Grizzly 2005

Comments

• ............. yeah, know the feeling, not enough days in the hours!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Iain it doesn't matter what you wear in the bog! if you are lucky it will be only knee deep slush. Fisherman's waders are the best option.
  • Just rescued this from page 3...........

Bayrunner no 1571
    Creamcake (cub run) 3131
    HMG 112
    IAIN
    IAN BAWLER
    LLUVMUD 548
    JUGGLER 1359
    IW IN BRISTLE
    KAM
    LW* 3172 (CUB RUN)
    LIN C 1360
    MAKS FRIEND (LESS MAK) 1020
    MOE 223
    MY LEFT KNEE 515
    OLDHASBEEN (cub run)
    PAB
    PLUM 673
    RW* 55
    SAUCONY-IN-THE-SKY 21
    SUPERVET
    SEABIRD (NOW DOING CUB)
    SNAP (NOW DOING CUB) 1280
    VAMPIRE 222

ANY IDEA OF CONDITIONS FOR THE WEEKEND FOLKS?
    ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF A GROUP PHOTO PRIOR TO RACE(S)

Weather forecast for the day has improved considerably over the week, cold but hopefully without the hail, sleet and wintry showers.

Any takers for a group photo??????????
  • hi all - just about to head south

i know its a bit late but i have a spare number - if anybody wants it find any bitton road runner & ask for me, we will be in holiday camp hall & local pubs tonight & tomorrow :)
  • Hi,
    Is anyone running with a camelback and when are you going to start drinking the energy drink sat night or sunday morning?
  • depends.. is lager an energy drink?
  • might run with camelbak but putting energy drink it in will mean you need to really clean it - otherwise it grows nice big mould....

probly will have a bit of carb loader saturday night and sunday morning. Although a smack in the face will be what i need i think!
  • I'm going to be eating pasta as if it's going out of fashion on Saturday in the hope that it'll make up for all the training that I haven't done.

Feeling quite concerned that this will be my worst ever performance there :(

Bayrunner no 1571
    Creamcake (cub run) 3131
    HMG 112
    IAIN 1964
    IAN BAWLER
    LLUVMUD 548
    JUGGLER 1359
    IW IN BRISTLE
    KAM
    LW* 3172 (CUB RUN)
    LIN C 1360
    MOE 223
    MY LEFT KNEE 515
    OLDHASBEEN (cub run)
    PAB
    PLUM 673
    RW* 55
    SAUCONY-IN-THE-SKY 21
    SUPERVET
    SEABIRD (NOW DOING CUB)
    VAMPIRE 222
  • I use the sterilising powder I get from the home-brew shop in the camelbak. only about 50p a bag and lasts for ages (even with all the home-brewing)............
  • Vampire is dropping out, so another number going begging!

e-mail if needed.
  • lightweight!! (sorry, "hope she's OK"!!)
  • oo er, dead nervous now and I'm only doing the cub run!!

Bayrunner no 1571
    Creamcake (cub run) 3131
    HMG 112
    IAIN 1964
    IAN BAWLER
    LLUVMUD 548
    JUGGLER 1359
    IW IN BRISTLE
    KAM
    LW* 3172 (CUB RUN)
    LIN C 1360
    MOE 223
    MY LEFT KNEE 515
    OLDHASBEEN (cub run 3107)
    PAB
    PLUM 673
    RW* 55
    SAUCONY-IN-THE-SKY 21
    SUPERVET
    SEABIRD (NOW DOING CUB)
    VAMPIRE 222

• it's tomorrow!!!!!!!!
    any particular reason why some of us are in capital letters and some aren't? just curious!:-)

Bayrunner no 1571
    Creamcake (cub run) 3131
    HMG 112
    IAIN 1964
    IAN BAWLER
    LLUVMUD 548
    JUGGLER 1359
    IW IN BRISTLE
    KAM
    LW* 3172 (CUB RUN)
    LIN C 1360
    MOE 223
    MY LEFT KNEE 515
    PAB
    PLUM 673
    RW* 55
    SAUCONY-IN-THE-SKY 21
    SUPERVET
    SEABIRD (NOW DOING CUB)
    VAMPIRE 222

10.00am: Group photo (can anyone recomend anywhere for the photo?)

Plum, are u still doing it? I haven't seen u since last year in Paris....
  • leaving sunny london in an hour or so
    see the survivors later
  • Maybe a good spot for the photo would be on top of the hump?

