What do you all think of Fat Nation?

The BBC seems to think we're a nation of couch potato lardies and we need a pedometer and calorie counter to log our exercise to the chip shop. What do all you runners out there reckon?

Buttock crunches anyone?

Comments

• If a woman says to me "does my bum look big in this", I naturally respond with
    "go for a ten mile run and ask me when you get back"
  • Or at least that's what I'd do if I had the courage to
  • Sorry, a bit off topic. I dont have a TV, so I cant really comment
  • Lot of rubbish. Tell the silly sods not to eat so much..end of conversation.
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    I watched the one last week - it's sort of aimed at quite a low level and just gives out quite basic information.

However, even the smallest of changes to a persons eating or lifestyle can and do make a difference. So I guess if it influences even one person, then it's worth it in the end.

I'm hoping they show a lot more about the psychology behind weight issues because I think that's where a lot more work could be done anyway.

People think they're on their own with their issues but usually, there's thousands of others that have similar problems and they never realise that just by talking about it, they can get over it and move on.

• Er... isn't that what the BBC is trying to do Gillian?

I think this series is dull, worthy and will fail because a few programmes cannot compete with the might of the global food industry which chucks so many empty calories at ignorant people.
  • I think they've wasted what would have been an excellent opportunity.

I agree with Voodoo, unless its just edited badly, it seems to be pretty basic. And also, if you are seriously overweight how will "butt crunches" help?

Instead of giving the nation valuable nutritional advice they're saying "don't have takeaway 7 days a week" well doh! Everybody knows the basic rules for healthy diet and exercise - the fact that they are not doing it needs to be looked at.

Rant over :-)
  • But that's the thing, there are a lot of people who eat takeaway 7 nights a week, and lump their kids off to school with 3 packets of crisps.
    Unfortunately, these are the people who really need the help, and the rest of us who know the basics get frustrated at the level of intelligence of the show
    And butt crunches are a stooopid idea
  • 2trenches - I totally agree it is frustrating but if you were to ask any one of these "takeaway every night" people do they know that it is unhealthy if they were being truthful every one of them would say "yes". Maybe showing them what it actually does to your body inside and out might make more of a difference.

• I agree. However, some are too stoopid to know what to do instead.

Or too lazy.
  • Unfortunately troo.
    Some people just can't be arsed to cook a real meal for the sake of their children, or don't have the knowledge of how to.
    Bring back compulsory home ec classes.
    And maybe rationing of crappy foods too.
    That'd sort it.
  • I'd be able to sell my junk food vouchers on ebayfor a mint
  • Good on the beeb for trying to do something about the 'growing' population.

Hopefully this is just the start of it and can get some people thinking. As Voodoo says, it is aimed at a very low level in order to not put people off having a go. It is for those who consider a 10min walk to the shops too much and pick up the car keys instead.

If the beeb wants to use it's influence to change the way a nation thinks about exercise and eating healthily, I'm all for it. It's kinda scary looking around at some of the kids these days.

... and remember, butt crunches are better than staying seated on the couch.
  • I don't believe that people who are overweight are necessarily lazy Waapster. (yea okay - I am oveweight) uneducated in nutrition maybe but it only takes a small amount of extra calories per day that over a year can make someone a stone heavier.
    and the butt crunches - it showing people that they don't have to go to a gym or do fancy exercies to get fit/lose weight
  • As an ex lardy person myself, I can say that the key is to find a form of exercise you enjoy.

I think schools should concentrate on introducing kids to as many diffeent forms of exercise as possible.

There also needs to be more education on healthy food options.
  • Shouldn't they be trying to get people to do forms of exercise they are likely stick at. How long are they going to keep doing butt crunches for? I'm sure that is going to get very boring, very quickly.

• I haven't seen much of this but someone told me they would be 'following' these people for a year. Is that true?
  • actually i think its quite good from a health education for the general public of viewpoint of view - obviously everybody on this site runs for at least 30mins every day, has a nutritionally sound diet, and is the right weight so doesnt need it ??

i thought that a lot of the people in the programme were not massively overweight but presented with the sort of issues that most people would identify with - not enough physical activity and diets with room for improvement

if its encouraging people to make small manageable and sustainable changes to their lifestyle and diet over a the period of a year than it is considerably better than peddling quick fixes and may have some impact on peoples health
  • Get a big angry dog to chase them. That'd get the fatties running. Especially if you gave them a string of sausages. Dogs love sausages in cartoons - so it must be true.
  • ive only seen the first one
    i hate miss Chiplash---too OTT
    BUT

the cahnges she suggseted to diet seemed ok
  • nah theres plenty of runners for dogs to chase already

running isnt the answer for everybody strangely

• I think it's a good idea, only seen little bits of it but if it helps motivate people to lose weight that's a good thing. There is a problem in the UK and it's got much more noticeable in the last 20 years. Look at teenagers today (or tomorrow as its late now) and it's quite frightening how much weight they tend to carry.
  • Seriously though. My mums overweight and if we go out for a meal she always finishes her entire meal and has a desert. Shes 5 feet 5 and these restaurant portions are designed to fill up a large man. They do reckon that lots of women put on weight after marriage and I doubt that it is simply down to no longer caring cos they've snagged themselves a husband.
  • I thought it was mainly women more than men that put on weight but when I said so on another thread someone else thought it was more men. Maybe I'm just looking at more women I don't know.
  • i think its a consequence of a lot of things - including getting older so be careful it could happen to you !

the biggest changes are in lifestyle - much less physical activity - cars have replaced walking and cycling as the main mode of transport,
    there is less manual work as a result of domestic appliances, more affluence means more choice of food, growth of eating out (and in) as a leisure activity not simply for sustenence and more convenience food and availability at the big supermarkets
  • I lost half a stone once just by not drinking beer. Being drunk makes you hungry so you increase your calorie intake in two ways and youre not even hungry!
  • All of which can be solved by running Buney:-)