Options

Arbroath Footers Smokies Ladies 10

Right-that's it! My entry form arrived today and has been promptly filled out and sent back.

I enjoyed it so much last year that I'll be giving it another go in 2005.

Who else will be doing it again? Is anyone entering for the first time?

Comments

• Options
    Hi, I booked the race day off work today, and I've just printed off the universal runners world form.
    This will be my first race of any distance - I only started running a couple of months ago so now I'll have to keep going over the winter!
  • Options
    Tricia

The Smokies 2004 was only my 2nd proper race (the first being the Jack Crawford 10k in Bishopbriggs in January).

I'd been running for just over 6 months when I did the Arbroath race, and I thoroughly enjoyed it- and it is a good motivator to keep on getting out for a run over the winter.
  • Options
    FF

Thanks, that's reassuring.

I'm only running (and walking) about 10 miles a week but there's still 5 months to go to improve (I don't think I'll take a week to do it but you never know) - and all the reviews say the food is good at the end, extra incentive.

I'm from Fife too. I plan to do the East Neuk 10K next year.
  • Options
    entry in and cant wait .. this is great race and i dont say that just coz its oranised by my club.. its friendly, great route and great goodybag and usually tshirt and stuff.. oops forgot bout the great food at the end .. worth running for definitely.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I've got my number. I'll be curious to see if I can beat my last year's time (which was pretty slow) - I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't!

Tricia - it is a friendly race and a wide variety of levels of runner, so don't worry - you'll be fine.
  • Options
    I've printed out the entry form, this will be my first time at this race but from what i have read it sounds good.
  • Options
    just printed off my entry form - oh god! here i go again.

hope its a nice friendly one for us slower plodders :0)
  • Options
    Just got my confirmation back - no: 303. Don't know if this means that its nearly full, better hurry up with those entries!
  • Options
    Looks like it is now full, so no running of this one for me. Good luck to everyone else doing it.
  • Options
    How near are you Pobel? Last year there were loads of no-shows on the day, so if you were close you could go in the off chance of getting a number on the day.
  • Options
    I'm in Aberdeen so not too far away. They said they would put me on the reserve list! If come March they have not sent me a place and if my training has been going well then I might go down on the off chance of getting a number on the day. Thanks for the suggestion MrsMac.
  • Options
    This is my first Arbroath Smokies Run and I'm really looking forward to it, particularly as it is giving me the incentive to keep training throughout the winter months! So far only done a 10K and a half marathon, both of which were pretty flat, so I'm guessing this might be a bit of a challenge! Any words of advice?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Shevs - it's hilly, but not too bad. From what I remember there is a fairly steep but short hill after about 3 miles and then a stretch of gentle uphill - just a bit disconcerting because you can see everyone stretched out ahead of you. Then mostly flat I think. It is a lovely route though, and great food at the end!
  • Options
    Oh dear- snow again!

Last week and this are turning into a super-taper.

I only ran 10 miles last week, 5 miles of which were a race on Saturday.

I wanted to do a longish (8-10 miles) run tonight.

Maybe it'll thaw by then.

I did my 5 mile race in 41.35, so I'm hoping I'll be on for a sub 90 minute run at Arbroath...if the aerobic capacity survives the reduced mileage of the last 2 weeks.

How're the rest of you doing?

Lookin forward to the race...and the food afterwards!!!!

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'll be anywhere near 90 minutes! More like 100 I think.

I did do 42 miles last week though - that's what happens when you move your long run from sunday to tuesday and then do another one on sunday....
  • Options
    Debbo

I'm impressed with your mileage. Are you managing to run injury-free at the moment?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    FF - Forgot to say - well done on your speedy 5 mile race! I'm managing not to be injured, but do have a variety of niggles that come and go and keep me from running for a few days at a time. See you on Sunday. I'm coming up with Fiona. You should be well under 90 minutes shouldn't you!?
  • Options
    I hope to do under 90 minutes, but I have concerns about my stamina at the moment, so I'll be surprised (pleasantly) if I'm much under the 90, and I'll try (badly) not to be too disappointed if 90 comes and goes and I'm still on my way round the course.

See you on Sunday- Is Mr Debbo coming up too, or is it just Mr Fifer and the boys for coffee at the supermarket down the road?
  • Options
    Oh- and the snow's thawing rapidly here, so I reckon the club run might be on tonight after all.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    FF - Bryan isn't coming - it'll just be me and Fiona. What time are you aiming to get there?
  • Options
    10 ish- time to get my number and do a bit of a warm-up
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    OK - see you there!
  • Options
    Just looked in my diary, seems I'm weekend on for this one too! Never had an entry anyway so that decices that one for me!

Also woke up at 2 this morning with the most dreadful earache, which has since affected my sinuses and I'm feeling awful, which is why no club run tonight! Should be backshift but doing a three day course in Stirling - that was fun getting there this morning from Perth!

• Options
    Had to hand back my entry as I fell in the bath on xmas day (may I add at this point I was completely and utterly sober). I was getting ready to go off and work night shift. I didnt realise at the time but I had cracked ribs ...... ouch.. I am only now running again and very slowly I may add. Breathing is still bitty sore but improving day by day... I have also decided not to to London due to lack of training....... It aint the end of the world.... I am trying to talk work mates to come and watch with fire engine on the day as I am working to that day..... so we will give you all a cheer as you pass out and in ...... good luck to everyone