Treadmill lovers anyone?

2»

Comments

• Swerve

I'm dead impressed, my brain struggled to compute that one

does that mean you agree

Doylie
  • Doylie - um... probably!

Mind you, there's all the psychological stuff to add in too - I like treadies (and, like you, I often do a speed sesh on one), but no way could I push as hard on a tready over 10K as I do in a race. And some people get psyched out by the stationary surroundings and pretty much forget how to run at all.

All very, very complicated!
  • Oh, very good Swerve!

I figured out that I'd have to go over 19kph before my 2% isn't enough compensation according to that table. No chance whatsoever. Not that the treadmill can do it anyway.
  • Fair comment mate

However, really you only want to run to ehaustion (if at all) during a race. Training runs are exactly that and a treadmill can be (once you get used to how to use it!) a good way of pushing hard without reaching exhaustion.

I think we seem to be agreeing, that they are a good tool but with limitations.

Doylie
  • Interestingly enough there's a piece about treadmills in the latest issue...
  • Good how RW is ahead of the game

Rob are we talking complete nonsense or does some of this make sense. (Have you seen the link that Jenny posted above?)

Doylie
  • Swerve

You can push harder in a race? I've got my 1st 10k road race coming up next weekend but I have a concern that I won't have quite the level of willpower when the going gets tough. I'm really stubborn on a TM and refuse to turn the speed down even when it's killing me.
  • Doylie - we agree.

Jenny - yep, I can, and I think most others can, but I tend to train at lower effort/determination, except maybe when doing speedwork. On the other hand, it may not be the same for you as you are clearly stark staring doolally in the nut. ;-)
  • Jenny

In races i think you push yourself harder than during training, back to our original discussions though, it is different running outside in a race and however much you try to simulate on a treadmill, race conditions are always different.

When i had problems with this i was advised to run a number of races and get used to it rather than putting everyting into one race.

It worked for me and i was able to relax a bit after that
  • I've heard that treadmill running is actually "harder" because your mind is trying to make sense of the fact that your body is working hard and going nowhere at all.
  • Yeah, I think I've gone doolally...:-/

I did a 3.5 mile race (Chase Corporate Challenge) back in July in Battersea Park, not long after I took up running...pushed myself so hard that I completely lost the plot, was about 500m from the finish and someone said there was 2k left to go and I believed them. Hadn't a clue where I was.

Hope I don't lose my marbles next weekend.
  • Good luck in you 10K Jenny.

A VERY loosely related comment, more about gyms than the actual machines...

I use the TM at my local gym sometimes during winter but the thing that puts me off going more often is the mind-numbingly sh*te non-stop 'music' these places play. Why do we have to be force-fed this moronic cr*p? Don't know what it's called - technobollox or something - but I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO IT!

I take my own player with headphones but the gym system overpowers it and I end up being able to hear both at once. Maddening!
  • Lucrece

Thats probably true when you first start using it, but once you get used to it probably becomes less of a factor.

Sounds like this months issue will give some more authoritive views.
  • Slide

Boy am i with you on this one Slide, it's a much repeated question, with no resolution.....

bit like why is the Runners World i will be receiving on 27 September, dated November......

Sorry RW bet you have answered that one 100's of times
  • Thanks Slide.

I've got to run to decent music on a TM. Neighbours are probably sick of me playing the same stuff all the time, but I've got to run to familiar tunes. Maybe try getting used to "technobollox" ha ha
  • Treadmills are GREAT when you can't run outside! This morning, I fired up my tready, turned on Sunset Beach on five (Love that show!!) and ran while I was watching the show! At the end, I looked, and I had run 7 km in half an hour- so I'd managed to get a good, hard workout, and enjoy the programme at the same time! I felt proud of myself! I love the treadmill!
  • Chrissy

Nice work. I wil be on the treadmill later, to get a good run in 'nice' weather conditions. Call me a fair weather runner but........
  • Hello everybody,

I've just bought myself a treadmill and it's great! It's in the garage with a good view out into the garden. There's a stereo to help pass the time. Maybe a TV would be good.

The plan is to mix between indoors and outdoors. Just do what is convienient.

My view is that if it gets me running regularly again it's got to be good.

The long Sunday run will remain outside but this thing is just so good for all those hill sessions, intervals, steady state runs.

Three cheers for treadies.

• Call me a masochist-or addicted, although they're probably the same where this great sport of running is concerned- but I actually did TWO rums this morning! I did my usual 6.30 a.m. "proper" run-what I call my "wake-up" run, and then did my treadmill run in front of the TV! 8.1 km this time-I ran for an hour! And the strange thing is-I REALLY enjoyed it-you're not really (according to some!) supposed to actually ENJOY running on a treadmill!