PROVISIONAL Dartford 10

Comments

• Where are the paper entry forms? :-(
  • Looks like I might have to miss out on the race now anyway and most of the Pre London marathon races, as there is a strong possibility that I will be away for most of the first half of next year on business. Won't know until the first week of November if I have to go or not. :-(
  • thought i'd better sneak on here and put my request in for the marshalling spot on the finishing straight again :)

btw, i dont think Caz will be volunteering to man the drinks station at the finish again this year ! :)
  • ...More like the tea & bacon sarnie station indoors! Talking of which I haven't had my brekkie yet!

That water station was hard work!
  • huh - my chief assistant bottling out?!!
  • tee-hee - got your hands full there eh?
  • :-)

Do you know I haven't had an alcoholic beverage yet?! That's commitment!

I'll probably come on here tomorrow with a hangover now I've said that! ;-)
  • Yes its indeed Invicta East Kent which I am joining, still with the Harriers for the Kent Fitness League though, so I have one last chance to leave the Harriers with a victory over the DRR! ;P

I think people will be surprised over what happening at Invicta, Ive been there for the last 3-months training and with the squad which we are secretly forming, I think even M&M should fear us big time! lol

Pants:
    I guess your probably a little annoyed with me at the moment, but if I want to progress then this was always on the cards, actually I already turned down a big club move last year, so I could spend another season with the Harriers, but now its time for me to move on!

It could have been M&M I joined, but this I thought would really rub salt into open wounds, so Invicta were a neutral team as far as I was concerned!

I still will be 2nd claim for Harriers though (hopfully) so can still where the Vest on occastion :)

• Which marshalling spot will Maz be allocated? :-)
  • wow, already working out marshalling posts etc, thats really efficent!

But will Mr Hall and Mr Green be able to run the race or will it be strictly NO Drr runners like the last Dartford 10? :)
  • They're all squabbling over the marshalling posts at the end of the race - stay indoors longer that way!
  • Its cold during the race, last time, my hands went dead and I had trouble speaking as my mouth literally froze, thats despite wearing gloves and a hat! hee hee hee hee
  • I'm not really annoyed (most of my comments are tongue in cheek) - but I guess I'm disappointed that you feel the need.

"but if I want to progress then this was always on the cards" - B*ll*x! Do you think I won't progres because I am staying at the Harriers? Will I struggle to attain my goal due to my club? What cr*p!

But what is true is that with less faster runners at the club we will attract less faster runners - we as a club are less likely to progress.

I am disappointed as that is clearly not important to you. But the really silly thing is that you are just as likely to progress at the Harriers...
  • DRR members are not permitted to run this race.

Anyway, Blackheath and Bromley will clean up again, (unless there's another Kenyan ringer.)
  • Shame, Snoops - I'd liked to have raced Andy...

Looks like I'm gonna do this one - may even get my entry in early!
  • Pants,
    I hardly think me leaving is going to send the Maidstone Harriers on a downward spiral to failure, there will be other runners who join that could be quicker than you! after all, I joined them at a time, when Dave Law was basically there only really quick runner, and I joined because they were local and catered for my running needs at that time, things have now changed, so I have moved on, like many other former members! besides im still staying second claim so im not leaving entirely!!! I can now take a more administrative roll within the club :)

Looks like this Dartford 10, is going to be one heck of a race, scores and grudges to be settled, new teams wanting to prove themselfs, man, its looking a blockbuster of a race, DRR`s must be loving it! ;)

• "Grudges to be settled" - damn right! See you on the start line, Judas!
  • Hey, the real reason Mickstas joining IEK is so that he can wear a red vest with black shorts ! , which is getting a bit closer to DRR colours..the ones he really wants to wear ;)

Pants has a point regarding progression, I don’t see why progress couldn’t still be made with a club like MH rather than IEK, as I can’t think of any IEK runners quicker than yourself and Dave Law ? unless they are in this secret ‘squad’ you mentioned, or maybe the coaching is better at IEK ?. I could understand joining M&M, as they have a number of quality runners who are quicker and therefore an advantage could be had by training and getting advice from them (although like you said, that may of upset MH even more). I’m sure I recall Big Tim of IEK, who is a similar standard to yourself, saying earlier this year he had a spell training with some of the M&M guys and he found it very beneficial.

Having said that I guess some ppl need a change from time to time.. to renew enthusiasm etc..

Right first odds of 05’.. Micksta 4/5 on to beat Pants at Dartford ? ..
    (says that hoping Pants doesn’t clock sub 57 otherwise I could be in trouble :)

and lucky for Micksta that Messrs Hall and Green aren't running :)
  • Sub 55 by then I hope, Gaz - although I hear the course may not be favourable for fast times.

But Tim TRAINED with the "smarties" but he REMAINED with HIS club - THAT is how it should be done...
  • sub 55 ! good stuff ..training must be going really well :) .. i saw you had an excellent run in the North Downs 30K in the summer, so things must be still going in right direction :)

yes, i gather it's a fairly tough course, (i have actually never run it, as i had to pull out prior to the race coz of injury surprise surprise ! in 2003, and of course as i joined DRR last year i marshalled in 2004).... a sub 55 time will be hard, as from looking at past results not too many have achieved that ..but good luck. :)

might have to revise my odds ;)
  • The course is not that hard a sub 55 is possible and I am sure if Andy Green was running he could sub 55 it. There are no real test hills in it and if you plan the race you should do well unless another African comes and whips everyones butt again. He looked like he was out for a sunday jog when he came past me last year.

Mick, Monsiuer Willmott is a Marshall this year. He handed over the reins in March. Looks like its down to me then.
  • If a northerner can just butt in on this flow of reason...:-)

It seems a shame people switch clubs to `improve themselves'. Surely with the advice available on these and other forums there is enough information for people to improve by learning for themselves.

At times I find our club stagnant (the best runners being vets, a `split' between the track club and the road club) but I feel that once you sign up for a club, unless there is a particular problem within it, it is generally best to stick with your choice.

In the words of Bill Adcocks `if you cut my arm you'd read the words Coventry Godiva Harriers'.
  • Can't you let a few top DRR guys race it - it seems wrong that they can't be there...
  • BR - the voice of reason... :-)
  • We are considering it but if we allow DRR's to run how can we stop the other members. Its a hard call but I think you will see some of the mighty DRR's out there but hopefully not that many just enough to beat the M Harriers.
  • It should be open to the club's "elite" - maybe sub 60min men and equivalent for ladies too. You need your best runners to fly the flag...
  • i agree, it's a well supported race and as Dartford is such a large club letting the top DRR men and women race wouldn't comprimise on the organisation / marshalling etc.. i reckon it would be good for them to 'fly the flag' as Pants has said.

perhaps whoever has clocked sub 60 (men) in one of the years DRR grand prix 10 milers would be eligible to run (and for women perhaps sub 70 ?)..just a thought.

sub 60 counts me well out though ! :)
  • As an somewhat independent observer here I have to say I disagree.

Who do you term 'elite'? It's not just sub 60 10 milers who are 'elite' what about the (say) vet 60 or 70 who's top of their age graded range but wouldn't reach that standard?

I personally don't think it's particularly fair to say right you really fast few can run, the rest of you are marshall fodder. If the race is open to the 'elite' then it should be open to all who want to run, or none at all as it is at the moment.

My club race is organised by a dedicated team on our race committee and I'm sure it's the exactly the same at DRR. Marshalls are found from those in our club who are unable to run for various reasons, partners & friends.

My perspective from a very non-elite 80 min 10 miler ...