weight gain?

Hi all. First post, new runner, and like it says on the tin, running seems to make you lose weight.

The drawback is, I don't want to lose weight, I'm too skinny as it is! I'm a 36 year old veggie and don't tend to put on much fat. Just gone down from 60 kilos (5 foot 8 male) to 59, so not too drastic yet. I tried (and love) beer, but these days every pint I drink seems to be the bottom of a barrel, so I've given that a rest too :-( I don't know if vodka contributes to weight gain very much.

Am I just missing the obvious by not joining a gym to gain muscle weight? I guess it'll have to be muscle to be useful, but I love the freedom of running without all that equipment, or the need to join any clubs or groups, so I'm really resistant to joining a gym, though I've never been to one. I've just re-read that sentence and realise it sounds like some people are running around with gym equipment on their backs - and I'm certainly not going to do that either.

Just wondered if any one had any tips, maybe in change of diet or is it going to be down to building up muscle, and if so, what's best to do at home.

I'm not after a great physique, I'm just concerned that my watch stays on my wrist!

Thank you all!

Comments

• My daughter has just gone veggie so i am trying to get to grips with giving her a good balanced diet. Protein and faty acids seem to e the biggest problem. Plus for you you also need resistance training. Without a gym then you need to start the old favourites, press ups lunges sit ups squats dips etc where your body weight provides the resistance. you might also consider a resistance band.

101kg myself so not a big prob for me
  • Alun,

To put on weight you'll need to consume more calories than you're burning off running. If you do consume the right calories and continue exercising you shouldn;t gain too much fat. As a veggie it's hard to get the protein which you need to build muscle and repair muscles from your running so a protein shake or meal replacement shake might help there. You will not build much muscle just doing body resistance exercises because you will reach a point where you need to increase resistance to build muscle. On the other hand you don't have to kill yourself in the gym - just do a basic workout 2-3 times per week but you do need to lift weights to build muscle. It would also help your running ! Also, try and avoid running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning if you want to keep your weight up. You are lucky after all as it sounds like you have a fast metabolism. Also depends what distances you are running. Generally the longer runs will burn more calories then shorter interval types so you may need to change your training if weight gain is a goal.

• Hi,

thanks for the tips (and sorry, I've just changed my nickname - it looked a bit bare!).

I've started protein replacements - I'd say the rest of my diet is pretty good, and I'm currently running about 45k per week, albeit slowly. The HRM I got recently is telling me I'm burning 560 calories a run, which sounds like too much! Apart from that 1 kilo loss, feeling great.

Mij, if you're looking for protein replacements, then I'm sure you've already found Tofu (better and cheaper than Quorn) although it can be a bit tasteless unless you bung it in a spicy and quick stir fry. Even better is Tempeh, and packed with protein and vitamins, but that's hard to get hold of (in Oxford anyway). Both are soya based natural products. Of course there are mushrooms, and if she eats dairy, then cheese etc are standard protein foods for veggies. Honestly I've been veggie for years, apart from the occasional meat-for-politeness at people's houses, and haven't fainted once while exercising!

Derminsaudi, Perhaps I should think about shorter faster runs, but I've quite enjoyed leisurely long trips along canals and rivers and been following the advice here about building up endurance first. Until last autumn I only ran very very occasionally, but cycled a fair bit (8 miles a day commuting). This did build up my thighs, but I no longer need the commute and my thighs have thinned again. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised that running a long way slowly doesn't build up any muscles - you can see it from distance runners' body shapes. So yes, perhaps I'd better get a bit faster on shorter runs.

The morning run thing is good to note - I always wondered about that - it seems more time efficient only having to have one shower a day ;-) but I never could see how people could run as well after a gap of up to 11 hours since food. I was running in the evenings last year, and it was a great way to relieve the stress of a day at work. On the other hand the morning runs are so quiet and it's been beautiful watching the sun rise over the riverside here (I must be going too slowly - no time to watch the scenery!). So maybe I'll try going back to well-fed evening runs.

