Early morning eating

Comments

• Nothin much, lickng my wounds a bit after my hot 10k, but getting there. Just learn't how to tackle a hill properly, used to kill me about half way up, but now finding it a bit easier!!!

I've finally realised that running is not a natural thing to me, so I have plans afoot (ha! LOL a foot get it...) to try and enjoy it a bit more and to see what happens...

Take care

Dooz :-)
  • "afoot"....G-R-O-A-N!

Sounds like a good idea to me, Dooz - I'm not a natural runner either so I look at it as just being a part of the exercise I do rather than my main exercise......if you see what I mean?

Enjoyment is the most important thing to peeps like us, I think.

Keep on Doozin'!
  • Hi everyone

Back to the title subject of eating before running, am I the only person who eats and runs within 15 mins of each other? Judging by this thread, seems so! I get up at 6.00. Have breakfast [100g dry muesli, 25g almonds, 2 pears, all washed down with lots of water], polish that lot off about 6.45 and set off out the door at 7.00. I run for an hour, 6 miles. Up until now I wouldn't say I've had any side-effects from eating so much first, but maybe the fact that I'm pretty tired after the 6 miles is because I've eaten beforehand? - I'd never even considered that as a possibility. It's probably all in the head, but I just don't think I could run a step without collapsing unless I'd eaten substantially first.
  • PR - personally, if I eat anything solid less than 45-60 mins befrore I run I just feel really sick and knackered! So I'm a smoothie person - I find I can inhale a smoothie about 15 mins before I go out and I'm fine.

I think it's very much horses for courses....

• Hey all. Long time no see. Everyone training hard?
  • Okay, Shambler, that's reassuring. Thought for a moment there I was some sort of freak of nature! I've only ever once felt sick, during a charity fun run, and I'm convinced that's because it was held in the afternoon and I hadn't eaten for over an hour. I'm definitely a morning runner, and a full-stomached one at that!
  • Poppyred - I'm the same - I can't do morning work without some sort of sustinence.
  • Mmmm, 2 trenches, but I see from your profile you're a serious athlete, and serious athletes require serious amounts of food. I'm just a part-timer in comparison, 6 miles a day, 5-6 times a week. Not quite the same, really, is it? Back to feeling an odd-ball!!
  • LOL! Whoops, in need of an update - haven't run for 3 months...

In fact, been doin bugger all lately.

Except eating of course...

As a noble man once said, eating for marathon, training for tiddlywinks.
  • That's the great thing about profiles, you can go out and run for two hours, come back feeling really smug, get on the RW profile site and answer the questions according to what you've done that day, then sit back and relax for three months before you ever venture out the door in a pair of running shoes!
  • 2T - I like that quote, it just about sums me up!
  • Hiya Shamb, 2T and PR (welcome to the gang)

Sorry 2t, what was that.... you eating! I'd never believe it... LOL :-)

I just found out that when you view my profile it says....a big fat NOTHING, so going to remedy that ASAP.

I was invited to join my local running club last night (always thought I might be too slow) but a very nice lady there suggested I run with them this Sat and see how I got on... I'll let you know.

Shamb, I've been meaning to ask, when you make your smoothie, what do you use? I tried yog, banana, skim milk and choc nesquick, but found the yog I used very overpowering and it made the smoothie taste a bit Blah!!!
    If you use yog, which type (brand etc) I tried Sainsbury's low fat organic but had to bin the drink, I don't think I could run after it, but sometimes I can't stomach food just before and if I join the running club, I need to eat at 6am to run more than 3 miles, so I thought a smoothie might work about an hour before...

Ok, speak to you all soon.

X Dooz
  • Dooz - my recipe for smoothies:-

1 banana
    5-6 strawberries & raspberries
    small handful of blueberries
    a couple of LARGE spoonfuls of low fat "live" yoghurt (Onken is nice - quite creamy)
    a splosh of Oatley (I don't like milk)
    tablespoon of toasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, linseed) these are optional, I happen to have them haning around already so I just chuck 'em in!

Whizz that lot up with a hand blender and TA-DAA, a smoothie. Sometimes I add a little more Oatley if the smoothie is a bit too thick.

What I do is buy the berries and then portion them out into little freezer bags - with the chopped banana, too - and put them in the freezer. Then, when I want my smooothie I take out a bag and I have everything I need. It also means that you don't have to add ice cubes (which just dilutes your yummy smoothie) to make it cold. If you have time, take the friut out of the freezer 20 mins or so before you need it.

Obviously, the options are endless and when the berry season is over you can used tinned friut as long as it's NOT in syrup, of course!

I hope you enjoy!
  • This thread has been very handy - am just getting back into running after a long lay-off, and wanted to get some sage advice about morning running...

