, very awkward people :)

You seem to enjoy the time trails, though this is only one aspect. If I were you I would try myself in road races or even would explore the track if you can, you would enjoy the 4000m team trail. Those training on the track have always quicker legs than those who don't. The racing would help you to gain more experience in the tactics, something which is very very important. The time trail is a safe option, wheras the road race is the thriller :)
  • Yes I've done a few road races - doing one tomorrow and probably next Sunday too. I don't mind time trials but like you say it isn't the most thrilling activity and you don't learn much about cycling in them do you.

Track is difficult because there are no proper velodromes round here - there are tracks and I do have a fixed that would be useable if I took the back brake off but the track nights for beginners are both on Fridays when my partner goes to her running club - may try and get down to one over the winter though.

I seem to remember you were doing big miles URR. The most anyone I know personally does is 300 miles a week.
  • The guys you beat in a time trail sometimes can outsprint you in road races. That's what I always found frustrating about cycling. The sprinters usually have just enough energy to hang in there and during the last 5km they get in position, can smell the victory and always end up on the podium, whereas the "rolleurs" always end mid pack.

I was more a "rolleur" type, tyring to break away from the peloton and I did well in very difficult longer races (with a serious climb every lap). Did reasonably well on the track 3000m in 3:53 where you have to maintain a high pace.

In my teens it was about 300mpw, usually 2-2:30h after school with various "chain gangs", serious pace, no sightseeing trip :) Though I must say at that stage I didn't really understand racing and how road racing works, this took me a long time, reading a race and what to do, in most cases I was happy to remain in the peloton and just finish. Being dropped was usually the worst scenario! Only later at junior and first senior year I got better in races, though I had an accident in a race and it wasn't the same like before.

• My marathon shoes from memory!

Paris 96, Reebok racers tore my feet apart on a day of 28 degree C pulled out at 30K
    Never ran in Reeboks again!

Venice 96
    London 97
    Madrid 98
    London 99
    Manchester 99
    Dublin 00
    Amsterdam 03
    All in asics DS trainers or Gel Lytes

The first 3 I got quicker after that I was coached for 3 & got slower!

That had little to do with shoes but I've trained in NB 900 or NB 832's this year [used to use asics Kayanos] for my long runs & was going to race in them, but SiT said I should try my Nike Spectrum Plus racers with Paula wore in her WR races!
    They feel very lightweight but supportive,
    I'm fit feel a PB is on so every second counts for this one so maybe give them ago.
    Will decide in next few days :-)

popsider, I'm not sure what you should choose but in your position I'd want to find out what's causing you to get running injuries.
    Your cycling routes sound fantastic, the running down here is fine but the roads can get very busy & not good for cycling
  • I think Tim that my right leg isn't aligned very well - tibial torsion which may have been compensatory for the femur being too medially rotated - this is just an educated guess. FOr example my right foot will sometimes clip my left calf. I have tried orthoses but didnt get on with them comfort wise plus they made my feet sweat too much. I know what you mean about the roads in Kent, I have a brother in Canterbury and I thought that when I last visited him.
  • popsider, it's a big shame if you have to limit your running but I've always said my health is most important.
    I'd rather run 1:20 1/2's regular than get injured all the time.
    So I'd go with what keeps you active & healthily.

I just don't get injured, so it's hard to understand, I'm guess it's my good luck in life :-)
  • Not just good luck. It sounds to me like you look after the other things - diet, hydration, stretching, avoiding overtraining and having good all round strength from your job (like Bill Adcocks).
  • Did my first mara in Skylons and second in NB 830s. If I can get into shape for a crack at a third, think I would be tempted to go for either the NB 205 or sthg like the Ekidens.

BR/BT - already just about written off the orthotics and just concentrating on building the mileage up very very gently at 10% per week only this time.

Simon
  • Yes, my job does keep me strong & being outside is a big plus!
    The downside might be laying concrete blocks on a Friday the day before an XC race.

Being in a school, office must really knock your health.

I'm also lucky in the fact that most of the people we work for don't smoke & are against it, quite odd in the building trade!

What I've learn't to do this summer is look after my back, partly to do with me starting a spors massage course in November.
    I also read somewhere, that what we do know effects our later live's
    My dad used to jump from the top scaffold of a house into the sand, now he has a bad hip & knees!

So take care & look after that body :-)

How many over wieght men in the UK spend hours polishing a car & don't care about what really matters!
    A dirty car still goes from A - B!!!!!!!!

a fat man dies early.......
  • Simon, good news on kicking the orthotics :-)
  • Good news Simon, Pantman will be pleased;-)

BT, those last 2 lines are going to be one of my favourite running quotes...

Being in a school does mean I can take the weight off my feet in marathon week (unless I go to Disneyland)!!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Tim, I think your avoidance of injury is down to good biometrics - assuming you don't wear orthotics, then tit's something you were born with.

My favorite quote is "If you want to be a good runner, choose the right parents"

• Considering i was told i had a "deformed" set of legs as a child--I dont do too badly
  • BR, glad you liked them!

hippo, you do quite well, I think :-)

• How do we know when we are "fat burning" as opposed to using glycogen + oxygen?

Can we train our bodies to burn fat instead of glycogen?

Seeing as there will hardly be an ounce of fat on us is it pointless even thinking about it?

Its just that it is the most efficient way to generate energy so I am wondering how we make it happen.
  • thankyou Tim, that got me out the door this morning:))))
  • Sodahead, you burn more fat at a lower pace, so by running long & steady your body gets used to mixing fat & carbohydrates.
    Know what you mean about being 'lean & mean', my body fat is only supposed to be 5%

I was also thinking today, if your useing energy drinks in a marathon, would you ever run out of carbohydrate & need to use fat as fuel?
    In theory you should be able to.
    Not sure how much I'd need either!

hippo, I could have stayed in bed this morning, but it felt good to be out when I was running :-)

• Tim,

So what is your decision for Amsterdam - are you going to try the racers?

Simon
  • Simon - great news!!!

Tim - can't be done in practice as absorption rates are too low. Also, lactate levels need to be lower and that burns more fat by default. (I think...)

• Simon - I am working backwards too - 1st 5M barefoot today - great fun!
  • Yes, made that decision tonight!

Legs feel fine after Sunday to I'm going to give them ago!

It was the flames along the side that did it for me in the end :-)