PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• U/I - hope Mrs is recovering now.
    Hilly, RD - sorry to hear you had to pull out. Hope you're feeling better.

It was good to meet all the people who came over to say Hi. I enjoyed seeing the race from another angle - it's the first time I've realised that some runner come back into a fairly empty field - it's usually pretty crowded when I get there! A fairly exhausting day, though - much easier to run it, I think.

Happy running.
  • well done everyone! The event was much better this year, vowed i wouldnt run this race again, because of the dreadful organisation, so glad i did. Pb in 1.21.45! Roll on FLM! 4 weeks AH
  • A few pics, The Mrs and me looking a bit knackerd at the end, like the bunny girls :)

http://staff.bath.ac.uk/ccsgtm/bath2005/bath2005.htm
  • Results are on the race website

Well done Race Director and all your willing crew
  • Excellent weekend in Bath. The plan for Suday was to be well within 1:30 and to beat last year's time if I could. Started off in the sub 100 minute zone and found myself steadily passing people around the first lap. Got to 5 miles in 32:30 and 10K in 40:40 which, although well down on PB pace I was pleased with. Found the second lap harder than expected (particularly the uphill finish). Went through 10 miles in 65:40 and got embroiled in a race between two Bath City ladies (Sarah and Tina?) going hammer and tongs - managed to get between and then ahead of them on the last hill and had a lot left in the tank for the run in to the finish. Managed a 1:26:30 (which included an enforced loo stop) - more than a minute up on last year so am reasonably pleased. A really good event yesterday - well done to the organisers and to the very many volunteers.
  • Morning folks - It was great to meet up with so many of you before and after. Especially after, as usually most people have left by the time I get in! Appointment with phizz tomorrow to get the low-down on the leg - fecking painful this morning though now that the anaesthetic has worn off.

BB - Thanks for the supportive hug - and congrats to BD, make up for last year's disappointment.

Stace - great to meet up with you and UFM. How's your shoulder and UFM's knee this morning.

LLL - I saw you finish and went to the funnel to meet up with you but couldn't find you anywhere.

Undulating - please pass big hugs to MrsU - hope she's OK. With any luck I'll see you at Frenchay. I've started a sub-group within the club - Hogweed Hobblers!

Also a big 'well done' to the organisers. I wasn't there last year but heard the horror stories. It's good to see when organisers take the comments on board and actually DO something about them. From my own perspective I would make a couple of comments - firstly, the starting time markers were in minutes as opposed to hours:minutes. I heard a lot of confused comments about this and I know from talking to some of the earlier finishers that people were definitely lining up in the wrong places. One 1:18 finisher told me he overtook several people with hooded coats who were clearly in the wrong place. On the other hand, it was almost impossible to get out of the Rec before the gun went off. Perhaps an earlier call to the start would be more appropriate next year.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Bring back the t-shirt, what use is a medal? I like to wear my t-shirt after the event with pride, but I can't wear the medal down the gym can I? At £21 to enter, they should be able to afford both and provide bottles of water at the end.

I wasn't keen on the fill your own goody bag at the end, sort out the organisation as this is a great race.
  • Agree with the comments about fill-yr-own bags. If they were so keen to get people out and away from the funnel (as they were shouting) why slow it all down by not pre-filling the bags?

Also RodgerDodge I agree with the comments about placing at the start, it was clear that many people had no idea where they should stand. A complete mix of walkers, fun-runners and racers all together where I was.

If this race continues at this scale or (presumably) gets busier then they will have to start segregating based on speed, not just when you turn up at the start.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    If they don't sort out the organisation of this one, then they will discourage people from entering again. I have dones this three times now and was witness to the fiasco of last year. They shouldn't have increased the number of runners this year until they had managed to get it right with the usual number of entries.

Don't get greedy by increasing the number of places again, sort out the problems which you had. Reading the reviews there are many people who are now saying they may not run this again. This would be a shame, but I can see where they are coming from.
  • Good Morning All who were there...
    R.D...
    My Shoulder and knee are sore this morning.
    UFM's knee proved to be a mystery. It took us nearly an hour to help her limp back to the car (after running 1:39), but by 6.00pm
    she had no sign of any thing??? What makes me mad is that she went out for a fast 5 miler with swim coach last night!

My time (would you believe it?) is exactly the same as Bristol Half last yera... to the second!
    Should have put a bet on...1:47:11
    Pleased with that although I felt it was a personal best as i think that Bath is a much tougher race than Bristol (more drag hills).

Was good to see the other Forumites just before the start for a pre race photo, I don't know who had the camera but I woud love a copy.
    Hilly...
    Both UFM and I are gutted you had to pull out and hope you are ok for the Elite line-up at FLM!
    I have never ran this race before and did think that a small bottle of water at the end would have been nice and why did one of the officials suddenly decide that no more bannanas were to be given out because too many people wanted them????
    What were they there for then?
    I must say all in all I enjoyed the event as a whole right from the " forumite meeting" right through to the "feeling like sh*t" in the pub at the end.
    Well done Bath Half If I can get in I'll deffo be back next year!
    Stace.
    {:o)¬<
  • You seem to be in the minority KB - can't understand what you're moaning about - from all I experienced and saw yesterday it was a good well organised event and most people went away happy with smiles on their faces.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Graham, if you look at the race reviews you will see that a lot of people have some compaints about this one.

Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but there was a lot which could have been done better.
  • I enjoyed the race and it appears they've sorted out the problems that occurred last year. I have a query about the provisional race times. My time is shown at 1.45.07 which was pretty much the time I crossed the line to be manually "chipped" by one of the stewards. However, I crossed the start line approx 1 min 36 after the start. I didn't run with a monitor/watch but was v. confident that I'd completed in sub 1.45. Is there a degree of error for events of this size or is just me? This is only my second half marathon.