I found it, and I didn't even have to ask for it!
  • Hi Javen - glad we could help! So, howzit going?
  • It's not going too bad - am about halfway through my first training programme, and am preparing my second to carry on...

Have just signed up for my 1st 10K to give myself something to aim for!
  • Hiya chaps,

Hi Shamb, trying your recipe for amoothies tomorrow (have all the ingredients in the fridge ready to go).

Getting quite nervous about my first run with the running club on Saturday, but at least it's 1st thing (not too much to much time before hand to worry!)

2T - you still with us? Hows the training going? Oh! a friend told me last week that cold baked beans and hob knobs make a good healthy snack ( I thought of you!,)let me know if you ever try it. I don't mind cold beans but apparently it does not work with choc covered hob knobs (sorry unless it has choc on it....)

Welcome Javen, I'm really pleased people are still benefitting from the advice given in this thread, I can honestly say it helped me more than I thought it ever could.

Oh! and good luck on your 1st 10k, where about's in the country is it?

My next one will be Liverpool in Oct, but I am trying to find a few 5k in the area to do 1st.

Anyway, off to catch some well earned ZZZZZZZ, heavey duty circuit class with hills last nite has left me a wee bit jaded today.

X Dooz
  • Hi Dooz,

Definetely been a real help this thread! I'm so amazed by how easy it is to find information, and meet friendly people here.

My 10K is the Aldbourne 10K in Wiltshire, near Swindon... I'm really excited about it. I'm having to stop myself from entering other races (mainly because I don't want to push myself too hard).
  • Hey Dooz!

Hope you slept well. You're sounding VERY perky! Please let us know how Saturday morning goes.....I'll think of you whilst I'm out on a long slow run with a couple of chums.

Javen - I know what you mean it's soooo exciting! Will you be meeting up with any other Forumites at the race? Check on the events forum to see if there's a thread for the race and if not start one....it's so nice to put faces to names!
  • Hi Shamb, The good news is the run with the running club went very well and I really enjoyed it, even considering joining! The even better news is I ran my fist 7 miler with them without realising it, of course I didn't set any time PB's but wot a feeling.... Although by 6pm Sat night my knees were reminding me I have never run that far before. Hot water bottles and ice packs to go please!

Anyway, how are you, training still going well?

2T - Report matey?

Javen - how's the 10k training going?

X Dooz
  • Dooz - well done you! A running club - how grown up! Look after those kneesies! Training's not going too bad actually, but the eating is another problem..... :o( I just can't seem to stop! Hey ho! 2T seems to be popping up elsewhere at the moment, you'll have to trawl some of the other threads - I can't remember where I've seen him.....

Javen - yes, let us know how you're getting on.
  • Hi all,

Well tonight is my first run of the new programme, and I don't think I've ever been so excited about a run before!

I can't wait for my 10K - My parents have decided to come to support me, which is great.
  • Dooz, training is a no no at the current moment - I've fixed me knees but panned my back in. No running for about 3 months, bugger all swimming, and with mechanical failure, motivational drop off and a body like an 80 year old, cycling has sorta tailed off to commuting. Went on the club cycle yesterday morning and suffered like you wouldn't believe. And almost got hit by a 4x4. I'm waiting until I move back up north to get my back fixxed and back into training proper.

Meantime I'm going to try and get dressed in the morning without bendung over. It's harder than you'd think...
  • And in fact the suffering on the club run was nothing to do with my back, but the loss of fitness and the severe pace...
    The sticky bun at te cafe stop wasn't sitting properly, and I got dropped more than once on the hills.

Managed to freak out some drivers by passing them doing 45 on the inside though playing catch up. Lots of grins as I went pass...

:oD
  • 2T! Nutter!

Javen - where/when is your 10k? And what programme are you following?
  • My 10K is the Aldbourne 10K in Wiltshire, on the 11th September.

My programme has been designed by myself and my Uncle, who though out of running for a while due to injury retains a great deal of running know-how.

It's balanced to be enough of a challenge, without pushing myself too hard and which should put me in top form for the 10K.
  • Hiya, sorry I'm late...

2T, you never change, I agree with Shamb, total nutter.

Anywho, update from running club last Sat, actual distance was.....(insert dramatic pause)7.5 miles - oh yeah! So even after 2 very painful outdoor circuit (boot camp) classes this week, I feel sooooooo great! and beleive me, if you saw my run tonite you'd have thought I needed crutches, I have aches on my aches.

So, how's everyone else doing?

X Dooz
  • Hi

Everyone ok?

Shamb, you there?

• Still here, Dooz! What you ben up to? You OK?