Don't worry if you that doesn't make sense, its yards from the Hook and Parrott (as you approach from HQ) and you can't miss it.
  • Bayrunner no 1571
    Creamcake (cub run) 3131
    HMG 112
    IAIN 1964
    IAN BAWLER
    LLUVMUD 548
    JUGGLER 1359
    IW IN BRISTLE
    KAM
    LW* 3172 (CUB RUN)
    LIN C 1360
    MOE 223
    MY LEFT KNEE 515
    PAB
    PLUM 673
    RW* 55
    SAUCONY-IN-THE-SKY 21
    SUPERVET
    SEABIRD (NOW DOING CUB)
    VAMPIRE 222

10.00am: Group photo on top of the hump, its yards from the Hook and Parrott (as you approach from HQ) and you can't miss it. (Thanks Moe:-)))

• ............ I'm off to school now, see you later or in the morning!
  • Moe, why are you going to school on Saturday mornin? was it coz u were naughty and didn't do your homework!:-)

I so hope we'll get the same weather tomorrow as today, it's beautiful here I can just feel the Spring/Summer coming:-)
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Time to carbo-load!
    See you all tomorrow!
  • Hunky firemen at the finish..... can't wait to do the Grizzly now!:-)
  • 1st back as usual....

What a great today, lovely weather for it, a big Thanks to all the Marshalls & Orgoniser.
    Nice to c some of you (Moe, Mixy, Mak's friend, Plummie, Vampire and a big Thanks to a few of you who were very kind to unstuck me from the mean and nasty bog, I tho I was going to stay there forever. The lady photographer tho it was quiet funny and keep taking photos, so if u see lots of photos of a girl stuck in the mud with lots of guys around it was me!
    A big Thanks to Mixy and (wombat if I got the right forum name?) for keeping me going at the end ( I think) and unbog me with Martin from Torrington RC ( i hope it's the right rc)

I've never done the Grizzly before but I tho it wasn't that bad, well apart from the last 2 hills and steps and the beach at the end.
    Gr8 day :-)
  • oh, a big thanks to Plummie too:-) to unbog me! well done for finishing, I know u had a hard time (((Plummie)))
  • I think I was back first but was too tired to post anything, I had a look at the Hook & Parrot but did not see any obvious forumites.

That lady photographer was laughing at me as well, oh well at least she had a good time! First Grizzly for me as well thought it was great but not at the time! Organisation, Marshalls and water stations all were excellent. Plus lots of jelly babies along the course, no chance of running out of sugar.

What about that bog though, thought my shoe was going at one stage, and then trying to run with a couple of pounds of mud on each shoe, uphill!

Finished in 3h 19m but the main thing is that I survived!
  • Well Done Bay Runner for surviving the Grizzly in a very good time too:-)
  • Sombody stole the water splash :(

Back with a write up later :)
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Small disaster for me. I'd fallen on sheet ice last week and hurt my hip. Seemed OK at club night so I started. Got the odd twinge by 5 miles, and decided to be prudent, so I turned left and went back with the cub runners. Its a bit sore tonight, but I think I made the right decision 'cos I'm walking the West Highland Way over Easter and I don't want to do that with a gipmy legs.

HMG Your stuckness in the bog was creating a Grizzly legend before the event was over.
  • I've been fed and watered now, so here goes :)

I've had a couple of real rubbish results lately and have been 'very' lazy with my training so I decided that caution was the best approach today, put on my HRM, set it to bleep at 160bpm and promised myself that if it bleeped I would slow down. Cautious was the word at the start too!! Far to blooming cautious! I started much too far back in the field and spent the first mile or so dodging ankles as I tried to find some space. After that though all went well. The HRM did it's job and I listened to it as I gradually worked my way through the field. I can't remember being passed by anyone that I didn't overtake again shortly after. All in all I feel a bit of a fraud as far as the race goes (not really). It was more training run than race. I felt fine at the finish, I feel fine now, my legs aren't even that stiff although if I gone there to race I'd have probably blown a gasket and finished a lot further back. We even went into Exeter for a walk round the shops after, then popped to Exeter Services where we bumped into a couple who had run Grizzly properly (you could tell by the grimace on their faces as they struggled to walk in). At the finish my watch said 2:31:56 although my official time will be slower because I didn't press start until I crossed the start line. I think I finished in the high 30's but i'm not sure. If that's true then I'm very pleased as I was expecting to be a good way further back than that :)))

Here's to next year!!!!!

PS they laughed at me to when I nearly fell backwards into the bog...
  • Well, I'm very pleased with how my Cub Run went. I did it in 2hrs 30 mins - ok not the fastest in the world but I did do a half marathon last weekend and haven't really put any training (proper that is!) in for months and months (due to motivation issues caused by severe depression!). I walked all the steep uphills and power walked the shingle (I have never been able to walk on shingle, let alone run). I settled for my trail (Approach) shoes in the end. It was more testing terrain and profile wise this year but not so muddy! Finished in not too much pain but pleasantly tired after the effort. I tried to keep to the left to let faster runners through, even on the cliff path, stairway to heaven and the steps out of Beer. I had already left for Devon when you lot had arranged the group photo hence I didn't meet any of you beforehand. My legs aren't complaining too much at all at the moment (and I did walk the Grizzly route from Beer to Seaton and back yesterday) but that will probably have changed by the morning...

Well done to all you lot for taking part. Well done to the marshalls, helpers, firemen, bagpiper etc etc for putting on a great race!