Aidan
  • The time by my watch was 1:47:14 official time is 1:48:02

Pressed start/stop as I went under flag so pretty sure my time is correct, there was a bit of a queue before I was "chipped"
  • Thought that most/all of the organisational problems from last year were sorted out and thoroughly enjoyed the race.
    The 'fill you own bag' thing was slightly bizarre especially as my hands were too sweaty to open my bag.
    Everything else was pretty damn good; not really missing the t-shirt either since last year's version lasted all of about three washes!
    Liked the 10k markers as well!

• My time is 14 secs slower - it took me this roughly long to cross the start time - are these gun rather than chip times ?

In other races I've done using Championship Chips my times tend to be spot on (give a take a sec). Still get the impression there are probs with the armour plated race nos that Bath use..
  • My immediate thought when I saw the prov. results was that the times were based on gun to chip. The only other race I've done was Bristol last year, with Chapionship Chips, and my time was pretty much spot on (again I ran without a monitor).
  • I should have read the website before opening the results :

"Please note that in accordance with UKA Rules of Competition the official results (used for calculating prizes etc) are based on gun-to-chip times."
  • I can only guess that all of you who were happy with the organisation were in the start area and able to cross the start line within 2 minutes of the gun. That seems to be where everything went well

If like me you were one of 500 or more runners stuck on the ramp up from the rec when the gun went your experience would be very different

No chance at all of running smoothly for the first 3 miles because the speed grading of the filed was destroyed, and a pick your own goody bag method in heavy crowds that failed badly

It was a race of two halves

Still, if the half I was part of doesn't show up next year - as I won't - there will be more room for the rest of you
  • CS - you should have got your @rse into gear and onto the start line earlier - with 5 or 6 thousand runners (and a similar number of supporters) it was always going to be a major crush for any one who left it until late to leave the rec. You shouldn't blame the organisers for your own failure to get yourself organised and onto the start in time.

I was a little suprised at the goody bag system - it was working well enough when I came through but I guess was likely to have become overwhelmed later. A friend of mine who ran his heart out and finished in 1:52 didn't get a chocolate bar (and all of mine was eaten by my lady friend!) but unlike some of the people griping and whinging on here it didn't ruin his entire day - we both enjoyed the event, we both thought it was well organised - we enjoyed Bath very much and hopefully we'll be back in future years. Well done again to the organisers and to the very many volunteer helpers out around the course.
  • I think it would help if they split the competitors and the spectators out from the Rec and just funneled the runners up to the start.
  • You should have been "well organised" and packed a banana and bar of chocolate in your kit bag ;-))

Someone was asking about photographers earlier - I don't know if they were the official photographers but I did see a reference on Sporting Gallery website that they were covering the Bath Half. I've just looked and there are no links yet. I run the Longleat 10k at which they took pics and would warn you that they are pretty slow at uploading. May be worth a look in a week or so.
  • Agreed GMAC - and made it clear that the loos are for "RUNNERS ONLY!" - and one other thing I was surprised to be lapping quite so many people at the back of the field who for various reasons were finding it tough going but were showing enormous guts and determination – the effort being put in by many of the later finishers just to get round and finish no matter what was admirable.
  • Graham-l.i.t. - I don't know in part of the country you live, but on the BBC local news last night, they showed a clip of a lady runner who, literally, fell over the finish line, the stretcher bearers picked her up straddling the finish line - it was a testiment to sheer guts and determination.
  • RD- I'm down in Kent so I wouldn't have seen that - aside from all the good performances and PBs of yesterday there were a lot of unsung heroes - tried to say "Well done - keep going" to a lot of people who were clearly still finishing their first lap - have to say well done again to the organisers who were carefully shepherding some folk who looked to be at or near reaching their limit.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    A few comments.
    I entered in some trepidation after reading last year's comments but overall it well.

I thought that the whole point of having chips was to give an accurate personal time (prizes awarded on gun to chip times as per rules). If the RFD (??) chip in number cannot do this then it is a retrograde step.
    Plenty of 1st aid posts
    Was hardly worth having the empty goodybag to put a banana in.
    No water at the finish.
    Lack of bins in the athletes village.
    A seperate male and female changing tent would be better.

Only the lack of water at the finish is a really issue.

Missed the pre race meeting due to big queues at Bristol TM as 2 of the 4 fast ticket machines were out of order so i was one of the many who missed the 09.40 train.

Did 2.04 on my watch I think but managed to restart it whilst getting changed. Was ok upto 9m then had to go into walk 1 min run 4 mins mode.
    Just managed to avoid being lapped before the 5 mile mark. I have seen the leaders going the other way down the Portway in the Bristol HM but it really brought home how fast the elite runners are when they overtake you like that.
    The race has inspired me to go out and train harder to improve my 1.53.25 PB which I know that I can do if I put my mind to it.
  • 21 years after my first Bath Half, and this was my fastest race for 9 years; my only better time was ... Bath (1996), so I'm very pleased. This was my first half of the year, so I didn't really know what sort of form I was in; the next challenge is to go even faster at Paddock Wood in two weeks' time.

Oh yes, why were there energy drinks at 12.5 miles?
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    And at 0.6 as well?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm always amazed how so many people take so much pleasing!

Well done organisers for what I felt was a well organised race. Just a shame I had problems with my back and couldn't finish, but have to say the lift back to the start by SJA was much appreciated!

Thanks Stace. I'm sure a few days and I'll be full on training again!

RD, hope physio helps!
  • Hows the back now hilly?

On the local news tonight it said that bath half numbers would be doubled next year!!

I was surprised how little I ached this morning, but the aches and stiffness have got worse as the day has gone on:-(