Running Clubs?

2»

Comments

• I am looking for someone to run with. There is no running club in Evesham, Worcs.
    When my running daughter is home it is great going out with her, but I don't find it as easy with my husband.
    I often do a 1min. walk/run, but yesterday managed 1 min walk/ 5 min run for about 2 + 3/4 miles.
  • There's nothing much near you. These are probably the closest:

Tewkesbury AC http://uk.geocities.com/tewkesburyac
    Worcester AC http://www.worcester-ac.co.uk/
    Worcester Joggers http://www.worcester-joggers.co.uk
    Bourton Road Runners http://www.bourtonroadrunners.co.uk/

Good luck.
  • im going to my first ever runners club on monday at 6 and i cant wait and the other bonus is it is only a £1 WOOHOO :-)
  • For those of you looking for a club try this: clubs
  • I am trying to find a running club in Putney anyone know of one here? I am a beginner and have not run 5 miles yet so am nervous as this seems the minimum clubs run
  • Hi Laurie

I would suggest you try Wimbledon Windmillers, who are not a million miles away from you, nice friendly club and they welcome beginners. (No I'm not a member!)
  • Thanks Johnny,
    I've read their website it is does sound good for beginners.
  • No worries, get yourself along there, it'lll be the best thing you can do for your running! (And more!)
  • I'm trying to find a running club in N / NE London. The ones in Victoria Park and Highgate are just a bit too far away. Anyone have any other suggestions. It doesn't have to be a really competitive club, just looking for something to kick me into gear and up a pace.
  • Have a look at: http://www.clubfinder.org.uk/?list

For clubs West of the River Lea look under Middlesex, East of the river is Essex.

Eton Manor & Orion migt be close.

Happy hunting.
  • Thanks John. I've scrambled through this before and they all seems to be miles away.
    Thanks anyway.
    m
  • Hi Caketin

WOW It looks like you've been on this search for ages...

I was in exactly the same position just a month or so ago and felt pretty silly at my first meeting with Chorley Harriers, they are very friendly and were kind enough to cut the run down as I'm such a beginner.

I felt great afterwards and then my ego kicked in and I will keep up running on my own until 5k becomes easy then I wont be lagging behind.

Karen :)
  • Hiya I do alot of running on the treadmill and want to join a local club in Swindon...have heard of swindon Harriers and Swindon Striders, does anyone know if they are friendly???
  • I joined a cub on Tuesday in my local (ish) area reccommended by FLM and its great. Did about 7 miles at a harder, faster pace than I've done before and enjoyed it. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and I didn't feel I was holding anyone back. (Well not too much anyway). Tonight is hill training which I've never tried, so could be interesting. The good thing about this club is that they meet 4 times a week and I may have met a potential running partner! How lucky is that!?
  • Hello. Does anyone know of a beginner friendly club in the Dorchester (Dorset) area? I've been running, well jogging mostly, since Christmas night 06 (I actually lost weight over the christmas/new year period how chuffed was I?!). Some of my friends from work are in local clubs but they are all way above my standard, one of them has just done the Bath half marathon in 2 hours 3 minutes. I am a very self concious person and don't want to turn up and find I'm the only lumpy slug in a group of atheletes. Thanks for your help.
  • Hello. Does anyone know of a running club in Fulham/ SW London that welcomes beginners? I Have done a couple of 5k races, am booked on to a 10k and 6k in July and have rather stupidly signed myself up for GNR in Oct. I am getting a little scared now and could do with some help! Many thanks.
  • Hi

I am just getting into running and really enjoying it. Does anyone know of any clubs near me, Lichfield, staffordshire or even birmingham?

thanks

• I joined a running club a few weeks ago, it is fantastic! They have a slow walk group, a quick walk group, a run/walk group, then you have the various running groups, slow, steady fast etc. They really do cater for all abilities. I get to go on runs through the woods & off road, which i wouldn't do on my own. They are really friendly. i can't recommend joining one enough. Although you will need to check each club out to make sure they do cater for your levelimage

Jen-jenx

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Hi Jen Jen - did you join Phoenix Striders after all?

How is it going?

• Hi grendal- Yes, it is going well thank youimage I wish i could make more of the runs they have on, but hoping i'll be able to juggle things at home to get to a few more when i can.

Jen-jen x

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good luck - I'm glad you are enjoying it

• Hi everyone,

I'm sooo tempted to join a club, but I am also pretty nervous as I am a green as a bean when it comes to running!  (Running for less than a week, still at the walk-run-walk-run stage!).  I don't know if I should pluck up courage and go and see a club, or wait until I'm a more seasoned runner and maybe have more confidence in myself before I do so. 

My local club, from what I have gathered, I think is Bexley Athletic Club (on the net as Bexleyac.co.uk.)  Anyone else joined this club?  What do they think?  Sorry to be so specific!  I don't know if I'm out of order asking this...tell me if I am!

It's reassuring to read such positive experiences about clubs.

• Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know any good running clubs in Loughton in Essex or in London that is beginner friendly?, Im trying to train for London Mararthon and Edinburgh Marathon 2009.

• HELLO

I have recently moved to a new area to be near my family as i have been very unwell - running helped me with my recovery. i wanted to meet new people in my area so i joined the local running club GYRR in Great Yarmouth. I was worried that they all would be super runners (im a sort of medium speed runner- latest 10k time was 55 m) but there were runners of all abilities and they all made me feel really welcome. the clubs 10k was on 25/10 (where i run 55mins) and all the club members were very supportive and cheering me on (they marshalled) and they were very complimentry about my time (new PB) I also run the weekly park runs because they got me involved. I have only been a member of the club for about 3 weeks but its great - i would recomend GYRR but i believe most c lubs are just as friendly - they help with training and we also have a good general chat. Thankyou GYRR. nettybunny

• In central London you can join www.cityrunnersclub.co.uk and it's free!
  • I am hoping to join one in the near future.  The ones I looked at in my area all seem to meet on a Wednesday Evening which is no good for me but I think I have found one now at Birmingham uni.
  • Kings Heath Running Club is a newly formed, sociable club, set up as an alternative to the formal, competitive clubs in the area. We focus on running together, working with complete beginners and sharing running enthusiasm at whatever level.

see www.kingsheathrunningclub.org.uk