Paris Marathon - 2005

Comments

• Did paris in 5hrs52min, first race, Hit the wall at 14miles (never ran more than 14 miles before), had to walk about 5miles to get any strength back into my body, also suffering from lack of breath, Ended up doing a slow walk/run stagger to get to the finish. had a look at the dublin race (my home) looks like a bitch! not sure if i'll do it, 1 my mates rang me after the race & asked me how i got on. All i could say Pain and lots of Pain... I suspose everyone's first is the same!
  • Cathal,
    After my first marathon I said "never again", but you do forget and there's nothing like it is there:-))
  • Carpet

Not sure what its called but i can get free entry. A friend of mine has knows the manager who has offered free entry to a select few at work?

Will keep you and GuyW informed.
  • Finally got onto the photo-site. I knew I was in a bad way in the race but didn't realise just how bad !! There are a couple of photos of me and I look ready to throw-up in both of them. Thing is I think they're both from the first half of the race so presumably the ones from the second half and the finish were just too horrible to publish.
  • Sounds interesting MrE2. Look forward to hearing more

• Legs still a bit sore. Toe recovering well.
    Should be fighting fit by next week!

Bring on my second marathon! Although, I think that Sue would kill me if I even looked at another marathon entry.

Still toying with the idea of dropping down to watch London - my heroine Liz (I finished Athens) Yelling is running.

• For those that don't know, I live in a beautiful and expanding city called
    Milton Keynes.

Coopersrow lives in a sh***y little town 13 miles from me, called Northampton.

But fear not. Northampton will soon just be a suburb of Milton Keynes.
  • Was up at the expo last night saw loads of interesting runs paticulary Midnight sun in Norway in June. Was a good post race boost as this forum has been.
    Anyway i'll probably be at woolwich then i'll head down to the mall see if i can stop that mad priest trying to give someone a rugby tackle again this year.
    Anyway good luck to those taking part and let us know what yous be wearing so i can give you a shout as you go by.
  • Bogtrotter - 29228
    Tim - 42503
    Fatty - 24290
    David M - 34229
    CoopersRow - 46298
    Carpet - 14550
    Go Martini - 42285
    Guy W - 26085
    NeilE2 - 27168
    Tiger - 24090
    Frankeee - 8611
    Shiva-14207
    bern- 28015
    Halfpint harrier - 28595
    Neil E Dunnin - 32215
    The Sinc - 32257
    Phillip H - 42506
  • I want to see my photo. How do we tell the Frogs to log-off for a while?!

Peut-etre loggez-offez maintenant...
  • Cor Phillip your franglais est superbe!

• Well done Cathal - I said 'never again' after my 1st Marathon (London last year) + just did Paris this year - now I am TRUELY retired - for sure - GMx
  • That's just what I said after Paris last year and am now cacking myself about doing number 3 on Sunday! Also went and promised Ems I'd do Paris next year while we were caught up in the excitement of it all last week!!!
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    and children have very good memory
  • Oh dear Tim, you've opened a can of worms now.......

Anyone who has ever been to Milk and Beans, will know that it is full of roundabouts, with no pubs (except in the centre) with about as much character as a banana sandwich, with no banana in it!!!! As for Northampton being a suburb of it, just because MK is classed as a city, there is no chance. Any city that is basically a grid with all the street names beginning with horizontal and vertical, has got to rubbish!

Can't get your own football team so have to steal someone else's, and you're still shite!!

Need I carry on.......(give us a kiss)
  • Cathal - my first was 5 hrs 15
    I have now done 2 under 4 hrs
    Its not rocket science - you get out what you put in - 14 miles is a long way but not real prep for a mara
    a year after my 5:15 i decided i wanted to do it "properly"
    i trained like a pixie using the whizz kids programme - i can send it to you if you want - this had me running tues/thu/fri and long runs sunday at the most i had to do 3 x 18 miles on succesive sunday

all the sub 3 hrs on this board will be training harder than me - thats why they deserve to be sub 3
    look at running bhoys schedule (don't do it as he is a lunatic) - thats why he can do Paris /London back to back - he deserves it
  • I said 'never again' with 4 miles to go on Sunday and heading for a personal worst. By Tuesday morning I'd entered the 3 Forts x-c Marathon in 2 weeks time.

Strange how it goes.
  • I know jolly well that after standing on the kerb on the Highway on Sunday watching all the runners flow past I shall be searching for the next one to do as soon as I get home ... :)
  • Hi everyone!

Hope to see some of you on Sunday give us a shout if you see No. 28969.

