Bread Makers

13»

Comments

• Muttley

I usually put in 2oz out of each pound. With pizza bases half and half makes an excellent base.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pixie and Josie! I'll give it a whirl.
  • If you're having trouble getting the mix right try wrights mixes all you have to do is add water and they're fab. Parmesan and sundried tomato has just finished and it's lovely
  • Tip:

If you're making a loaf for someone else, or to have on the table at a dinner party etc, sprinkle in a handful of sesame seeds when there's about an hour left to go - ie when the loaf has been formed, but is still soft. Use enough seeds to evenly coat the top. They sit on top and look very nice when the loaf comes out. Makes a real difference to the ooh-ah factor.

Taste good too.
  • Tip:

If you're having trouble getting wholewheat loaves to rise, include some lemon juice in the water ration. It's the vitamin C that helps the rise.

Or use Spelt flour in the amounts as given in wholewheat recipes but on the white flour programme (Spelt rises and proves quicker than wholewheat).
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I've only just come across this thread, or I'd have put my oar in already. My bread maker is the bit of kitchen kit I use most (after the kettle). It is wonderful, you can make any kind of bread you can imagine, and you can get the ingredients in supermarkets.

I have hardly used the 'extras', so a basic machine would have done for me. I use it at least twice a week.

Get one immediately, you will never regret it.
  • I would really like a bread maker, I made some bread the other week, don;t think I let it rise enough before I out it in the oven, it was very ummmmmm solid. I ate it and it tasted like bread but gave me a really bad stomach ache!

• Just joining the Bread Machine Bore Club.

Tried olive and oregano bread for the first time yesterday. Just finished the loaf by spreading two large slices with ginger conserve. Feel slightly queasy but happy.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks BR.

Need to go back and read the thread now, to see which breadmakers have been mentioned.

Making banana and muesli bread on Saturday as I saw it on UKfoodlive and it just looked yummy!
  • Am trying the machine for the first time tonight....hubby usually does the bread and it works great, but he's away so it's time for me to learn. He's got a killer banana and pineapple bread recipe if anyone wants

So I thought....3 chocolate bread sounded good....that'll motivate me to try

Didn't spot the bit about keeping salt and yeast separate until it was too late.

Next, I missed the beep to tell me to put the chocolate in...so had to take the dough out and push the chocolate bits in by hand.

There's now an hour left to go on the timer....so I guess it's risen (or not!) and I should be smelling yummy bread smells soon??

At least there is some of the bar of chocolate left over...I could just eat that :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think I'll stick to handmaking it for a while.
  • Hah! Despite my utter incompetence...the bread is YUMMY...think I'll call it carboloading!
  • Another convert .... welcome aboard, HH.

A breadmaking joke:

Q: Why did the baker have smelly hands?

A: Because he kneaded a poo!

I thank you.
  • Panasonic. Used every other day. Fantastic. Sorry, I know you've moved on, but had to say it.
  • croissants??? someone mentioned croissants on the first page - how do you make them or even the dough for them in a breadmaker?
    please?????

I've been using mine for soy & linseed bread (loaf and rolls) and for raisin bread (makes great toast and low GI too) so far

and I have a detailed recipe for coffee scrolls which I plan to try this weekend :-)

L :-)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Boing!

Did a 400 g loaf in my Panny today - recipe for 50% wholemeal rapid bake but with 150 g of white, 150 g of wholemeal and 100 g of spelt flour. Include about 100 ml of lemon or lime juice in the liquid ration.

Makes an excellent and well-risen fluffy sandwich-sized loaf in 3 hrs. Yum!
  • Hilly, re. your post on 17/02, are you still doing it by hand?
  • I suggest you visit WhatsCookingDad for all your queries about bread makers you can found bread machine recipes, guide, and much more to improve your baking skills and it becomes easy to make a buying decision. Visit: https://www.whatscookingdad.com
  • Lol, this is an old discussion but if you are looking for bread maker now visit mrguide.co.uk and check the best models on the market.