Logistics & Accommodation for the event

Hopefully I'll be in the FLM for the first time but I'm not sure how to get to the start, where to stay in London etc and wouldn't want it too late to book somewhere. I need advice on where to stay (family included) and how to get to the start on race morning. Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Getting to the start on race morning is easy. Head to the nearest tube station and ask someone who is carrying a London Marathon kit bag that you will be given when you pick your number up.
    Travelodge, Travelinn type hotels will allow you to book now and cancel anytime upto 2:00pm on the day of arrival at no cost to yourself. I would stay near the finish rather than near the start. Getting to the start really is that easy, allbeit overcrowded.
  • Yeah - get a hotel that you can hobble to !

I was up by St Pauls last year and had to use all the kerbs lowered for wheelchairs to cross all the roads to get up there as my legs wouldn't bend at the knee once I finished !

Taxi wasn't an option - no way could I have got into one !

I think more longer runs are called for this time !
  • I use londontown.com on the web to book a hotel (staying in a £290 hotel in Knightsbridge for £110 !!)

They have all sorts of accomodation at v.good prices

• Go by train from, I think, Waterloo? Someone might want to correct me on that though - you'd think that, living in London, I'd know these things...

But go early, the trains get packed. When I ran in 2001, I felt really sorry for the runner in the Mr Bump outfit who had NO chance of finding room on the train. Also, there'll be massive queues for the portaloos - another sound reason for going early.

But Fat Face is basically right - once you get into the Tube system, you won't be able to miss where you're going!
  • Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Where is the finish?

Are there any hotels in the area?

'Scuse my ignorance all you cheeky cockerneys but I'm from 't North and don't get down to London much. Last time was for the British Open 10K and we stayed in Knightsbridge (v. nice - good Italian for the pasta job)
  • There is the Clarendon Hotel in Blackheath right opposite the start, great if like me you decided to run with tons of ballons. I couldn't get on the train this year and walked (OK so it was only from Lewisham which is 1.5 miles from the start).

Travelodge are cheap.
    Quality near the end is St James, under half a mile from the finish but at circa £200 per night for a room. Unless you intend to cripple yourselve like courgie obviously did anywhere in London is fine.
    If you have a tent you can pitch in my garden, its took me 30 minutes from home to the start (including walking to the station)
  • The finish is in front of Buckingham Palace. I usually stay in Victoria area which is about 1/2 mile from the finish - takes about 20-30 minutes to push through the crowds to the Victoria station. Try holidayinn or best western hotels, also superbreak.com but they have hefty cancellation or change charges.
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    Surely they must have a few spare rooms in Buckingham Palace?Lizzy seems to let anyone in these days and a few marathon runners arent likely to be up to any nonsense the night before a major race.couple of years ago the hotel I was in arranged for early breakfast and also allowed us to kep the room til late afternoon at no extra cost.Beat that Liz??
  • TO go back to the palace you would have to double back from the baggae area. You'd be better to meet your family and head to No. 10, well hes never there is he. Hes always jetting of to suck up to Bush and leaving us in the whole. Guess who won't get my vote - Ken Livingston is one. But then thats another rant
  • Clarendon at Blackheath - tel 020 8318 4321
    Express Holiday Inn (Greenwich) 020 8269 5000
    www.TravelInn.co.uk recomend London County Hall just across the bridge from Big Ben and so within 1 mile of finish. 0870 2383300.
    I've not stayed at any of these so can't comment further.
    For luxery try.
    Tower Thistle Hotel (where all the top atheletes stay HI to the Penguin.
    St James in Victoria
    or The Dolphin - I have stayed at the last two and would highly recomend both. The Dolphin is in Dolphin square and features Rhodes in the Square. One of Garys restaurants. Food is supurb and good value, but avoid room service which is expensive and of very poor quality in my view.
  • Last year I used WRP see their homepage click They were great you were bussed to the start shower at hotel after and a spectator service.

• I didn't even notice Buck Palace last year - I was just so focused on getting to the finish.
    I was also put off when I turned the last corner only to find someone running as a large pink mobile phone dead ahead of me.

I then did a detour to finish on the far side of the road to make sure a fancy dress costume wouldn't be in my finish photo !

Take my hat off to these people - how much harder can they make it on themselves !

• A large pink mobile phone? I can better that!

In 2001, I had back problems but ran anyway. I basically hobbled the last few miles as I was determined to finish. Just before the turn into, I think, Birdcage Walk, a huge cheer went up behind me. I turned round to see a Viking Longship and assorted Viking warriors bearing down on me. How depressed did that make me feel!?

• Still can't decide whether to keep my photo as there is a rather unsavoury charactor in the background of mine with a stupid smug grin on his face. Photoshop here we come I think.
  • Anyone figure out how to make the rest of the runners look worse than they do at the moment on my finishers photo ? I look like death and they obviously just haven't been trying.

(Must know a short cut or something, mutter mutter)
  • I used to live in Hugh St, Victoria which is close to the finish. There are several small hotels along Hugh St including Holly (House?) Hotel and the Oak Hotel.I think they may be moderately priced in London terms. The Rough Guide suggests one in its guide to london.