What do you all think of Fat Nation?

Comments

• but not everybody likes or wants to run BR - theres plenty of other recreational physical activity that would help people become less sedentary - walking for one

and some people have health problems or disabilities that mean that cant run

i know its seems strange to runners but there are lots of people who dont enjoy it
  • I know! Its just bloody amazing, isn't it!
    I'm not very good at running but at least I have a go. I get really annoyed when Im out and some lard arse roles down their window and makes some shitty comment. I'm fit enough now to be able to shout f**k off and keep running at the same time now. Now thats what I call progress!
  • lol well done Phaedra

id rather we were encouraging everybody to be more active by finding something that they enjoy and will be able carry on longterm - whether that is running, walking, cycling, swimming, going to the gym, dancing, playing teamsports or anything else that gets them moving

its less important what people do but that they do something to keep themselves active and healthy
  • I reckon trampolining is the way forward. Too old to get away with it now. But when Im rich enough Im getting a house with high ceilings so noone can see me make a complete tit of myself.
    Either that or a bouncy castle.....
  • Possibly. Does anyone remeber the computer game James Pond? There was a Jelly level and you had to bounce around for the whole level - that would be brilliant!
  • agree totally with buney comment

"good from a health education for the general public of viewpoint"

it is obvious pitched to as wide an audience as possible with the aim of drawing in the people most in need of help and advice on this

inevitably means that for some of us, some of the prog will seem pedestrian and silly, but that doesn't make it bad in my book
  • I'm not from the UK, but have been there on holiday some weeks ago. Some things that are different from Belgium (people over here are also getting fatter):

1. I've never seen so much food where you just have to add boiling water, to make it eatable.

2. I've never seen a store with so much conveneance food. It was hard to find the basics, to cook normally (very small supermarkets, with nearly no fresh vegetables/fruit and no fresh bread).

3. Most restaurants are just more expensive then fast food places, but serve nearly the same food, with just a little more taste.

4. In Belgium you have fast food places, but not that many as in the UK.
  • Caught about 10 mins of this last night after having got back from club run.

THis chiplash woman said she had done 1200 steps in 24 mins of cooking a curry. No idea how she did that as all you do is stand there.

As a comparison I did around (I think) 8000 steps in a 6 1/2 mile run.

• yes but you choose to run and you can ( are physically able to etc)

we currently working with a guy at work who is struggling to walk for more than 15 mins because of health problems - giving him a pedometre and saying try to do another 100 or so steps a day until you can manage 500 or a 1000 etc is much more encouraging and achievable to him than saying 'go out and do 10,000 steps today'

the steps things is to try and encourage people to become more active throughout the day by doing more walking - after all not much point going out for a 10 mile run once a week then just sitting around the rest of the time - most people need small achievable and sustainable targets to get them more physically active
  • Might be abit late to join this discussion and I haven't seen the programme but this is an issue for most of the 'civilized world' for want of a better description. There are more fat people out there than ever before...

IMHO, that is largely down to people not knowing or not being arsed to check what it is they are actually putting in their mouth...

Have you ever read the ingredients list for a pork pie???

It actually lists pork fat and LARD ffs!!!

Now, I used to like eating pork pies...on the odd occasion but I wouldn't go near one now.

This stuff is about educating parents wgo, in turn educate their children...schools laso need to play their part and stop offering chips and pizza every day at schoool...

Exercise or just any activity such as walking to the shops or to school or even to the bloody pub would help and need to re-introduced and encouraged...

It is too easy these days to each junk...there's more of it about, it's cheap and it's convenient...

Food manufacturers have a lot to answer for but in the end it is also about personal responsibility...

Phew....rant over.....

• When they start this prog they said that they had chosed this particular street as it had a good cross section of society, so how comes there are no runners then?

Can't all be chuffers can they?
  • I'm with you H-G. The problem is that these messages are presented as a 'cure', which is way too simplistic and implies that once you're 'cured' you can go back as you were before. The fact that diet/exercise regimes are so prescriptive and rigid only adds to this. Being 'healthy' requires a holistic approach, and I don't think people focus on that enough.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I live on the High Street of a small Lincolnshire market town with a population of about 15,000. Within a radius of 150 yards were have the following food outlets:

Three fish and chip shops
    A Chinese Restaurant (and takeaway)
    Four more chinese takeaways
    An Indian Restaurant (and takeaway)
    Planning permission for another Indian restaurent
    A Thai restaurant (and takeaway)
    A Kebab shop
    A pizza shop

On the other hand there are no greengrocers (and this is Lincolnshire the fruit and veg capital of the UK!!!) - 10 years ago there were three, no bakers - 5 years ago there were two, no fishmongers - one of the fish and chip shops used to sell wet fish, but not any more.

