PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Get some Radox in that bath Betty!.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It's much better thanks Zoom:) Although there's still referred pain in my legs-sciatic I think.

I think the size Bath is now is just right. Too many more runners and it might be a problem on the second lap. Unless they change the course for one bit loop.
  • ...no way the entry can be doubled with the current set-up ! Money the driver no doubt ??
  • Hello Glugg! Did you get your pint of abbeys after?! My hubby and I met my cousin and her hubby in Bristol the weekend before and I bought them a pint of abbeys then. He hasn't slept so well for months;-)
  • Having just checked the results there were 5537 finishers, and my time confirms that everything was gun to chip, as in previous years. It also says that JR LLL only took 9 seconds out of me, and that we were in the top 5%. A good result I would say.

Ratcatcher, what was your time?
  • Hello Zoom. Several pints of Abbey thank you but due to lack of training from injuries and illness I did my worst half marathon time in 20 years of running. Feeling very fed up and thinking of retiring. You flew round like a greyhound and made us all green with envy!. Well done. Where are we all meeting next year?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    blisters, I think RC did 1:25:25 and was 3rd or 4th in her age.
  • Mornin' all...
    Still feeling Sunday's jaunt in my quads.
    Just to let you Know The "Bath Chronicle" published the Gun times yesterday. That puts me 1.5 miutes slower than my watch.

Glugg...
    Don't retire, how is that going to make the rset of us feel when your worst time is our "goal Times" - No Pressure!
    Chin up. :o)
    Stace.
  • My time in the chronicle puts me the wrong side of two hours, My watch puts me the right side; I know which one I'll be using!
    The start was a bit disorganised, I ended up about 3/4 way down the field, I didn't cross the start line for 5 minutes or so, and the first mile was barley a jog there were so many people. Whilst, the spectators really made the day, I'd rather the start was a little less congested so that I didn't have to rely on the support of the crowd in order to claw back the time lost!
    Apart from that, everything was grand! I have to say that the amount of human spirit shown by my fellow runners was amazing, gives me a warm glow.
  • Monkfish,
    in any big race where there are thousands of people it is going to take time for you to cross the start line. In the Bristol Half Marathon it took some runners over 10 minutes to get past the start line.
    Apparently the chip times will be published in a day or two.
    Well done on the run though.
  • Glugg-you can't retire, I haven't managed to get to have a drink of beer with you yet;-) Just think, if it was your worst time you can only get better:-)

I did think the medal was very nice and have been very proudly showing it off to anyone who will look!!
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I hope that I haven't come across as too much of a moaner - not my intention. I would definetly do this one again.
  • Apparently the pictures will be available from to view on Thursday morning.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Any one know what the difference between place and race place is on the results page?
  • Hi,

This was my first half marathon (first race of any distance really) - it was great, seemed very well organised with water/sponges/energy drinks. Finished in 2:11 which I was pleased with. Cheers!
  • Hi Guys, A bit late to add anything constructive but this was my 4th Bath and found it a bit tough, slowest time sofar, must be all that carb loading and no running!! but still managed to get 5 seconds under 2hrs. Thanks to St Johns for the plasters on the blisters (think the Sauconys are going to be binned for a new pair of Reeboks!!)after Queens square 2nd time, but afraid after that gave up the will to live!! I wish they would resurface lower Bristol road that was a real killer for me, but overall a good experience made even better with a Guinness at the Boaters. Race Director and team deserve a bit pat on the back and a beer for a damn good job. See you all next year about 1:40 ish.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    musketeer, I wasn't thinking of any individual. I just sometimes feel sorry for the organisers. A lot of effort goes into organising races and yes I know we pay to enter and expect a service, but at the end of the day the people who lay on the races do so for free and without them where would our sport be?! So, no I'm not picking out any individual as a moaner, just a general sadness that we runners expect so much more sometimes than just running a race:O) Me included!
  • Just about recovered from the big day. The last of the marquees & toilets etc were cleared away this afternoon leaving us with just one more day of clearing/sorting rubbish & equipment left, in time to put our feet up for Easter. Thanks for your kind comments, the team have worked very hard for the last 12 months to put on a good race & learn the lessons from 2004. We had a great weekend, fantastic to see you all and get the race off on-time with no major incidents.

Still plenty of room for improvement, so all constructive feedback most welcome.
    Can I ask any of you who enjoyed the race to spend 5 mins writing to our local paper to tell them. Bath Chronicle, Windsor House, Windsor Bridge, BATH BA2 3AU or email letters@bathchron.co.uk ? They get a lot of letters from local residents complaining about rubbish, noise, parking etc and positive feedback really makes a difference to the powers that be to ensure this race will go ahead in 2006.

By the way the chip times have just been posted.
  • Thanks Race Director! And say well done to the team from me :o)
  • I've quietly emailed constructive feedback to O Boy Wonder. In general terms I would just like to say well done on a fantastic race.

I'm surprised that the local pasta houses weren't handing out advertising flyers at the finish. Just think of the demand!

Next year? Definitely.

Wind up that street party!
  • Well done RD!

Really enjoyed my weekend away and got the PB I have been chasing for 12 months. So pleased with my time.

I thought the organisation was much better this year. My only slight gripe was the chaos in the finish area - everyone milling around trying to find medals and drink etc. Still I got my chocolate and lucozade so I was happy.

Still smiling about my time and hope to be back next year!

Well done all!
  • I really enjoyed the closed roads this time. Running up Newbridge Road in previous years when cars were coming the other way was a pain.

Being able to choose where to run both up this road, then down Lower Bristol Road was well funky. Saved hurting my hips by running in the gutters.
  • WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    After starting this thread with all the intentions of running Bath in a good time, I made the decision not to run following an injury picked up at the end of January. However, tonight I made my first run - three miles over which I felt tired and breathless but pleased with my time considering the layoff. Hopefully I will see you guys again soon, though that said I did see one or two of you across the finish line.
  • Welcome back Wrinty. Lets all do it again next year.
  • WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    I can't wait that long, so I am going to try the Neolithic Half on 1st May.

Anyone else going for it?
  • Wrinty - I was but then Trinity talked me into the Great West Run in Exeter on 1st May. I'll be doing that - injury permitting. There's quite a few forumites doing it.
  • Good to see you back out running Darren.
  • WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    LLL, It feels good too. I hope that your training is going well for London and more importantly the Shaw&Whitley Stampede.
  • Shaw&Whitley Stampede, might give this a bash, I live in Melksham so not far to go. What date is it?