Cardiff Marathon 2005

1151152153154155157»

Comments

• Regarding drinks, I ran 17 1/2 miles in training off of one runner aide bottle of water and 1 gel. Hadn't quite planned that though as thought I'd stop on route to pick up water, but I was so into the run I couldn't bring myself to break it by stopping. It was definately not enough, for me, though as I was gasping when i finished!!

For Cardiff I took LS like Poppy in a run aide bottle and also used the water stations as and when I felt like it. I ditched the LS as got so sick of the taste! I took 3 gels, but to be honest I literally had to force the last one down - they are so horrid! Yuk!

But I think I got the fuelling right this time.

Just need to sort the head....

SamtheMan I am SOOO jealous of your lovely run!

• RippedD - sorry to hear about your race, gosh i hope my third attempt next year goes ok!

Had you tried out the gels/drinks in training? Might be worth while trying out a few different ones if that's what you think it was, as of course you must now do another marathon to lay that one to rest!
  • i suppose i shpuld try this one agai
    4th time lucky
  • A reasonably trained runner will carry enough fuel (thats water and cards) to propel them 16 to 22 miles - it depends on weight, velocity and level of fitness.

Before FLM I did a 20 marathon paced run (just over 2 hours). I weighed myself before the run and again afterwards and noted that I lost just over 2Kg's. This is fairly typical for me but the maximum fluid input I can "safely" take in is only 200 to 400mL's per hour. Anything more and it cannot be absorbed into the body and lies in the intestines and stomach (if it actually has time to get these).

Think before you drink ;0)
  • You can play with cards while running if you like but you will use CARBS :/

I hate typing early in the morning.
  • I usually get round training runs with a bottle of LS and don't feel too bad. Just seem to drink more in marathons because its there, and all the advice about hydration comes flooding back.

Scoobs, it was a lovely run, and had another good one early this morning, blow the cob-webs away. Am off swimming too later, lovely.

• anyone know any race calanders for planning running
    I came accross
    http://www.aims-association.org/Calendar.htm
    cardiff wasn't on it.

my knee is still sore - so right decision made. I have been told will take 4 - 6 weeks so I will go for a tentative run in about a month
  • I am terrible with taking on fluids when running. If I take more than half a mouthful I suffer with terrible stitches. I also suffer if I actually drink direct from a bottle or take a gulp or anything like that.

The only thing that seems to work for me is to take water at each station, pour some into my hand and slurp a handful. I do that two or three times and then that's it for that station.

Just a little each time and in small amounts.

WildeRover
  • Boo
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP, not thought of starting up the thread for 2006 yet...or is this one just going to last and last til next year?
    Any ideas on running another marathon, or has the experiences of Amsterdam lasted you enough?
  • Sam

I was waiting for a date for next years marathon first!!
    Not sure I said never again BUT I like training for marathons I like everything except race day....so I guess that means I will do a spring or Autumn one.

woudls also like to go back to Amsterdam I have unfinished business there!!

i love my schedule that coach gives me I always feel so useless without a schedule and left to my own devices i am my worst enemy.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP
    Far too sensible.
    Everyone says never again, and then has second thoughts about that. I'm like you, in that I like having the schedule and targets to meet. Maybe we should just do the schedules and get the sense of achievement, but not bother to run the thing.

Going back to Amsterdam would be a mental challenge for you. I was thinking about Rome in the spring and possibly an American run next autumn, possibly Chicago or even try to get into NY.

Early time for a post, thought I was actually out running at that stage. Had endured really bad Thursday, with new shoes and new printer not being delivered (both which I needed) and two really bad lectures (well, the first guy didn't turn up) and I didn't understand anything in the second one.

So, was determined to have a better Friday and as Mum needed to be up at half five to be steaming Xmas puddings by 6, I got up too and had a run. Really strange being out at that time running, but since no-one was around, peaceful in its own peculiar way!

And so far...its not turned out too bad
  • Sam
    I should say I posted after I had been for a run:-)
    had 2 days when I have been so exhasuted not able to get out of bed and i am sl;eeping 10 hours a night been like this since marathon.
    So coach demanded i run this morning for my sanity;-) but my RHR is through roof and run was hard but hoping It will come back down soon.The thinking is I still have the virus that I had just before race would also explain a few things.
    Actually this is the 1st time i have said never again everything had gone so well in training races times so all look good and I guess that after all my really hard work to just get a pb by 5 lousy mins seems harsh to say the least but I think I can say I am ready to try again:-)
    I did think rotterdam but unsure
    and also an Autumn Marathon
    I know what you say about mentally challenging I have had 2 failed attempts at FLM and find it hard to go back again ......I only want to go back when I get a GFA entry it is too crowded for me!!