I'll also get myself a set of dumbells and keep up the press-ups etc. Doing it at home always makes me feel a bit Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver) like, but I haven't been to Vietnam so I should be ok!

Thanks again,

A

• Eat a whole malt loaf after a run - 650cals in a one-er. Additionally, add butter/PB/chocolate spread and you'll be piling on the pounds. Lots of hill sprints to bulk up your legs, and lots of resistance training to do the rest. Happy eating
  • Chocolate spread, yum! I used to spread Nutella on brioche, now that was GOOD - time to crack open a jar.

Hills - hmm, that's why I started having to run so far - it takes me half an hour to run to the nearest hill, so I'd probably be exhaused. Hey, I could bike it, doh!
    OOh, I'm beginning to look forward to this :-) However, my photo seems to have disappeared.
  • Damn you, damn you, damn you.
    Chocolate spread on brioche was the one thing I was trying not to think about, and now I have cravings like you wouldn't believe. grrrrrr.
    Only kidding.
    Do the half hour run/bike as a warm up, then say 5 reps at a decent lick (dont blow up, but be nicely toasted by the end), then warm down home! Piece of cake (doh!)
  • Got the oven on now, I think I'll heat that brioche up first, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. What was that, something about running?

;-)

Funnily enough, that hill rep sounds exactly like what a friend of mine does, and he does have thighs like balloons (except they don't pop). I'd be doing it on the exact same hill too.
  • I found calf raises were the best way to seriously bulk up your calves - stand on a stair on the balls of your feet, and dip your heels down, then raise up till your on tip toe. Do this ~20 times, then wait 20s. Repeat 2 or 3 times. When this gets easy, stand on one foot and hook the other behind your ankle. Do 20 on one foot, immediately 20 on the other foot, and repeat 2 or 3 times. And if this gets easy and you still have tiny calves, repeat the one legged ones with a rucksack full of bricks on. That's how I do it.
    And you can't tempt me - I saw brioche and chocolate spread AND jaffa cakes in the shop the other day, and managed to avoid them all.
    Though the security guards said I was very hard to restrain. Until they coshed me.
    Ho humm
  • They have security guards at your pastry shop? Wow. I suppose if you're often there at the window with your rucksack of bricks bobbing up and down doing calf raises they might want to bring in some extra security ;-)

Right - I'll let you know how I get on.
    So far I've got calf raises, chin ups, press ups, dumbell stuff, chocolate spread, protein powder, hill runs in the evening, shorter runs. Definitely glad I posted this one, thanks all!
  • Don't forget squats.
    And if the pressups aren't doing it for you - try extreme range ones - Feet on one chair, one arm each on another 2, and pressup. The bottom is when your chest is between the chairs. More difficult, but it gives you a better range of motion and more strength.
    Good luck luna
  • Don't worry about your weight. I'm "technically" underweight too and supposedly that means my health is at risk, I'm at risk of osteoporosis, body fat too low etc etc (can't remember them all) and no matter how much I eat now I can't put weight on. I'm about 2-3lbs lighter now I'm running than I was before.

So to put weight on I have to stop running. Forget about it.

• Well, in the nicest way possible, from an overweight person, I hate you both.
    Having eaten veg, veg, and more veg and constantly struggling with walking past the confectionary, I hate you.
    (kidding)
  • Dieting to put on weight is basically the same principle as dieting to loose weight, you must know whet you base calorific requirement is first – This is a combination of factors such as BMR, life style adjustments and Training.

This would gave a calorific range of the required calories need to be consumed to maintain current body weight

A Person looking to loose weight would aim to eat at (or just below) the lower end of this range
    A Person looking to gain weight would aim to eat at (or just above) the upper end of this range

And the diet should always be a balanced maintainable one and avoid the risk to over eat on one particular food group (loosing weight shouldn’t cut out food groups)
  • Heh, I know I know, I was waiting for a basting (or a chocolate coating !) on this. It's just that every article I ever read is about LOSING weight, which kind of drives me up the wall.

