Paris Marathon - 2005

Comments

• Gaza Running

Yep that was me Paris and FLM wont do that for a long time to come. The legs found it hard at the end. Then we had a few pints in the Chandos pub and then off for a curry. What a day. Now its off to work?

Any one who has not done FLM get on it the support from the public was outstanding Paris had no touch on yesterday.

Did any one see Paula having a pee?
  • I was at london yesterday and i gotta say it seemed alot better than paris atmosphere wise although i didnt manage to spot anyone i was at the 24 mile marker sitting on a wall right under the timer had a great view of runners coming out of the tunnel.
    And as someone who grew up in the east end i gotta say its really not a dull place.
    Am definately gonna have a go next year.
  • I very much enjoyed spectating yesterday!

Saw Neil E Dunnin, that windsock you were carrying did stand out & Snoop the city gent & Rach.

I hadn't expected the run along the pavement to keep up the support between miles 21 - 25 though! Good thing I'd worn my running shoes :))
  • Had a fabulous day support FLM yesterday - but didn't manage to spot any Forum runners - so sorry. I was at Stragglers pitch just after 14Miles for over 3hrs.

Paula looked amazing - I blubbed again to see her pass.

Well done to all who ran on such a surprisingly hot day afterall.
  • Phillip - have U signed up for Sutton 10k? I've just started the Forum.
    Anyone else joining us in 2wks time?
    GMx
  • Thanks for reminding me. Will sign up now. I've printed off the entry as it's £1.50 cheaper to book by post. (I really am tight...)

Look forward to seeing you there.

Had a minging cold since Wednesday which is chesty and which still haven't managed to shake. Will go for a cycle later as that often does the trick.

Will find the new Sutton thread.
  • Well done to those yesterday - it was great fun spectating. Good to catch up with RB for a beer and MrandMRsE2, GM and Frankeee at Chandos. Also bumped into Snoop - liked the hat.

Highlight of the day was getting a response from Nell McAndrew as she ran by - I clearly inspired her on to a fantastic time.
  • Hail Hail

Morning all. Mr very sore legs here!

Right. First things first. Having never done either Paris or FLM before, and having a bit of an aversion to all things London-like, I can catergorically state that FLM is by far and away the best marathon I have EVER EVER EVER done! The organisation is superb, the course (dull East End or not) is great, the comraderie is fantastic, and the level of support is just simply UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The whole 26.2 miles I did not see a gap in the crowds, and the level of noise is just intense.
    I used to think that all the fancy-dressers were not in the spirit of running, but I was wrong. FLM may not be everybodys favourite race, but it IS what running is all about. All levels, all abilities, all enjoying themselves. If you dont want to run beside somebody dressed as a rhino, or Mr Incredible, or a sexy nurse(with a moustache!) then that's fine. Don't do FLM. But if you do want to be part of the world's biggest running family, then FLM is the one (and best one) for you. Simply superb.

By the way, I finished in 3.12ish which given the fact that it was really hot, Paris had only been 7 days previous, and I had to endure running behind Nell McAndrew for 2 whole miles (!!!), I am really pleased about.
    Good to catch up with Carpet, but next time I'll book a later flight! Didnt see anybody off this thread, but somebody DID shout out my name but I couldnt see who it was. I waved anyway.

Now a bit of time off (at least a week!) then start the training again for Embra. Mrs RB does the Glasgow Womens 10k in 4 weeks, so training is her dept for a while at least!
  • Congratulations RB that's a fantastic time!

I do agree that FLM is a great occasion. I had a fabulous time running in fancy dress last year and I must say I felt quite a pang of envy a few times yesterday watching it - although I'm quite sure I wouldn't have lasted the distance without a lot of discomfort!

Next year Easter interrupts so there appears to be two weeks between Paris & London. Thinks ..... ;)
  • Congrats to everyone who took part. Especially Tim and Mr Bump.

I wasn't there unfortunately. The new job that i started got busier and busier and for the past 2 months I have been working 14-16 hour days plus travelling for 3 hours so I have had no time to train. In fact haven't had time to do anything other than work, eat and sleep. Plus I had a bad case of the flu for a week which totally laid me low and I also had a sty in my left eye for a week as a result of which the left side of my face was swollen and painful for a week. So all in all it hasn't been a good few months.

Today is the first time I am logging onto the forum and reading the posts has been emotional. Especially the accounts of the race. Even though I wasn't there my thoughts were with all you guys and girls on the Sunday.

The overall feeling is one of dissapointment. I guess the reason for not logging on at all and reading the posts and posting myself was because it was my way of trying to deal with the disappointment of not being able to train and knowing deep down that as I missed one session after another that the inevitable was going to happen - I was going to have to miss the race.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me. I am sorry if I let anyone down by backing out. Hope to be with you all at the finish line next year.

I am not one to give up. Running is something I love and I will be back.

New York, New York?
  • Hail Hail

Thanks Tiger. I looked for the orange poncho, but either missed you, or you wisely took it off given the heat!!
    Yeah, a lot of pain, thanks. I started feeling uncomfortable at mile1, but thought that I could run it off. It got worse by halfway, and never went away. Mind you, it was nothing to the stomach cramps I had on th plane on the way home as the Immodium was wearing off!!!! And now, of course, the sunburn is itchy!!!
  • RB are you pleased about the 3.12 or running behind nell Mcandrew for 2 mile?
  • Hail Hail

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds of self-incrimination.
  • David - I saw the look on RB's face when he was describing his time and running behind NM - he was clearly much more chuffed with the latter.
  • Hi!

