PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• My Left Knee.
    Wouldn't agree with you on Reading being very well organised. There was a big queue to get dechipped and have a space blanket in the rain (at least when I finished) and getting out of the car park took ages. That said I will be considering it for next year
  • Anyone receeived their priority entry email and password yet?
  • No - but I'm not surprised. We'll probably be able to pick up our priority e-mail from a portakabin half an hour before the race.
  • I stand corrected and somewhat amazed - email notification has come arrived.

Cost is 20 quid but it appears that we don't even get a tee-shirt next year!
  • They are all profiteers and will carry on milking the race to death as long as people are mug enough to keep paying and clamouring for places............... its a bit like the classic bank holiday syndrome everyone wants to get to the beach only to end up uncomfortably sat in a traffic jam for a large part of it!............ it would be funny if it weren't so tragic.
  • 22:35 and still waiting for my priority eMail.
  • My priority email has arrived and, much to my horror, I have signed up! Why?! It was a disaster this year, I ended up standing in a queue for 90 minutes before the start of the race just trying to get a number as nothing had arrived in the post. Swore I'd never do it again, especially as Bath holds miserable memories for me from when I used to live there, and the course is very dull. But something somewhere inside me just fancies re-living the horror for old time's sake. And I haven't had a pint of Gem in far too long...
  • .............. I rest my case!

There are loads of brilliant races that cost half the price are better managed and just as good an atmosphere. Also a lot of them are scenic and varied as well!

They are run forr the love of running not the love of cash!
  • Whats a good one to do at about that time of year, which is an easy one for a first timer?
  • I know you guys hate it but it is flat and where my brother lives so I'm in.
  • Skipp, the easiest half that I know of at that time is the strangely misnamed "London Half" at Silverstone. The course is rather dull (unless you're a Formula One fan) but it's flat as a pancake.

As for Bath, I won't be doing it again. I've gone on enough about last year's chaos, so I'll say no more. There are too many other good events at that time of year to feel the need to do this one again. A word of warning for people who love the city of Bath as much as I do, but haven't done the race - the half marathon course goes nowhere near the crescents or the other landmarks. It's a two lap course through some residential streets, then along a delapidated, industrial part of the town. One of the least attractive races I've done, when I was expecting it to be one of the most interesting.

Despite last year's disaster, everyone deserves another chance, and I hope that it goes well for those who do enter. Remember to get in as quickly as possible. It fills up in no time.

• I far from hate the event Josie, it was a great race (got my PB there in 2000) but since then it has been run as a business first and foremost rather than a running event. They should take a leaf out of Plymouths book, now thats how to run (organisationally........ is that a word?!) a half marathon!

Silverstone is probably better than Bath (even though still run as a business), at least the FLM organisation know how to do it properly, it has more kudos........... and its flatter than Bath!
  • ............... parking at Silverstone is a little better too............. to say the least!
  • I'm gonna give it a miss this year, Hastings is the week before (although much to my disgust they're using the same 'chip in number' system), and as a Hogweed looks like 2 hilly halfs back to back!
  • Online entries are now available to priority applicants (including people who ran this year).

Was very disappointed at the confusion & lack of organisation this year, but think I'll give it one more go..........
  • Hmm, just received my priority invitation, cos I tried to do it for the first time last year and didnt get in.

Judging from the above, maybe I had a lucky escape?!
  • Can't be less picturesque than some bits of Reading :-)

I'll give it a go this once. I'm hoping to do a half in each town my family lives in.
  • can anyone help, I can't access my talk 21 account from work and I am guessing that that is where my priority entry number has been sent to... is there anyone out there willing to have a look for me...? (I can guarentee that there will be lots of spam in there is that is your thing!)
  • Howdy spans, how's it going?

So, like me, you've given in to the temptation and are going to do Bath again despite last years travesty!

I haven't had a priority mail yet, so gave them a call (01225 471282) and they gave me my password and registration no. over the phone).

Good luck - c u there if not before.
  • How much does it cost then?
  • Don't think I'll bother entering, it seems like more hassle than what it's worth, also I haven't received my email. Latest entry on their website:

"We are currently experiencing problems with Visa Delta cards, we hope to have resolved this by Tuesday 28th September.

Using a credit or debit card for more than two transactions may result in your bank refusing the payment. If your bank does lock the card please stop re-entering your details, contact them directly and stagger all future transactions over a reasonable timescale."

Look like it's starting to go wrong already, not a good sign!

Probably do Reading half, although this did have a few problems a couple of years ago (delayed start) and parking & access into Reading is a nightmare, but might risk it anyway as I'll be traveling by train and don't have to worry about parking.
  • Goes without saying the resistration page of the website doesn't work...

By the way, does anyone know if they were successful in their bid to get more roads closed and therefore increase this years entry?
  • JJ managed to get into my email account so have got my password and managed to enter no problems... it is expensive though £20 and then they ask for a £5 donation to charity... yeah right!!!

Rocks - despite everything I did enjoy the race last year and having the opportunity to spend the weekend in Bath so yes I will more than likely return!
  • Rocks, thanks for the advice, followed it through with a call to Running High and entry submitted online OK.
  • Was going to enter Bath Half, but having read this thread think I will give it a miss. Anyone recommend a good alternative for March?
  • ........... The Grizzly? ;-)
  • I'm reserving the Grizzly for when I've 'done' a spring marathon. Too many chances for injury me thinks.
  • I agree a night out in bris/bath is a draw - but to be honest a run along the cycle path is more tempting.

Grizzly - no way! had to defer FLM due to a knee incurred on a cross-country race last year. I'm with JJ and I'm not taking any chances.
  • apparently grizzly is already full. jeckmac - forest of dean 1/2 is very good all off road on forest tracks would be there myself but am doing grizzley.