Osteopath or Physio

A bit of advice. I've done something to my right knee from running. Being a bit of a Tight Scots Git I'm hesitant about where to go for help. Some sporty friends suggest a Sports Physio while another (this one an very serious ex-runner) suggests an Osteopath to help re-align me.

I don't fancy forking out twice so I was wondering which option you would suggest is best




  • Think it depends whether you are suffering from a isolated knee problem or a spinal condition.
    I have a back complaint which causes all kinds of injuries to occur in my right leg.
    Different physios can tend favour certain types of treatment.A particular physio I have used was a bit of a 'bone cruncher',whereas another prefered gentler massage and heat treatments.
    I would suggest going to a physio first to get a diagnosis and leaving the osteopath for a later time if things don't improve.
  • Cheers Danny

    The Runner I know suggetsed my hips may be out of alignment which could cause the knee injury as it only ever appears with my Right Knee (hence why the suggested Osteopath).

    But I reckon you're right and I'll give the physio a go first for a general diagnosis.

    Thanks again

  • JezJez ✭✭✭
    Martin, I would also suggest physio first. Have a back problem which causes problems in back, hips and left leg and although I've tried osteopath and chiropractor, I should have stuck with the physio - guess until I tried the others I didn't realise how good the physio was. Recovery from most injuries seem to involve some treatment, but mostly stretching and strengthening exercises - and in my experience (not that I'm an authority of course) the physio is good at diagnosing the problem and setting the schedule for recovery. Good luck.

Sign In or Register to comment.