Plodding in the Streets

(can't remember who did it originally, but didn't David Bowie and Mick Jagger do a cover?)

Comments

• Okay, porridge eaten, bag packed.

Now just need to go to the loo 50 times and I'll be ready. Oh, and rendezvous with Splodge who's doing Bristol too.

Will report back later. And good luck to all those racing today x
  • Go Norma!!! Hope the weather is good, not too warm, not too windy, maybe a nice cooling drizzle if required.
  • Martha and the Vandellas?

Bowie and Jagger did indded do a cover, for Live Aid I believe

morning btw

good luck Norma and Splodge

good luck Quimby

I'm sure other people are racing, so apologies for not remembering, so a general

GO PLODDERS!!!!!

ooops, sorry anyone not racing who wanted to sleep in
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

yeo, I wanted to sleep in but was wide awake at 6.30am!

oh, well should make the best of it I suppose and get uot nice and early for my run.

It's soooo windy up here on the fife coast! Does anyone else hate running in the wind? I love the rain but hate the wind.
  • Go Racers!

Go non-racers too!

Lacking enthusiasm this morning. Up far too early.

At least it's not windy here yet. I think we got the wind yesterday "daan saaaf".

At least it drives the chavs indoors.
  • Morning all,

Also planned for sleep in but was wide awake at 6:45 thinking it was 8:45.

Got text from friend in Sydney having done the Harbour bridge 10k in 55 minutes!!!!

Good luck for all the racers!
  • Hate plodding in the wind which unfortunately happens rather a lot on the coast. I blame that in part for my plodding demise!

Beautiful morning today though - maybe just maybe...
  • Went out and did a few miles this morning at 4.30 and it was lovely.Shift worker unfortunately.The wind is getting up now though, weatherwise.....
  • good morning all,

& good luck to all racing plodders!

I had a lovely lie in this morning :0)
    was up at 6.30 to feed the dawgs, then went back and read for an hour and dropped back off - didn't surface again until 9.30 - and I had an earlyish night last night - well - I must have needed it!

Not much wind here today, but rain forecast for this afternoon, like sam, don't mind the rain - but hate the wind!
  • just plodded - v impressed with 4:30 btw gobby!

Was a bit windy (weatherwise obviously - I'm a lady you know!) but not too bad.

Feeling much better now - have been feeing really legargic the last few days - probably lots to do with a carp diet of bicuits - eating peach now - much more virtuous!

...#in ancient times#
  • sorry!

that last bison post was me!

am also impressed with a 4.30 start, shift worker or not, I'd have been tempted to just roll over & go back to sleep

• Morning folks,

Good luck all you racers...

Back from my week of cat-sitting in Jude's wonderful techno-house. Managed first proper plod for ages yesterday, 5 miles along the bank of the river Wey - absolutely gorgeous.
  • afternoon (just)

been out for a long plod this morning, well into new territory at 11 miles...

I wish to raise a new slow plodding standard though. At one point going up one of the last hills I looked down (ok I noticed as my head was already drooping) and my step length was about 6 inches! This is worse than plodding, worse even than staggering on. This was genuine TRUDGING! I would have been better walking at that point but I can be too darn stubborn sometimes.

Anyway, managed first 30 mins non stop then settle into a 9/1 run/walk for the rest of it.

Chuffed to bits at the moment even allowing for getting cramp in both calves at the same time in the bath!!!!!

oh and the time was 2:06.

Aiki, you should have said I could have meet you as I'm only a couple of miles from Jude's (I think).
  • 2:06 for 11 is bliddin good in my book Staggs

well done
  • #plod upon England's mountains green#

Morning Pink :0)

and everyone else too.

Hope you got some sleep Yeo !

Good luck to all racing plodders today.

Just back from a 7 miler at the seaside, very windy, didn't want to push too hard with the GNR just a fortnight away,
    so how did we knock 26 seconds off our best time??
    Sometimes this plodding is a mystery to me.

Good going Staggers,glad the cramp didn't spoil things.
  • Hi Yeo
    can't stop to chat serving up scrambled egg for the little ones,
    plenty to go round if anyone fancies some.

later plodpals :0)
  • go plodding racers :o)

Are you all dazzled by my bright, shining halo? 'Tis shining out as I have plodded again (three times in 7 days - woohoooo!)
    OK, so this is a personal piety thing. if everybody on this board had a halo for every plod they did, they soon wouldn't be able to move for the shiny ringy things.

OK, so I'm blabbering on. I'm just soooo happy. 3 miles! Hurrah!!!

Later xxx
  • Believe me, I want to just turn over and go back to sleep,. But that is what makes the difference between us and couch potatoes.We "DO" get up and do something instead of just talk about it.Well done every one how went out this morning.
  • Well done all who have plodded, especially Staggs for getting in a good long one before Windsor.

You know yesterday, when I said on the forum that I fancied doing that 10k today, and you all said, go for it, just don't go out too hard? I *didn't* go out hard, I didn't think, but felt REALLY good (probably due to 2 days rest after my long run), and trotted along quite fast, and knocked another 2 mins off my PB. And it was an undulating course, compared to a dead flat course a few weeks ago when I did my previous PB! <q does happy dance>
  • Nice to see you on the forum again, aiki - please do tell about Jude's techno-house? Does she have Wallace & Grommit-style automatic toast & stuff?
  • ACE Quimby!

did you break the hour?
  • Oh, yes, yeo, I think my goal was a little low, I almost beat 50 mins. Really didn't think my legs would go that fast after 13 hard miles on Thursday, but the rest after that seems to have replenished my muscles. Although I was slightly incapacitated by the press-ups I did yesterday, I was struggling to get the car into 5th gear on the drive there.
  • I am starting to scare myself by looking at what time I would have needed to do to be 1st lady 35 vet. (Need to knock another 8 mins off for that, so maybe not soon...)
  • I too was curious about Jude's techno-house, and I like the W&G imagery

aiki?
  • brill Quimby, that will set you up nicely for the half

now - taper - and carbo-load

obviously
  • I think I'm going to struggle with this tapering business, only really did it once, for my 10 mile race (don't usually bother for shorter ones). When you feel like the running's going really well, you just want to blast along for the fun of it. But I will be sensible; there's a very hilly 15k next Sunday that I would have done if not for the half the week after, and even with my sproingy optimism I do realise that running it would be daft.
  • Fab racing Q! And good long one Staggers.

Just got back and showered after Bristol Half. I managed to knock over 10 minutes off my pb, coming in at 2.09.14ish (by my watch), and Splodge knocked about 20-30 seconds off hers, finishing in 1.55 and a bit (she's v. speedy).

Woo hoo!
  • Well done, Norma, 10 minutes of a PB is FANTASTIC! Do you have any special treat lined up to reward yourself? (Sadly I scoffed too much choc yesterday to be able to justify rewarding my PB with anything extravagant.)

Was the weather OK? Not too much wind?
  • Huge congratulations
    Quimby and Norma.

That 'feeling good' feeling is great isn't it,Quimby? - something siimilar happened to me this morning, although I wasn't racing. 2 minutes off your PB, you must be thrilled. Well done.

And you too Norma, 10 minutes is a mighty big chunk. I think there's some Champagne around the tent somewhere for the pair of you.