Cardiff Marathon 2005

Comments

• Duck girl, probably a bit more tapering next time would have been good!

Hipps well done on 26th, don't think I could have managed another marathon so soon. Hope you're going to have a breather now?
  • no
    wel
    yes

beachy -for fun-2 wwweks
    than Luton i dec
    on call loads of nov-no races planned
  • Hi all, especially Gently and friend and Duckgirl from the Model Inn on Saturday night.

Sorry haven't posted since the run, busy bee at work!

What a great event wasn't it. Funny how those lovely Autumnal parks on the first lap were replaced by hell on earth the second time round isn't it! Actuallt it wasn't that bad the second time, just a slog while looking forward to the finish.
    Did 4:04 which I was chuffed to bits with. Went through 20 miles in 3 hours flat so as you can see the last 6 miles were a struggle. Learnt from it though and will break 4 hours next time - London hopefully if I get through the ballot.

Some great running from everyone on here, well done to you all.

Golly.
  • Gently - started training again last night . I took a full week off to re-charge the batteries and start again . 7 weeks to go and 20 miler planned for Sunday . Did 4 last night and they hurt . Legs are still heavy from Cardiff . Out with the club tonight , so hopefully that will push me along .
    Anyway , time to sign off on this thread and move to Luton's . I wish you all well with your running , especially Gently . I know you can break two hours . Enter a few more races and build up to it .

Anyway , toodle pips until next year .
  • Hipps
    Its not the number of marathons or even the time devoted to training, what about all the time taken to keep up with all the forums - would beat me
  • Well just come back from hols and just reporting in to find out how cardiff went for everyone.. All in all seems to have done what or if not better than expected well done to you all.

Blisters, if it's any comiseration....

I had a mare, even felt at mile it felt too hard. Went through the half at 1.38. Hello that was 1.38, far too slow, but as quick as I could possibly manage. Then picked up and thought I could end in 3.15, nope that was blown too and the wheels truly came off at 24 when I had to walk. No excuses, I was just weak. Crossed the line at 3.41. Ten minutes slower than London!!
    Next day my calfs ached, but apart from that was ok.

No excuses, although last four weeks were quite ropey in quality miles.

I know I have a sub 3.15 in me and so have entered Luton for december 4th. Been running whilst on holiday in spain for the last week everything feels good and in working order.

Put your smile back on and get out to Luton, I'm gonna have a storming run.

• I'm currently in the repair factory, taking it easy/fun until Christmas, when I restart the 20 milers.

Next time I'll use a proper schedule.

I think that I did too many soft runs, especially the LSDs.

Anyway, here's my best photo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Blisters you look very handsome and looking well in control in your photo:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Anyone want to enter the race? I have two spare numbers through injuries...
  • george
    ????

nice pics people
  • George. Which race would this be? I hope you're not talking about the Cardiff 2005 marathon, cos that would be kinda funny. If you did a sub 4hour race starting right now the total time would be about 282 hours....You might still beat those hen-night women doing the half though...?
  • ???
    george b's one & only posting seems to have been on here to say that.
    ???
    Really nice pic of Mummy Duck & I going round the barrage bit smiling :)
    she is training for merthyr mawr christmas pud now! oh no, what have i started...
  • I should have been in control. It was at mile 3.
  • Blities you have convinced me to change my pic. I'm a bit shy and kept thinking shall I shan't I? Totally ridiculous I know, but I have now clicked the button so it will appear soon!!! May have to click it back - we'll see!!

It's so wierd you saying about following a schedule as I was just saying exactly the same thing on training, although I was talking of using a schedule to use to build back up into running!

what do you mean 'soft' running? I thought you did some really good LSD runs!

George We've all obviously dreamt that we ran Cardiff on 9th Octobet and tomorrow (in true Dallas fashion) we will all awake to find oursleves in the shower having realised it was all a dream......

• scoooby

so why amI scarred on my back
  • Cause you are in a dream (silly) <<scoobs is the only one that really KNOWS these things>> as loved Dallas!!

How'd you get scarred on your back, that sounds SORE - ouch! I had nice gash from faithfull old running bra that is no longer considered faithfull and ditched!

OOOH and I had the most fantastic time watching hubby throw up as i disected disgusting toe, but I don't spose I'm allowed to go there! That was a satisfying moment though!

mara wounds eh.........

so tell old scoobs all about your back as sounds right nasty
  • you shoudl see it(bra scars)
    i wept at bathtime
    multiple marathons is worse

toe?

oooh do tell
  • SCOOBY - If I wake up tomoorow and found it was all a dream and I have to do the run again, I suppose I would try to be sick a bit quicker and get a better time. tehe

HIPPO - your running injury sound really bad I would just veg out in your PJ's for the next week until it gets betta.

I'm off for a 6 mile walk round Margam Park on Sunday with family in aid of Cancer Research so hopefully I will of got rid of the cold by then and I will be raring to go (lets pray for good weather)
  • gently
    i will
    but i have permaent sacrring form the bra
    owt over 5 miles does it
  • Oooh Hipps that sounds REALLY painfull. Flippen hec why do we girlies have to put up with such contraptions!! I never used to have a problem with bra rubbing, but run up to Cardiff seemed to bring this on, although nothing like what you have had it must be said.

OK then, now are well all sitting nicely with sick bags to the ready....

During Cadiff my feet (along with everyone else's I'm sure) began to hurt (a lot). At about 14 miles I thought a toenail had come off - I discovered later it hadn't.

On post mara inspection (as we all do) I discovered that I had 2 lovely blood blisters underneath the nails of my right foot. (Big Deal!). No worries there, I knew they'd just go black.

BUUUUTT on my left foot the whole toe was bruised, not just the nail, and it was extremely painful and very swollen.

Anyway needless to say I didn't sleep to good that night!

The next day i was hobbling round like a good un. The root part of my toe was all swollen up, so the next day......

<<scoobs gets comfy to tell her tale>>

I decided the nail had to come off as it was causing the root to inflame. So I pulled at it a bit and then yelled a bit, then inspected it to see how I'd progressed. Eventually (after hubby had passed out on the floor), I managed to prise it off, (it was heading that way anyway). I discovered (as it was already in a bad way before the mara) that 2 other nails were trying to grow underneath of the top one. No wonder my tootsie was screaming!! So when I pulled them all off the blood was spurting quite nicely all over my lovely clean sheet and hubby was then running to the bathroom (having come round) and retching!

Most satisfying!!

And now tootsie is nail free, no longer swollen and no longer painfull - absolute bliss!!

• why didnt you just heat a needle and PLUGE it in
  • Ladies, PLEASE!!! <faints>
  • ROFL - I couldn't do the PLUNGE thingy because there were 3 nails there and no space underneath and it was the toe not the nail that was all inflamed!! I was gutted about this I can tell you as that would have been even better!

Sorry tandt man.

<<puts t&t man into recovery position>>
  • you WUSS
    lee
    slapppppppp

scoobs
    was there a lot of blood
    did it SPURT
  • hipps bra solution, get some blow em up implants then you can just deflate them for running....WAYHAY prob sorted!!
  • Yeah it did SPURT good and proper, that was the best bit!!
  • scoobs
    what do i do with the lumps of fat o my chest though
  • Thanks Scoobs.

Just had the most *horrrrriiible* dream full of ripped-off toenails and plunging needles...

Err, wotchameanitwasn'tadream? :-o

<swoon, ker-thump>

• SPURTING toenails!!?!?

Please Noooooooooooooooooooo