Cardiff Marathon 2005

Comments

• Sodahead-Well done, I think I saw you on the results as 2:49. Don't think I saw 'Dangerous'. I did notice quite a few runners start at the front who shouldn't have been there who got in everybody's way in the first 1/2 mile. The runner I followed through the park section was making me chuckle, it was hard work battling through the half mara crowds but he was getting a little hot under the collar with more than a few runners.
  • hi matt how is the hip
  • Will be testing it out at circuit training tonight. It was fine at last night's suicidal swim session so hoping for the best.
    Congrats on your 25th mara. Don't think i'll be doing another this year, unless I find a nice friendly off road LDWA type event to do.
    Are you doing the Bells of Pattingham Sunday? Meant to be a lovely 7 mile mt race.
  • er no
    i have another marathon
    pity-cos I really want to do that race one day
  • Good luck, which mara?
    Have you joined a running club yet?
  • Abingdon
    er not yet
    but i saw you stourbridge nutters out runing in the rain last niight
  • I also saw them from inside my dry warm car. I would have joined them if I wasn't injured, honest:) Went swimming instead, although in last night's weather I don't think there was much difference between running and swimming.
  • Mornin all . Well I am itching to get back into training . I have had 3 days off , 3 bottles of wine and some great grub . After my last mara I took 10 days off , drank and ate too much and struggled first time out so want to avoid that .

Having thought things through , I have decided to enter Luton Marathon on the 4th December even though its a 3 lapper which I think could play tricks with the mind . As I work there , would not make sense not to do it really .

Need some advice . Luton is on the 4th December , which if you dont count this week is 7 weeks away . Given the training for Cardiff , I am tempted just to go straight back to big mileage and long runs at the weekends of 20-22 etc , as well as following a 3.15 schedule ( I did 3.38 cardiff). My questions are , is it too soon , do I need a longer brake than this week and could I increase my mileage/speed work in 7 weeks to get to 3.15 or am I being too optimistic ?
  • Good luck Taff Boy with your training for Luton - can't answer your questions!!

WP - big lots of luck and stuff for Amsterdam - hope it's a good event for you

Hippo - good luck for Abingdon - I don't know how you persuade your body to do this week in/week out - amazing!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    WP - as long as it isn't on your shoulder

Points taken about about gun/chip times, especially that about using chip times for GFA places (but doesn't FLM use the "official" gun times for such purposes?) Haven't seen the results in the Echo yet but I am sure the published results will be gun times. Anyone know? I think chips should only be used in mass participation events, to avoid confusion. I mean, why on earth does the Tewkesbury half marathon use them?

Tinribs - I probably overtook you in the closing stages. In the last 8 miles or so I only let 2 people overtake - a guy in a dayglo vest who was storming and the lady runner in long white socks with whom I was just about keeping in touch. I was in the vegetarian running club green-and-yellow strip.
  • LeviLevi ✭✭✭
    Taff boy- Luton is Ok, i did it last year-went off too fast on the first lap and the temptation to drop out before the 2nd was too much. i wish i had stuck it out as it would have been another one under my belt, trying to catch up to hippo ;)

Back to training today, a slow 3.5 miles, felt as though i was back at the 16/17 mile point on sunday getting slower and slower.

I need to get signed up for another one, but it could be 6 months away(or more) Might try a half marathon for a change?

• Afternoon all - some more great reports, making great reading!

No running here - just rest...

WP & Hipps - best of luck for your races this weekend!!!

Taff Boy - I've never done another marathon so soon after completing one, but it looks like there's some good advice from Hal Higdon here.
  • Hi all

Tim well done on your first mara. How annoying about your result not appearing. as Hipps say's I'd contact them. But you know you did it and you know you did it well too, despite some negative comment!

Rio and Duck girl I can't even remember what was in the goody bag or what I did with it!!!! I was focused on getting my medal!!

WP - how's the '''taper''' going? Are you being good and taking it easy?

