Early morning eating

Can someone advise, share, help.

I've recently discovered that I prefer to run first thing in the morning, but cannot face eating at 6.30am. SO! I would appreciate peoples advice on:

Should I make the effort to eat 1st thing before I run, if so what would you recommend or am I ok / better off waiting until after and then what's good?

I'm a bit concerned I'm not fueling at the right times and with the right stuff. I have tried toast, cereal etc after a run, but feel something is missing? HELP!!!!

Dooz

Comments

• how far do you run? you're probably fine not eating beforehand, although you might want to drink plenty of water because we lose a lot of water overnight.

you should always eat straight after a hard session (within 10 minutes). something like 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate:protein
  • in fact you're always fine not eating beforehand. if you are running more than 10 or 12 miles you might want to take some sports drink or an energy bar or something, but this is best left until you're 20 minutes or so into the run
  • If you aren't doing too long (for me about an hour) try a few glasses of soya milk first just so you've got something down you, but don't skip breakfast afterwards (I like porridge).
  • i find if i just eat 1 weetabix with a sprinkle of sugar that does me, about 30/40 mins before running, that way its nothing heavy but you,ve fuelled for the run. i think a lot of people on here would agree/disagree, its a matter of finding what suits you? if you can,t eat then a sports drink to kick start the morning but you,ll need more as the milage goes up, oh and hi!!!!!
  • Mornings during the week, I run less than an hour and quite frankly cant face the prospect of getting up any earlier to eat something beforehand!!
    I dont then have anything to eat till I get to work, about an hour after I finish, which someone will probably tell me isnt good.
    Longer runs at the weekend, again I tend not to eat beforehand, so I can get it out the way as soon as I get up, although I know I need to get used to eating before long runs to practise for races - not that I've had any problems so far, but I've not raced further than a half marathon yet.
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi Doozer,
    I feel better if I eat a banana first thing before running, even half of one if it's big. Or a rice cake.
    But if you don't feel the need, don't bother. It's more important to refuel after.
  • I don't eat before I run either. The alarm goes off at 6.15am, I'm out the door by 6.25am and back anywhere from 30-60 mins later depending on the session. I get home, stretch and then eat (I like porridge too) and then shower and dress and I'm ready for my day.

The only time I've eaten before a morning run was a race I did a week or so ago, I deliberately got up and ate 2.5 hours before the race so I'd really know I'd digested my breakfast and it didn't interfere with my race at all.

Even on weekends when I get up a little later than 6.15am, I still plod and then eat. Basically any time I go straight from bed to plodding, I don't eat. If there is a gap between getting out of bed and plodding, then yes I'd eat as long as I could plan to eat well in advance of plodding.

Try and see what works for you. :-)
  • I too don't eat before I run in the morning.
    We eat our evenign meal fairly early (have kids) so I generally have some meusli or porage before going to bed if I know I am doing a long (1 hour) run in the morning - but I do have a drink of water.

The only time I did eat a banana before going out I felt like I needed the loo most of the way round!
  • HI

Ok, wow, what a response. Thank you all so much, Duck girl, trying the Soya milk tomorrow (hubby buying it from Tesco's as I type) Candy, I'm not running that far yet and I'm slowly building up my times, but will keep the sports drink in mind. Gonna try a Banana before my weekend run, after my well earned lie in!

On the prospect of increasing milage, anyone want to impart hard earned knowledge on that whilst we're here. Bearing in mind I'm still a relative newbie and currently aiming to run about 1 hour at the weekend(fingers crossed) How much and how fast should I increase my times each week?

Once again, thank you all so much for the above advice.

Dooz
  • Doozer - I didn't worry about distance until I could comfortably run for an hour. At the beginning it's time spent on your feet that counts!
  • Hi Shambler, thank you, it's kinda hard when you run on your own to know what where & when (not too many people want to run 1st thing and I don't know that many runners near me). However, not happy this morning though, weather really awful so will have to do todays run tonight!

