Options

Laser eye surgery

Anyone thinking of having Laser Eye surgery, or had it done, there is an interesting article in the Daily Mail today!

:o)

Comments

• Options
    Not the Daily Mail ! Scaremongering hacks they are.

Although the MMR jabs have been re-checked and looked at again and found to have no adverse affect - their scare campaign has dropped the uptake of the vaccine significantly. To an extent where children are at serious risk. Good work Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Haven't read the article, but I had the 'zap and flap' done 5 years' ago and went back on specs last year (although my prescription is not as bad as previously).

Had no big problems (except eyes are a bit drier than usual and it isn't permanent)

I have read articles that say it is permanent. It isn't. I know of a few people who are back on specs. Not a big problem, I had a good few years free of my bits of glass and plastic.

Could be my job that aggravates things (am a computer code monkey type). Would still recommend it to people...

• Options
    I had wavefront technology 18 months ago. Absolutely brilliant and my eyesight is 20/20 in my bad eye (was +6.5 with double astigmatism).

I'd recommend it to anyone. Need reading glasses but that's inevitable with the onset of old age anyway!
  • Options
    zap and flap - eurgh!! Doesn't that sound horrible!!

I haven't read the article yet - but I will now, I was aiming to have it done next year, although I'm reconsidering now ... I always thought it was permanent.
  • Options
    PP, I had it done in July of this year, and have had no problems at all. I was sensitive to the artificial tears, but that was a personal thing not surgery related.

• Options
    Hmm - I don't know what to do now!! Do I have it done and have a few years (worst case) off of specs and lenses or not have it done and carry on with goggles and glass.

decisions decisions!!
  • Options
    Would depend on age I think. As we..er..mature, we apparently can become far sighted, so your eyes do change. I wear contacts for running, glasses for driving and then read 'bare-eyed' (had to be very careful writing that one)

Personal preference would have been to never worry about specs until I had to read because most things I enjoy doing are activities where I need help in spotting objects further away from me. If I run without lenses I wave and grin at everyone who hoots in case they are mates of mine seeing me out running...but sometimes I think I am just waving at half blind truckies!
  • Options
    PP...even if you end up needing specs for reading (which most of us will with age) the benefit of not wearing them at other times must out weigh the inconvenience?

Its brilliant to wake in the morning and not have to find your glasses..
    I had my first run without glasses in the rain this week, was pure luxury!!!

:o)
  • Options
    So what does this cost?
  • Options
    It varies a lot, I had mine done with Boots, it cost me £1999 for both eyes. This was Lasik surgery not Lasek, which is cheaper.
  • Options
    I was thinking of having mine done at Boots, but apparently they're stopping it soon (probably just before I get the spondoolicks to pay for it!!!).
  • Options
    PP I went to them for a number of reasons, one being the price included any after treatments that may be necessary for the following 2 years.....
    Don't know where that stands now, I have my 3 month check up in a couple of weeks, so guess all will be revealed then.
    I am still very happy with the treatment that I received, the staff were excellent, and my vision is now better than 20/20. Previously I was -3.25 and -2.75.
  • Options
    That's fantastic tiggs. Mine are -4.5 both the same. I'm totally blind as a bucket without my goggles or lenses so I really do want them done, but I haven't bothered looking too seriously into it - primarily because I don't have the wonga yet to pay. But I was aiming to get them done next year.
  • Options
    I was the same, didn't look until I had the spondooleys! They do however do the old interest free too.....
  • Options
    Hmm - I didn't know that, there's a thought ...
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Had mine done 10 days ago. So far the results are superb. Could see well enough to drive legally after 4 days, and at the Stonehenge Stomp last Sunday could see Stonehenge without glasses or conacts.

Time will tell if the long term results are OK....
  • Options
    Mak .... congratulations!! Its pure luxury isn't it? I am 6 months down the road now and don't regret having the surgery at all. Just wait until you run in the rain next.....bliss!!!! LOL
  • Options
    LOL Tigg - I know exactly where you're coming from with the running in the rain - isn't it fantastic. The other thing is going into a shop when it's been raining - no steaming up!! I have never looked back and thank my lucky stars regularly that I finally plucked up courage to take the plunge.