Starting to carbo load again, and looking forward to it.
  • Hail Hail

Bogtrotter - 29228
    Tim - 42503
    Fatty - 24290
    David M - 34229
    CoopersRow - 46298
    Carpet - 14550
    Go Martini - 42285
    Guy W - 26085
    NeilE2 - 27168
    Tiger - 24090
    Frankeee - 8611
    Shiva-14207
    bern- 28015
    Halfpint harrier - 28595
    Neil E Dunnin - 32215
    The Sinc - 32257
    Phillip H - 42506
    Running Bhoy - 3068
  • Bogtrotter - 29228
    Tim - 42503
    Fatty - 24290
    David M - 34229
    CoopersRow - 46298
    Carpet - 14550
    Go Martini - 42285
    Guy W - 26085
    NeilE2 - 27168
    Tiger - 24090
    Frankeee - 8611
    Shiva-14207
    bern- 28015
    Halfpint harrier - 28595
    Neil E Dunnin - 32215
    The Sinc - 32257
    Phillip H - 42506
    Running Bhoy - 3068
    Gaza Running 34988

As someone said I looked focused , and i just thought I was knackered.

For those back to backing Good Luck , Had a couple of days in London before returning to the Unholyland , managed to get to the London Expo a lot more resonably priced and more general running stores flogging stock , but no wine

Already back into the training with no aches or pains at all , Had Dead Boring round for a celebratory glass of champagne and he has already commited to Paris next year so will see you all back there no doubt ,

Want to have that glass of champagne at 41 km, next time. Last Sunday I thought i was going to vomit at that point must of beeen that 400 lb gorilla on my back making me feel like shite
  • Bogtrotter - 29228
    Tim - 42503
    Fatty - 24290
    David M - 34229
    CoopersRow - 46298
    Carpet - 14550
    Go Martini - 42285
    Guy W - 26085
    NeilE2 - 27168
    Tiger - 24090
    Frankeee - 8611
    Shiva-14207
    bern- 28015
    Halfpint harrier - 28595
    Neil E Dunnin - 32215
    The Sinc - 32257
    Phillip H - 42506
    Running Bhoy - 3068
    Gaza Running 34988
    David Garaway 24057
  • Gaza, as I said before, the marathon should always be a doddle for you, compared to what you do for a living!!

I think I'd rather do an Iron Man, than shadow you for a day at work.
  • Fortunately none of me face down in the gutter. Good luck Snoop Dogg.

Bogtrotter - 29228
    Tim - 42503
    Fatty - 24290
    David M - 34229
    CoopersRow - 46298
    Carpet - 14550
    Go Martini - 42285
    Guy W - 26085
    NeilE2 - 27168
    Tiger - 24090
    Frankeee - 8611
    Shiva-14207
    bern- 28015
    Halfpint harrier - 28595
    Neil E Dunnin - 32215
    The Sinc - 32257
    Phillip H - 42506
    Running Bhoy - 3068
    Graz - 12476
  • UR all nutters going for more Marathons - me is retired for sure, for sure - good luck in London - GMx
  • Hail Hail

Has anybody managed to tape the marathon from Eurosport2? I checked my TV guide, it said it was going to be on, so I set the video to record at the correct time and channel (on long play - 6 hrs worth), and ended up with 6 hrs of the same Eurosport news bulletin, repeated over and over and over and over and over and...... you get the picture. Very disappointed. If any body does have footage, I would really appreciate a copy.

Managed to log on to the pics site last night at 00.45. 4 pics of me - 2 decent 2 rubbish (esp the Henrik Larsson impersonation - not really the same!!). Was too tired to check anybody elses. Sorry. Now cant log on again.

Bag packed for FLM. Off first thing tomorrow. On same flight as a pal who did Dublin last year, so some good craic at least.

• There's no doubt that serious training in any athletic discipline does pay dividends. However, most of us lead 'full' lives and can't devote the time needed to realise our potentials.

For many on this site, running is almost a religion - certainly a major leisure activity. That's wonderful for them.

However, it doesn't give them the right to 'look down' on others who make a life choice that running is just for fun.

At our gym, we've bodybuilders who deride runners/cyclists for their pathetic pecs/biceps,etc. But those bodybuilders couldn't run to the end of the street.

Also, we've runners who look down on bodybuilders because of their poor cardio stamina. But those runners couldn't lift a single decent-sized weight.

All these people are pathetic. They just can't accept that everyone doesn't want what they want.

Rant over

• I saw my pictures late last night, but they are all with me doing my aeroplane impression to the finishing line (zig zagging across road with arms outstretched....Why? I don't know...it seemed like a good idea at the time).

Bloody stupid if you asked me, I could've finished 10 seconds quicker!
  • CR - my pics are the same. Arms out - except for the last one which I'm head down and "sprinting" for the line!

Finally cured my craving for pizza and wine last night - although am troubled by the fact i couldn't finish the wine off. Perhaps a 3 litre box was a touch too ambitious...

RB - i think my sister attempted to record the marathon on Sky+ and was then going to transfer it onto tape. Am still waiting to hear from her if she managed to:

a. get Sky+ to record
    b. record the right programme
    c. transfer to tape.

Am guessing the silence from NW London is not a good sign. Will let you know. PS. are you out Pasta Partying in London on Saturday?