• Awful weather, 45min run, 100cals brekkie beforehand. And boy do I feel superb
  • Ahhhh, sugar. for 100 read 1000
  • Doozer - I know what you mean, I'm a solo early morning runner......but you do get used to it. When I started I bought myself a really cheap sports watch from the market just so I could see how long I was on the move for, also I used to set myself really small, achievable goals - like initially to the end of my road, then the first lamppost on the left round the corner, then the third lamppost on the left, etc. It worked for me! The main thing is to stick at it and enjoy it!
  • Hi 2T, am I detecting a slight sugar habit! I'm sorry, but wild horses couldn't have dragged me along the sea front this morning. I mean, when trees' bend sideways and the car looks like it's in a car wash on the drive, you know it's a duvet over the head moment! But I will be out this evening, rain (most likley) or shine, I do feel crappy and tired now and it's only 11.50am, usually I'm bouncing around the office after a run

Shambler, it's nice to know I'm not the only nutter out there early am (my neighbours nickname for me) I think I'm a bit impatient, I want to be able to run for miles and miles, but me legs can only take me up to 3 at the moment, but at least I know i'm not the fist or last to feel that way. Thanks for the encouragement Sham, How far do you run in the morning?
  • Dooz - depends really, Tuesday is usually a gentle 3-5 miles, Thursday I force myself up a hill a few times, Friday I do a speed thingy on a treadmill, Saturday is my long run (I try to do a minimum of 8 miles) and Sunday I take some beginners out for a walk/jog for about 90 minutes - we cover anything from 3-6 miles. I also try to fit in a couple of curcuit classes or gym sessions a week and I do a stability ball class once a week too which has really helped the shambling!

Like I said before, just keep on going - you will go further and get faster - you just have to persevere. When I started I was almost 15st and couldn't even walk briskly for the distance of 2 lampposts!
  • Wow, shambler, I didn't know that--good for you!

I drink a tall glass of water upon awakening, whether or not I run. You need it since you haven't been drinking while you sleep. I actually first read that tip in an interview with Cameron Diaz! Sometimes I will mix a little orange juice in or have a handful of cashews. And that tip comes from Kelly Holmes. But as noted above, you don't want too much in your stomach. It's enough of a shock to the system to sprint out the door after a night's sleep.

Sorry for the name dropping.
  • Not sugar, branflakes. Unfortunately I go through a large box in a day and a half.
    But I do love them
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Doozer,

Well done for your progress so far.

I well remember the feeling of achievement the first time I ever ran three miles, many years ago now. Believe me, getting to that stage is by far the hardest part of this running lark. After that, it's relatively easy to add on another couple of minutes a week, then another five minutes or so when you get to an hour. Some people might say you could add more but it's much better to progress slowly and avoid getting injured.

I do sympathise with you not wanting to run today but just wanted to add that some of my most exhilarating runs have been in foul, cold, wet, windy weather. Sometimes if you can just force yourself out of the door, the feeling you get afterwards is incredible. Some of my most difficult runs, on the other hand, have been on what for most purposes would be lovely days (warmth and sunshine definitely do not make for good performance in my case).
  • Lucrece - I know, you'd never tell I do all that by loooking at me!!

Escargot - hear, hear - very well said!
  • Ok, Escargot, I promise, no matter what the weather is tomorrow am (hurricans I won't attempt) I'll be out and plodding, you've got to admit though, it's hard to leave the warmth of your bed when it's windy 7 pouring! I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on.

Sham, wow you go girl, that's amazing.

Please all keep in touch, I need all the inspiration (and encouragement) I can get, even my husband thinks I'm a looney getting up so early!

Dooz

• Dooz - what time is your early? Shame we don't live near each other!
  • Shamb, about 6.30am, or 6.45 if I have trouble getting out of bed. I'm in North Wales! Where are you?
  • Shamb, never mind chick, we can keep in touch via this thread. I may eventually catch up with you.

Oh well, back to the grindstone as they say, didn't realise the time (in work at moment, lunch over) speak to you soon, have a great afternoon.

Dooz
  • 2T - Mean't to ask before, doen't eating so many B/flakes have other less attractive side affects when you run!

Hi Shamb, just got back from my first pm run in ages (prefer am, less people to stand and stare, I'm sure I grow an extra head when I run!) approx 45 mins of 8 run/2 walk split. Even tried running on sand ( now there's a novel experience, I found it sinks and can swallow shoes whole!!! oh and dogs think that when you run on sand you're fair game to run at!!!)

Everyone have a lovely evening.

Dooz
  • Dooz - 45 mins - excellent stuff!
  • Funnily enough no.
    I changed my entire diet, I now eat a large box of B/flakes in 2 days, malt loaf and loads of fruit as snacks, loads ov veg for lunch and loads with my dinner. Also started drinking much more milk.
    At first there was some *ahem* 'overload', but that settled down after a week or so. Not affected me on my runs apart from a bit of gas for the first week, now not a problem. I always make sure to 'evacuate' before a run, but no entries for the "another fine mess" thread. Long may it continue.
  • 2t - know what you mean..... I recently "re-jigged" my eating patterns and for the first week or so my shambling was jet propelled! But it soon settled down - thank goodness!