Does need very careful research and consideration though - to get the treatment that's right for you.

• Options
    It's possible to buy a weekend break to a country that has lower costs but a good optical service. I saw such a package tour advertised in my local paper (in Norway) recently for the equivalent of about £1450 for both eyes
  • Options
    I had mine done at ultralase in september last year. Totally life changing, never thought I'd enjoy running in the rain quite as much as I do now!
  • Options
    i agree with tara - absolutely life changing. its nearly 4 years since i had mine done - at the Eye Clinic in newcastle upon tyne - and the results have, touch wood, been amazing!
    from -5.25 both eyes to better than 20/20 both eyes, still going strong. no dryness. only problem for first few months was problems driving in the dark due to haloes, but even that is better now. i can thoroughly recommend it from my point of view. i was 25 when i had it done, so accept that i will get more longsighted with age - but if that means a few years of mist-free running, not to mention scuba diving, then its got to be worth it!
    i paid £2000, both eyes at the same time, lasik. pain free, interest free credit, all paid up!
  • Options
    Someone at work just had this done and yes, he looks really different, quite a change and all that...

BUT...

it sounds horrendous: flaps being cut in your eyes while you're awake? It's not the lasering bit that worries me, just the thought of someone cutting my eyes with a knife.

How did you folks manage to hold yourself still? It's bad enough having the optician drop a contact lens into your eye or do that puff of air thing in the eye test. But knives and eyes?

So how do you prepare yourself for that?
  • Options
    aaahhh the blissful unawareness that is created by diazepam!
    at my clinic they drugged me up and had 2 handsome male nurses holding my hands. then basically put local anaesthetic into my eyes, told me to look at a light for 20 secs, and, well, that was that! no pain, no nothing. no awareness of any cutting.
    the major trauma was having to go out onto the main shopping street at 3pm on a saturday afternoon with 2 enormous plastic plates stuck to my face... the humiliation!
  • Options
    Ah, so it wasn't just a local in the eyes then? They give you stuff to make you feel all 'loved up' beforehand?

Hmm, maybe not so bad. (My eyes are something like -7.0 each. Does eyesight get any worse than that?)

My prob is I've had "minor" surgery under a local before (a vasectomy - but that's a whole other story: I must write a thread on it one day) and it was THE most hideous experience of my life.
  • Options
    if you read the Daily Mail, don't you deserve to have laser beams fired in your eyes??

ps - watch out, some illegal immigrants are probably making the value of YOUR house go down right now!!
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    My eyes were only -3.0 so I had just the laser treatment, and not the lasik with the cutting and all that.

No tranquilisers, and just anesthetic drops during the procedure. Seemed OK at the time, but I have to say once the local wears off the next 24 hours are VERY uncomfortable.

But even only 10 days later I would go through it all again.

Don't get me started on my vasectomy, its worthy of a thread of its own. Attractive female doctor fondling my nether regions. It seemed OK til she couldn't find a tube to snip.......
  • Options
    had my eyes done two years ago, lasik, no problems since, cost £990 for both eyes, optimax in london.
  • Options
    July 2003 - Local anaesthetic (how do you spell that??) in the eyes and no problem. Discomfort for several hours afterwards but comparable to getting grit in the eyes. Didn't feel the cutting at all but didn't like the smell of burning when they lasered!

+4.75 and +6.25 with double astigmatism. Accuvision in London. Bloody good place and very thorough. Due to complicated prescription had to have Wavefront Technology but i'm proof that it works on longsighted too.
  • Options
    Let me see if I've got this right.

There are two types of treatment:

Lasik: more expensive, involves eyeball slicing

Lasek: cheaper, no cutting involved

Does the slicing method get better/more long lasting results? (Otherwise can't imagine why anyone would have it done.)
  • Options
    I had eye surgery last March at Ultralase in Chelmsford. The were great and I only wish i had done it years ago. As for the slicing...get that out of your head. Yes they do peel back the thin layer over the eye to administer the surgery but its all done by machine and you feeel nothing and it takes only a few mins for each eye. I was in and out of the surgery withing 10/15 mins.
    So don't be nervous or worried....just do it. (Hope Nike don't sue me for using their slogan)