We've got a nice big Tesco with lots of ready meals and jars of cooking sauces.

And I wonder why everybody round here is so overweight!!!!!!
  • A 'costly solution' because, staggeringly, buying raw ingredients for a healthy diet is far more expensive than buying mangled, reduced, processed, fat-free, vitamins re-added, along with preservatives, and salt, garbage!
    Makes me furious. I have sympathy for parents on a low budget when they have this cheap carp advertised and marketed to them. It's expensive to eat well and healthily and that's a fundamental issue that noone seems willing to tackle. [furious growls of anger]
  • I disagree - its far cheaper to buy potatoes and fry them yourself than to go to the chip shop ;oP

Actually, seriously I think its cheaper to buy ingredients than packaged stuff but we are definitely lazier (sp?) nowadays.

Yeah there are loads of takeaway places but it doesn't mean we have to go in them - its a choice we make (I do too) but its not compulsory and Tesco's do have fruit n veg, etc. We're a nation who wants everything the quick and easy way and that includes health and fitness.

<rant over> :-)
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    anyone interested in this topic should read 'not on the label' (cant remember who its by, Felicity someone), its brilliant but also depressing what the supermarket industry has done to our food choices.
    I work in Germany and the amount of fresh (and locally sourced) products are amazing compared to the UK.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Not on the label - Felicity Lawrence
  • Buney,

My point was that 10 000 steps is a lot.

I was amazed that she did 1200 cooking dinner.

I think it was a lie
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    If you want to read a real eye openner on the influence of Supermarkets try "Shopped - The shocking power of British supermarkets" by Joanna Blythman.
  • Well, I know that to get '5-a-day' for two people, fresh and some frozen, and some dried, costs me about 15 quid a week. Compared to the 'mums who go to Iceland' who are encouraged to buy a job lot of frozen fast/junk food for a fiver. I'm not blaming the mums, frankly, I'm blaming the industry.
  • 10,000 steps is about 6miles -its part of a current campaign to increase peoples daily physical activity - and perhaps a bit optimistic - the other health promotion meassge is to aim to walk for 30mins a day which is about 1 1/2 - 2 miles a day as it has proven health benefits along with the 'fitness' message that a minimum of 20 minutes aerobic exercise 3 times a week is the target for fitness

interestingly i read somewhere this week (and i havent got the reference here) that 200 minutes exercise a week is the most benficial target - above that there is little discernible increase in health benefits or developing fitness

• frozen veg is ok - not as good as very fresh - but better than tinned and better than old ( and cheap ) fresh veg

i still think that is a difficult juggling act for working mums/dads to feed a family healthily and cheaply and to find time to do that and be physically active in todays culture

i know that plenty of people do manage it of course but i bet there are plenty of people who find the convenience of supermarkets and processed foods a boon in busy lifestyles

• I watched this for the first time last night. Thought it was a bit on the extreme side.

There was a fairly fit looking bloke (a house husband with 6 kids), who was getting it in the neck for eating biscuits!!

Does it matter if it has no discernible negative effects? Or am I just looking for an excuse to carry on with my daily chocolate intake?

A little bit of what you fancy is ok isn't it? As long as overall you eat well, aren't overweight, get exercise, cholesterol and BP is ok.................
  • Exactly! These programmes seem to think that people only eat junk food (cakes biscuits etc) in addition to their daily calorie intake. The usual "if you eat two chocolate biscuits thats blah blah stones in a year".

Did you see the breakfast that dietician cooked last night - 700 calories!
  • There was a programme on the other day (I think it was Trevor McDonald) where they were trying to teach kids how to have a healthier diet. One of the boys was shocked to find that he was actually consuming 165 teaspoons of sugar in a day through all of the sweets, etc. When apparently the recommended maximum is 12!! I think that's the sort of education we all need. Not "chips" are bad "veg" is good - we all know that but if we were given more detailed information I think it would be easier for us to make the right choices - most of the time!
  • but breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day and out of a daily intake of about 2000 cals ( an average for a moderately active woman) thats only a 1/3rd ?

the problem is with the amount of high cal high fat/high sugar snacks that people eat bewteen meals - if those meals are high fat and high cal too its easy to start overeating and gain weight quite unwittingly and its about re-educating people( or in some case educating for the first time) about what they put in their mouths

i think generally the BBC is having a go at giving people some fairly well grounded and current health education material and encouraging people to make changes and become healthier