Metal fatigue

As the disappointment of the Ballot Looms I sought to comfort myself by looking at my 2002 LFM Medal. Shock horrer the darn thing is discoloured and corroding away. Is this just a freak occurance or have others had this problem. Is there anything I can do to remove the tarnish and discolouring. Can I get a replacement medal from LFM if I contact them?

Peter

Comments

• My 2000 medal has been hangin gon the wall since then and I haven't noticed any problems.
  • My 2000 medal is discoloured, and has a green blob of corrosion, but I always put it down to the amount of sweat I got on it wearing it for 3-4 hours after the race, which I never wiped off. I haven't tried to clean it, as I suspect it's painted rather than all-the-way-through metal, but you could try someting no too strong, like washing up liquid solution, and see if it works. I doubt you could get a replacement, but it's worth a try.

• Like Nessie, i put mine away as soon as i arrived home without wiping off the sweat and there's a blob of corrosion on it. I used an old toothbrush and toothpaste to clean it up, then dried it before putting it in a frame that i purchased on the cheap.
  • I'll get the Colgate out tonight and give it a go.

Thanks, Peter
  • Tooth paste didnt work so I adopted the brute force approach of a couple of emery boards, which has ground off the discolouration and left me with a shiny if scratched medal but at least it is now readable.