I like that we can all get gold stars for sticking to our schedules:-)

hope today is a better day for you after yesterday nothing worse than sitting through lecture when you dont have a clue!!!

are you doing the 10 miler in pembrey on Sunday? you can enter on day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sam

Sensible me I think lots would disagree;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hey Poppy: stop beating yourself up again. You smashed your pb by 5 minutes.

This marathon thing is as much mental as physical, you've got to take the positives. It's a rare beast that runs the marathon exactly to the game plan. Mostly they go t1t5 up sometime after halfway. You made some really good progress on the back of a difficult build up. I guess that you are on one of your physically drained cycles at the moment. You, of all people, seem to suffer more than most. The dedication is there, without doubt. A little confidence is needed now and again. You know that you feel less than perfect. So lower your sights. I'm not telling you what to do now, as I'll only get into trouble.

My experience for what it's worth:
    - Nobody is "undertrained" they just have a different performance target.
    - I can overtrain by building up my weekly mileage, intensity, max distance and speed, by more than a certain percentage. But I only know I'm there when it's too late.
    - A 2 month layoff (due to laziness) meant that I restarted a bit behind from where I left off, but was back at peak in 3 weeks by taking it steadily.
    - I currently feel paralysed, and am finding it difficult to take my own medicine. I know what's best but am making slow recovery because I keep going out to see if it's fixed yet.
    - My own mental strategy and desires will need addressing. Reaching beyond my limits (on the day) caused a most spectacular failure.

Put a smile on your face ;-)
    Or I'll find that photo of you racing BR again........
  • Hmmmmm, Poppy..........

A 5 minute PB and still hacked off, I ran a PW at Cardiff and was delighted. I knew I would get lame at some stage it was just a question of when - and if I could hang on.

Hang on I did and from that point of view my race was a triumph.

And for everyone else who pushed their bodies and minds over the 26.2 miles and crossed the finish line they were winners. THEY WERE WINNERS. WE ARE ALL WINNERS.

You see 26.2 is an athletic challange that is far beyond most people. Its like the commando's advert on the telly "99.99% need not apply".

Now after all the running and racing you have completed recently you should be taking a rest. I am into my 3rd week of not running now - my body needed the rest from all the training. But, your coach is telling you to run and you are obviously well below par. I can't see the sense in this, I really can't.

Don't run until your body is ready to run. That means when your resting heart rate is NORMAL then go out and do an easy couple of miles. You have a fantastic aerobic and cardio vascular base in place and, trust me, this does not disappear overnight, or over a couple of days or even a couple of weeks. I am champing at the bit to go out and run but the three weeks non running has done me the power of good. Mentally I want to run now. Physically everything is ticketyboo as well. Its been months since I felt like this.

Do not be afraid to take a week or two off. As Blisters said above, you lose a bit but it soon comes back. And you are all the better for it.

Please, please listen to you body.

Soda
  • Good advice, Soda & Blisters - someone once wrote that the trick is training at "your optimum not at your maximum", and I think that that pretty much sums it up!
  • Yeah, and one day I'll learn.
    Surely Poppy it's time to say "Kill the thread"

We've got the photos, so the traditional end has arrived.

Are you going to be the official owner of the 2006 Cardiff marathon thread?

Of course we expect that it should be bilingual. You are bilingual aren't you?
  • oh I never expected such response as I was only answer Sam but thank you you guys are very kind and thoughtful and have give good solid advice:-) so I thank you!!

Blisters stop it me racing BR that is so funny;-)
    Are you running FLM as your next race?

Soda
    You are so sensible and right I shall listen to my body

Hope you are feeling lots better and planning your next target?

have started new thread for everyone to jump onboard:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP,
    Hope you are feeling better? I'm struggling to balance running and student life commitments at the moment, with the result that I'm feeling as worn out as when I at work!

Perhaps that's my problem...i'm just burning the candle from too many ends

• I am starting to feel okay more energy and run for 7 days on the trot but had to rest today!!

Sam

Try to get more sleep relax and take things easy.

I am sleeping 11 hours a night and doing me the world of good!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good to hear it WP.

Am taking day off myself, put the feet up and do some reading, watch the rugby this afternoon.

First essay crisis has been overcome, I'm sure it wasn't as difficult first time round!

Lucky you on the sleep front, I'm barely managing 8 at the moment. Nevermind, I never was one for long nights sleep!