But more seriously, about worrying about weight, it's true I've always had the reverse envy - wanting to be a bit bulkier / burlier but never quite managing it. I think I probably do burn fat off quickly, and have a generally small appetite. Maybe I'm wrong, but there aren't many occasions when being a small-framed man is considered a good thing. We should all just be happy with our size, as long as we feel fit. Guess it all goes back to school - uh oh, I think I'd better lie down on that couch over there, hang on!

Everyone really is so polite here, it's such a change from the BBC forums, heh.

• ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    luna man - the only time I've ever really put on weight was when I was rowing so it basically came down to extra muscle bulk on the legs and upper body. Be careful with the faster runs though as the majority should still be steady aerobic mileage - it's only really <800m sprinters who develop monster thighs in any case - look at El Gherrough (sp?) for instance! In fact - take him and Bekele as role models and you probably look lardy...
  • I doubt you'll have much success putting on muscle bulk if you are the sort of person that finds it hard to gain weight. Unless you are concerned for aesthetic reasons I'd just go with it - being lighter will help your running and put less stress on your body in general - and so long as you know you are healthy then I think you have an ideal situation.
  • drink guinness,lots and lots of guinness
  • Yes I think being lightweight definitely helps with running :-)

Have you looked into VO2 max? There is relative VO2 max which is expressed in mlO2/min/kg so therefore the lighter you are the easier it is to have a higher VO2 max. Having a high relative VO2 max is useful where the resistance is gravity eg. running. Absolute VO2 max is actual oxygen you can use and to have a high absolute VO2 max would be useful where the resistance is not gravity eg. rowing. Matthew Pinsent apparently has the biggest lung capacity of anyone in Britain at 8 litres. But he's not too good at running.
  • If you are determined to put on weight in a way that won't interfere too much with running, I would recommend doing weights/exercises aimed at the large abdominal (back, chest) muscles rather than trying to get killer biceps or triceps. Do exercises/weights aimed at a number of muscle groups rather than isolated muscle groups. I try and do a bit of that kind of work and I think on the whole that it helps with running, so long as you don't overdo it.
  • Sorry, I was busy looking at the vast range of torture instruments I can buy for the home, looking up what a squat thrust is etc. There's a heck of a lot for me to learn here. Oh, and I'm supposed to be at work too, mustn't forget ;-), though I'm the boss and employee so no one minds.

VO2 - no, don't know anything about that, I'll look into it.

Slainte- ah, Guinness, it's true, I wouldn't get my trouble with off-beer so often. If only it was cheaper over here - though there's a Sam Smiths pub nearby and their stout is nice.

There's no real need for me to gain a lot of weight I guess - unlike that poor paralympic judo athlete who had to gain something like 20k to go up a category! I think I've always wondered if it would help my stamina and basic fitness though if I had more weight on me.
    Now I just like the sound of all those chocolate brioches and pints of Guinness. Maybe I can start a new running club - thanks folks!

• Hey,

My main tip for weight gain is to keep plenty of food in the house you really like (sounds obvious, but if there's stuff that's really tempting, you're much more likely to eat it instead of trying to 'find' meals). Oh, and to eat out whenever the opportunity presents itself - pret does a load of healthy but great food..

Good luck
    SoC
  • Ok! Great advice and it's really nice to FINALLY find other people who struggle to put on weight/maintain it. I am a keen runner, I don't want to stop running and want to put on weight but I also have another problem to throw in - I have irritable bowel which stops me from eating those bad fats! I like the healthy food now as I've grown use to it. I love the suggestion above about quorn - I'm going back to that; I also have protein shakes and snack on dired foods - does anyone have any other suggestions!!
  • Pharmascience Health Gainer for Weight gain
    Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake .
    For more visit
    PHARMASCIENCE – THE INDIAN AYURVEDA