What do you all think of Fat Nation?

13»

Comments

• And the guy who went to the Festival, and ate a bag of chips. At about £4 a bag! The dietician was so disappointed in him she made him do press-ups!

Well I doubt very much he went over his daily calorie allowance at that price!! You've got to eat something!
  • I have 2 fast food meals a week:

- once a kebab with chips

- and once chips with a burger (yes in Belgium you buy chips with something extra, not a burger with some miserable small portion of chips).

The other days I cook (mostly fish, sometimes chicken or pita).I've been eating like this for 2 years (because of meeting my bf).

Before this, I ate less fast food a week, but a I ate lots on a day. Even if it was healthy. The portions were to big. I had cut down already a bit and had lost 10 lbs. But I nearly didn't move. After meeting my bf, I started moving more (walking instead of biking). Eating smaller portions, but not more healthy (lost nearly 20lbs like this).

So it's about how big portions are and how much you move. I've been on this weight for one and a half years.

• Hmmmmn Belgium Fries! To die for! Now I would be a chuffer on those but a happy chuffer!
  • I haven't seen this programme and haven't read all threads on this forum so sorry if am repeating whats been said but this issue about a nation of fatties really riles me I think we should be doing more in schools to educate kids on healthy eating and EXERCISING in my childrens primary svchool they do 1/2 games!! each week, children are so used to sitting in front of tvs with a bag of crisps, I see so many overweight children walking about it is so sad, something needs to be done, they are all getting lazy, and it should be down to us parents to make sport and exercise an everyday occurence. Thank you rant over .
  • Yes, I agree with BB. Exersize is definitely the answer. I would recommend throw away the diet books and scales, and take up aerobic exersize. I lost two and a half stones, by using this method. (Weighed for health check for new job) following years of yo-yo dieting. I've never looked back, and even when pregnant stayed lighter than when I was fat!
  • But surely we can't lay all the blame at other people/industries. Shouldn't we take responsibility for our own lives and our childrens lives?

I'm not saying its easy, but its not impossible. It takes a lot of commitment to get healthy/fit/lose weight.

I personally know when I eat a Mars Bar that it would be better to eat a banana but sometimes I feel like a Mars Bar = my choice (informed one at that!)

:-)
  • Do, however agree with kids and sports at school. I'm shocked to hear they do so little, back in my day we were doing 4 hours a week.
  • Heard on the radio the other day that children today are basically being raised a battery kids, basically up to the age of 10 or 11 they have no freedom to roam more than 100 yards from their own front door. I remember when I was a child I wandered far and wide throughout my own village and often walked over a mile to my grans. And went for picnics in the fields around the village.

I don't think some children are allowed to enjoy the outdoors as much as I did as a child and I think this is a shame.

Fat Nation as a program is trying to education, but far too basic for me.
  • I agree Hoose that all sorts of things influence our decisions in life. It just sounds like a cop-out (sp?) when people blame other factors rather than their own choices in life. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, busy parents, etc. But having said that both my parents worked very hard and had little spare time but I don't recall ever eating a packaged meal up until I was probably a late teen when it was my choice. I think society is different now too.
  • As regards kids and exercise 99% of it is down to the parents rather than the schools. I can't recall having PE in infants and juniors, I'm sure we did do something but it couldn't have been much - even in secondary school we didn't do much. However we played physical games every break time and dinner time, would go out on our bikes in the evening and when we were old enough go down the rec to play football - we'd do that most Summer nights. At home I was one of 5 boys and we'd play football in the garden and when we had to go to bed we'd play it in the bedroom using the beds as goals. I do remember getting a vic20 computer when I was about 14 and from then on we'd spend quite a lot of time playing computer games. I have friends now that have bought playstations for their 4 year olds - crazy.
  • I agree with you all I have 3 kids the eldest does own a playstation but I think everything in moderation they watch tv again in moderation I am also lucky that I live in a small village and I let my kids age 8 play out in the fields etc, but as for sport unless I take them to gymnastics, tennis, cubs, football swimming then they simply do not do it. Everything in moderation is my advise.
  • Definitely agree about computer games. We didn't do P.E at primary school either but did play rounders everyday at break and lunch times and went out on our bikes after school until it got dark. Swapping all of that for sitting indoors playing computer games would make a big difference to your calorie expenditure.

I think HG is right too about diets and exercise being made to sound like torture. Even the fact that woman is called Miss Chiplash and the exercise woman is a bit of a nutcase. I know not everyone wants to run but I think the nice thing about running (and I would have thought a lot of other sports) is it can be a social thing and just a nice way of life. Doing a race or a long Sunday run at the weekend is something I really look forward too. It's a chance to meet friends and you can feel smug and relax for the rest of the day afterwards. Surely this is the sort of thing they should be emphasising.

Also people should realise that there is nothing wrong with going on a diet its just that you don't ever finish it. It's not something that has an end date. I know thats why people talk about healthy eating instead of dieting but I sometimes think that dieting is now so frowned upon that people just use 'diets don't work' as an excuse not to lose weight. Diets do work but only if you stick to them.

This seems to have turned into a bit of a rant too. Sorry!
  • Buney, you stated...

"the biggest changes are in lifestyle - much less physical activity - cars have replaced walking and cycling as the main mode of transport,
    there is less manual work as a result of domestic appliances, more affluence means more choice of food, growth of eating out (and in) as a leisure activity not simply for sustenence and more convenience food and availability at the big supermarkets"

To which I replied that running would solve these. Now I agree there are people who are too ill to run but I still maintain running / walking is a solution to these issues.

We have a car, non-manual jobs, are affluent, like eating out and takeaways and shop at big supermarkets. We have many domestic appliances. But neither of us are fat because we exercise in proportion to what we consume and to make up for the calories not burned doing physical / house work.
  • sorry to go backwards in thread but i agree with the point that gumps made regarding 10000 steps

it's quite alot to accumulate and you won't do it in the ordinary course of the day unless you intentionally go for a walk or run imho

i think the idea of steps as a target is a good one but the reliability of the cheap pedometers maybe a bit suspect - perhaps that was giving a false reading for the curry lady 1200 steps?

a while back there was an interesting page where several mp's had to report for a week or so there pedometer counts - also with a 10 000 step target

most of them found it very difficult to do

you can read about it here

http://www.move4health.org.uk/MP%20diary.html

in the run up to that , they tested various pedometers and found that the only one worth using was an item retailing at 20 quid

i wonder what they are sending out in the 3.99 fat nation pack?

anyhow , though there are obvious flaws in the programme and how it's reported by the presenters (mainly live so higher than usual bullsh*t factor)
    but that is all just pedantic detail in the scheme of things

i still think it's a good way to try and motivate people and at least they have a sense of how far they need to go - if say they clock up 5000 steps then they can be proud in a way and yet also realise how much more is required of them

when i say they
    of course i mean me too - i'm still very overweight and don't run as much as i should/would like to

i've sent off my 3.99 for the pack out of curiousity and to see if the pedometer really works

• Eldest son bought one. It has a clicker that jerks up and down when you move up and down. I don't know how hard you work if you sit in a chair and bounce, but that would come up as a step on these cheap pedometers.
    His is supposed to show the distance travelled as well, but with our local hills accuracy would be very iffy.
    He liked the idea, because it comes up with something tangible. I prefer timing my run, or measuring it on a map. I think that that is more of an accurate measurement of energy used. Each to his/her own, and it doesn't really matter in the end.