Hipps - I just can't imagine going out there and doing another mara this coming weekend - big respect and the very best of luck.

Great report Wilde Will.

No running here either, but I am pleased to say that today - I CAN WALK (and go up and down stairs) - yippeee!!

The problem is I'm already getting twitchy, which is absolutely ridiculous as my tootsies are still in a bad way! I have promised myself that I will take a break and try and sort out my achilles, so I must be a good Scoobs, but I can see this is not going to be as easy as I first thought!!

Can't wait to start training for Paris, I must be banana's.

Thanks for all the well done's too. Hubby says thanks. He said never again, but now he's thinking of doing Paris too!!! He took all of 2 days to change his mind.

How are you Soda?

Blisters are you walking up and down stairs unaided yet??

Happy - restings/runnings!

Scoobs

• BTW - great link T&T. Hal also does a rather nice post mara come back programe that I have my eye on for when I start up again!
  • j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    T Rex: Thanks. It was definitely a learning experience for me and I cant wait to do another. Im running a half-marathon a week sunday so not long till i hit the road again! :)
  • Afternoon all,

Taff boy, glad to hear your ready to go, whats the closing date for Luton Mara I'll be down that weekend for the town vs reading game and am wondering about staying down for the run? Is it fairly flat or a bit of a climb. I reckon there's a sub 3-30 in my legs at the mo!
  • oh dear

are we all decamping to the l;uton thread then?
  • I eventually had to ask an official where to put my chip at the end and she said that although they weren't insisting on us handing them over it would save Barnodoes 20p if they were so I handed it to her to add to her small collection.
  • T Rex, I can distinctly remember seeing the back of a veggy running club vest, after being overtaken, and thinking that I'd never heard of the club !!!
    As you say, it was very near the closing stages.
  • HIPPO and WP - Good Luck for this weekend I really don't know how you do it.

TAFF BOY - Good on yer for entering Luton couldn't tell you how you should train that doing an mara is something that I dream of but will tk efor ever to do,

Well my legs are working well tho I am not running for a few months as I promised Chiro that I won't run agin till my legs are fixed as its swiming I go (2nd one 2day) and then I will go out on the bike over the weekend.
  • I'm not doing LUton!
    t rex - do you actually have to be a member of VCAC to get a vest? I've thought about it but given that I'm already 1st claim to York Acorn, 2nd to Bridgend, and run for the uni too (not [yet] UKAA so it doesn't count) then I think taking on another would be OTT. Would quite like a vest though mostly for advertising purposes in non-club races.
  • Next BIG Problem - I have been CHALLENGED again to do next years half mara in 2.30
  • How the heck am I going to get 40 mins of PB. I know that its ages away but do I gather that if I carry on running all year round I will achieve this. Or do I need to do something super special to achieve it.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
  • you will gently
    you will
  • Gently does it, 40 minutes represents a huge percentage off your PB, especially if you work it out from the basis of the world record of 2:05. It may be possible, over a reasonable period, but even Tracey Morris .....oh, you said half marathon.

In that case, yes. You can.

3:10 HM to 2:30 HM.
    I would suggest that it can be achieved with training...say 25-30 miles/week? I would also suggest that the odd shorter race to keep your interest up. The most important training session is still the long run. Try alternating 8 miles one weekend, 12 miles the next.
    We'll have you down to sub 2:00 in no time..
  • Scooby: Stairs are quite easy now.

Has anyone else noticed their legs twitching? My knotted muscles are pinging themselves straight again!
  • Sounds like everyone is recovering very nicely. Its great that the race has fed so many of your running and racing "fires". Teeing up the next race already - just brilliant.

Unfortunately I cannot include myself in that group. Still very lame in the left leg and my groin - yeeaooww.

I had a look at my racing trainers today. The heel sole of the left shoe is almost worn away :(

GDI, pick up a schedule and keep doing what you are doing. There is no real magic formula just your own desire and determination to improve. And as Duck Girl suggests, join a club.