PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Afternoon everyone !

Hope all is going well - and thanks to all those working behind the scences eg Wrinty, Race Director and media star Boy Wonder (any more Buck Pallace stunts planned ?)

And oh bugger

I'm sulking big time - especially after being told by BW that the rush inducing Samba band will be doing their stuff on Sunday

My immune system has staged a walkout.

Taking its cue from the BBC's upbeat Supervolcano 2 parter (NB - we're all doomed, so no part in worrying about DIY ; but get that PB in sharpish before its too late..) a minor cold/bug of mine has erupted into something quite spectacular.
    I'm poorly and wallowing in self pity :~(

More to the point, much of Wales and the SW of England will be wallowing in a thick layer of oft-derived boogey and slime by Sunday if this thing carries on...

If I do make the start line (seems currently unlikely) my musical requests are likely to include Under Pressure (Queen/Bowie) and anything by Green Day

Hope everbody else is having a better week

• Better get the boogey hoses out then!

Shame you've been struck by the lurgy this week - hope you make it to the startline on Sunday.

Supervolcano - just kiss the world goodbye!
  • Silly question maybe, but are you running this year BW ? Presumably not if helping out ???
  • After my exploits in the last couple of year, especially last year's week-end of mud and abuse, I'm taking it easy this year so will be running.

However.... as road-running doesn't really do much for me, I'm actually doing one of the South Wales fell races the day before (Llanbedr-Blaenavon), followed no doubt by a few welsh beers watching the end of the rugby, so won't be looking for any PB's on Sunday.
  • LLL...
    hi ya bud,
    I am running with UFM so yep will be watching her rear end disapear off in to the distance!
    My Knee is better than it was but is still sore after about an hour of running. "So tonight, I will be mostly NOT going to circuits!" 5 miler- medium pace, instead Methinks?
    How is every body else's week of tapering going?
    {:o)¬<
    Stace.
  • Haven't run at all this week yet (blushes guiltily), so you could say my taper's been going rather toooo well...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm the opposite TTM and my legs feel dead:o(
  • Oh good, so it's not just me, my calves are still "burning" from 3 good quality days and one slow one.

For the first time in 6 months I am going to try and follow what the schedule says for the next few days. (Checks). Well, not exactly then.
  • Actually ran this evening! Only 5 miles, mind. Can still feel my 20 miles from Sunday in my legses.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I need someone to tie my shoe laces together and stick glue to the bottom of my trainers to stop me running for a day or two I think, then I might be fresh enough to run on Sunday!
  • What do you think parking will be like in Bath on Sunday? Will I have to get there at the crack of dawn to get parked?
  • Ambitously planning an 8 mile speed sesh before work tomorrow. We'll see...
  • going for 10 steady today (I hope) and rest tomorrow. little 3 on sat, slow, and run really well on sunday. LOL best layed plans A

I'v got the glue hilly. LLL you get those laces. Its for your own good now stay still and don't strugle.

LLL after helping hilly rest she won't overtake us will she!!!
  • just back from a three day conference - my you have all been busy posting!!

Any news on the weather for Sunday - please say it's not going to rain??!!

• Birdypie Itnot going to rain??!!

sorted
  • thanks! I feel so much better.

All that wet crumples my feathers and makes it very difficult to get off the ground!
  • Will Runners World be having pace makers at this event as they were in Liverpool. I found them very handy?!!
  • Apparently not - someone asked the RD earlier on this thread and it was a no.
  • This my 4th run-free, bug ridden, day - and the biggest running holiday I've had for a long time : so a case of denial (monday), anger (tue), depression (yesterday), acceptance (today ?).

The only Bath I'm likely to see Sunday is a hot steaming with Oilbas and other sinus clearing aromatics. Blisters, Hilly and other lucky people on their feet - I'm jealous !

If healthy and fit I'd taper and go for a big PB (wind permitting..)

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    oft, you've still got 2 days, so you might feel better and well tapered. I hope so!

Lol alan, those laces weren't double knotted they came undone and I managed 6 miles at a slow pace due to the glue making my trainers stick to the road. It was a bit like slow motion!:o) Definite rest day tomorrow though!

I'd be interested in the anwser about parking in Bath. I've got a 2hr drive to get there, so should I aim to get there pretty early to park?
  • If you know where to park, it's not too bad (but I'm not publishing my favourite spot on the Internet!), and it also depends which direction you're coming from.

Bath was my first half, 21 years ago, so I come of age this year. I set a PB there about 5 years back, and am hoping to do well on Sunday, but I've done lots of stamina work, and next to no speed work, so no PB this year...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm coming from Dorset and don't know Bath area at all, so I doubt I'd find your best spot!:o)
  • hilly - I would recommend using one of the Park and Ride car parks. I'm planning on the Odd Down one - Info Here They have buses every 15 mins - I don't really know the best places to park and even if I did, they are bound to close the road or something. The park and rides usually have toilets on them so saves a queue when you get to the start area.

I have now declared myself fit to run on Sunday so barring any further problems, I see you there - don't forget to say hello when you overtake on the second loop :-)
    RD
  • WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    LLL, If everyone can get around in under two hours then I should have time to join you in the bar before it shuts, otherwise I am still manning the finish area and you can bring me over a couple take-outs.
  • R.D...
    "Declaration of fitness" to run or a "fitting declaration"... either way mate look after your leg you've got a fair few races comming up!

Wrinty...
    You have mail!

From what I have been told and seen on the signs on and around the route a lot of parking places have been suspended so make sure where you think you can park is still available. I still think that the Park & Rides are the best Idea if you dont know the city very well. (And Bath is not the best place to navigate around even when the roads are open!)...

Stace.
  • We're moving to final arrangements now so I won't have a chance to check out this group for a couple of days. Good luck to you all on the day. Fingers crossed for the weather, the local forecast is very good. The venue is looking great - bags of tents for tent loads of bags, and a beer tent (not that I'll get to use it, have one on me !). The biggest Bath Half ever, a record 8,000 entries, lead by a crack bunch of Kenyans determined to punch a hole in last year's mens record, and one of the strongest UK womens fields we've ever had. On the Sunday it's your event, we just provide the backdrop and clear up your mess ! So enjoy yourselves, we've worked very very hard to make it the best Bath Half ever, now its over to you to make it happen. So mild and sunny please Mr Weather Man with a gentle breeze, no more cock-ups on our side, oh - and a personal best for everyone !! Hoping for loads of positive feedback to erase the memories of 2004 when I log back on here on Monday. Cheers. Andrew Taylor
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks RD, I'll pass that on to my hubby and I think we'll be using the park and ride too.

Glad your leg is good enough to run, I'll look out for you:o)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you worked hard race director, I for one look forward to doing my first Bath half marathon!
  • I'll second that - really looking forward to this now. Weather is looking great for Sunday Metcheck for Bath It looks like tomorrow is going to be a tad warm.

I like the beer tent idea, too! Did we ever finalise a pre- or post- meeting point ?
    RD