Well done all of you who were out there running or supporting yesterday.

Ran round with our Paris hostess, Rach, who unfortunately suffered severe stomach cramps from mile 13 onwards, and had to have a number of long pitstops. She was quite poorly last night and says she can't walk today, but needs to get back to Paris later, so hope matters improve gal.
  • Congrats RB on an incredible back to back.
    Rach did you have to do a paula or opt for the confines of pre fabricated plastic.
    Finally saw the highlights of London on Eurosport today looked superb.
    FYI Boston Marathon is on Eurosport live tonight 5 pm UK 6 pm CET ,
    Run Strong
  • Hi All!

Finally back at work after my tour of European capital cities last week - Paris, Amsterdam, Lisbon and Cardiff! Great trips to Lisbon and Cardiff, apart from the football. I seem to say that all the time.

Firstly - congrats to all those who ran London yesterday - awesome! Next year I think I'll be trying Rotterdam and London with the same time inbetween myself. I can well imagine the inspiration of your surroundings RB.

Well - I've just spent half an hour quickly scanning the post Paris postings. Great to meet you all Carpet, Frankee, Coopers row and special friend Luca and NFTB. Thanks a lot for the compliments on the pub quiz. At least my lucky showing was better than my attempt at running around the pub. What was all that about? Thanks for volunteering me CR - I've still got grazes on both shins to thank for my efforts!!! I also echo Frankee's comment on 'tattoo girl'. Nice! Enjoyed the jokes CR!

My race report - well set off with 2.56 target. Legs actually started to feel a bit odd at 2 k (!) but went through 1/2 in 1.28.00 (canny pacing!). Kept to 4.10 / k pace until 33 k then started to struggle and slow a bit, but fortunately was able to hang on to just sneak under 3 h.

Great that so many ran well with pbs but sorry to hear about your cramps RB. I'm sure a sub 3 is only just 'round the corner. Shame you couldn't make it to the Frog and Rosbif, but look forward to meeting you in Edinburgh.

Also sorry to hear about your experience Graz - hope you're ok now.

Quite a boozy lazy week for me last week, with only 2 short runs. Had pretty bad DOMS until Thursday. This week aim to pick up the mileage again, with quality sessions being added from next week. Not long to Edinburgh now.

My autumn marathon will be Berlin, with maybes New York or Athens in November. We'll see...
  • Hello All + well done to everyone who ran yesterday. A fantasic effort. Must say that spectating a marathon is much easier than running it (am gutted at missing Nell and even more gutted by Carpet's gloating that she spoke to him).

Feeling inspired to attempt to run it next year now. Any recommendations for a fast flat course for an Autumn marathon anyone?

PS. Sorry I missed everyone in the Chandos. Next time promise!
  • Pseudo! And there was me thinking our company was enough to drive you away forever!

Sorry about volunteering you for the pub run, but I genuinely thought that as it was a quiz, that it might be a quiz question that I was volunteering you for (makes sense) and you were doing so well. Oops! At least when you look at the scars on your shins, you will remember us forever, just think of it as a souvenir of a memorable weekend.

Anyway mate, if you want a copy of the picture that your missus took, drop me an email and I'll get it over to you.
  • Guy apparentley Berlin is Very Flat. And its Sept 26th i think.
    And if you sign up before end of this month its 50 Euro
  • Amsterdam is very flat too - 16th Oct

also Lausanne - 23rd Oct

Me considering another marathon already? Ooops!
  • Hi Guy!
    Sorry I didn't get to see you yesterday, at least I managed to hear you! :)

Got any races planned coming up?
  • I'm not up for Berlin......I went last year (to watch) and although the course is flat and good for PB's, it's a rubbish weekend away (and that is just as important!)....

I want my next one to be like Paris whereby the 2 can be combined.....so any ideas?
  • Rome or Barcelona :)
  • Sorry that's spring.....Marathon du Medoc Sept 9th 26.2 mile p!ss up......Monaco...stunning-Nov...Budapest Oct 2nd....Amsterdam ....did the half can recommend.
  • Do not forget to enter the lottery for NY , if you get a place you can always defer costs only a few dollars to enter upfront
    Reviews of Rome are very mixed
    Or january for the Tiberius Marathon here , lowest marathon on earth 200 plus m below sea level thus more o2, dead flat around the sea of galilee out and back - no crowds no atmosphere small field - sounds like fun
  • Just to say well done to all. Had a ball in Paris and watching yesterday. Great to catch up with you all.

Rach hope you get well soon. Your drink got warm so had to take care of it for you...

Will keep in touch regarding MrE2's last run in Kingston and have already joined other forums for next races.

Will catch you later - been a pleasure.

Frankeee
  • Tiger - doing the Richmond half marathon on 15th May and the Dysart Dash on 26th June. Make add a few more 10ks in there, but cricket season has now started so that'll be my summer distraction