Options

Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Options

Morning all.

We exchanged cards and I got a little heart shaped tin with 4 chocolates in it.

Dave - good luck with your run. How far are you going?

• Options

Morning everyone!

I ache like mad today from all the effort yesterday - shows I worked hard eh?

Hope you all have good runs today image

I am taking Sox to meet her prospective new owners today at 2 image If all goes well she may go with them there and then so I have been packing stuff up for her image

• Options
    Roobs - How all goes well with Sox today.
  • Options
    ~~~((Roobs and Sox))~~~
  • Options
  • Options

(((((roobs)))))

well i managed 7 mile walk with OH yesterday and then did 4.9 miles this morning in 52 mins, it was hard work but good to get out again. my HR climbed steadily throughout though so obviously still not quite right. will see how this week goes and decide about brighton at end of week.

TS if i pull out of brighton you could have my number and chip if you wanted. not going to decide til friday though.

my OH is not romantic - told me he'd been too busy to get card or flowers but that the thought was there!image i cooked us a nice supper tho and we had a bottle of bubblesimage

who has raced today?

• Options

Sorry about Sox Roobs.  Why did you have to give Sox away - is it too difficult when you're at work?  Is she the retired grey hound?  Well done on your 10K yesterday - I'd love to do a 10K in under the hour - haven't managed it yet.

No running today for me - a bit hung over image  LTJ and I went for a 3 hour walk on the downs though while young son was at a birthday party.  We took brie and crackers and olives and had a romantic -  if a little chilly - picnic on the top of Chanctonbury ring.  Lots of runners - would like to try running the route but need to get some trail shoes - quite slippery.

• Options

(((Roobs))) - Just remember those kids happy faces.

• Options

Hi All

Just read about Sox i am so sorry Roobs, although for what it's worth i think you have been a most responsible dog owner and fingers crossed that Sox will be happy in her new home! And hopefully that will give you happiness as well!

I ran just short of 14 miles today was supposed to be 12 but came the long way home, my legs felt very heavy and i think that i'm ready for a sports massage (booked for Wednesday) however when i came home at about 11.30am i had a drink and took a milkshake upstairs while i was stretching, had my bath but then came over feeling sick and couldn't eat anything, tried some left over pizza warmed up but just couldn't face it - have managed 6 jaffa cakes image and lots of water. Feel better now but still not hungry. Does anyone know if there's anything that i could be doing better or is it that i am just running more miles and my body is not used to it???? Any advice/knowledge is appreciated!

• Options
    Nicky - I feel like that when I do really long runs and marathons. I did 16 miles last Sunday and after my slimfast and a mug of tea I did not fancy eating at all. What did you drink or eat on your long run today?
  • Options
    I had my Nike belt with 4 bottles on (i call it my Lara Croft belt!!) 2 with water in and 2 with lucozade in i just about drank it all and i had a SIS gel at 8 miles.
    1hr30 mins before the run i had porridge and 1 slice of wholemeal toast - should i eat more before my long run??
  • Options

Nicky - I try to have a bowl of cereal and two slices of toast. For my 12 mile run on Friday I had 2 SIS gels and  a bottle of water. For my 16 mile run I had 2 SIS bottles and a bar of chocolate. I hate chocolate because I left my run too late after having my breakfast, due to trouble with the our postman. In the summer when training for Beachy Head marathon I need to drink more so I take out my cambelbak with energy drink in it and some mars bars.  I did 7 miles this morning without anything.

When I do a marathon I have two bowls of porridge.

• Options

Nicky - you probably just want something sweet to get some energy back - some chocolate or a biscuit is fine or some dried fruit.  I would think you had eaten enough before the race and kept hydrated during it.  Personally, I can't get on with gels - they make me sick, so I eat jelly babies.  Have you drunk 2 bottles of lucozade during a half marathon before?  I quite like it but I know some people don't get on with it in large quantities.  How tight is your belt?

I've just entered the Worthing 20 mile race on 5th April - good prep for FLM - anyone care to join me?  And I've entered the Bognor Prom 10K in May.  I did the latter race last year and it was brilliant - really well organised with warm up massages before the race.

• Options

evening all.. roobs sorry to hear about SOx but you are doing the right thing for both of you (((())))

I had a pretend valentines day to day instead of yesterday and we had a really great day.. I took OH to GoApe in Leeds castle which is like an assault course in the trees... zip lines, cargo nets .. the lot.. so was a challenge for me with vertigo but i stunned myself and really enjoyed it! exhausted now though! was a much better day image now legs are tired from yeserday and my arms from today!!! 

• Options
    My bottles on the belt are quite small i can nearly fit 1 bottle of lucozade into 2 bottles and it's comfortable but tight enough not to move - rarely feel it to be honest as i do find it comfortable. I do think that i need to drink more and probably need to fill it up half way round - will start putting some money in my belt to buy supplies on my way round
    I don't need an excuse to try the chocolate afterwards though - image
  • Options
    <passes Nicky a bar of chocolate> image
  • Options

Nicky, it's good to try gels and energy drinks if you will use them in races, to see how you get on, but I don't find that I need to take a drink or food at all for up to 10 miles at this time of year. All you can do is experiment and find what suits you. I usually have muesli with fruit on top for breakfast, whether running ot not.

((Roobs & bootsie)) we do get so attached to our animals, so it is really hard if they are ill, or we have to let them go.

Haven't managed too well with running this week, as I was travelling for work rather a lot. Managed a VERY WET 5.66 miles on Monday including 5 x 600m fastish, then 4.36 on Wednesday, then nothing till today, when I did a slowish 8 miles. Working from home next week, so will hopefully do a bit better.

We were really pleased yesterday, as we got the Waitrose 3 course Valentine's meal, advertised at £10, but ended up paying £8, as the main course (Tuna steaks with chilli and lime butter) was reduced, and we got that discount too! Meal was yummy, and we also bought some pink vintage Cava to go with it.

• Options

Hi All,

Did 13.2 miles this morning in the end,....visiting various parts of North London, Barnet, Muswell Hill, Highgate, East, West and North Finchley.

Ended up running to my parents the long way round as the needed their loft clearing out for inslation next week. Luckily my brother - in - law had done the clearing out so I just had to carry stuff to the car and onto the dump......great fun right after a long run.

PLease i did it after so little activity with the snow and a cold...did take 2 hrs 17 mins but really I just wanted some time on my feet ther than set a good pace, that can wait for another day!!

Son is just having his bath then IM gonna jump in as feeling it a bit in the legs right now...( I did shower at my mums so not stinky now!!) 

Groin was a little stiff when I got up to leave there though....!!!  hoping a warm soak and some ibruprofen will help...

One thing, when running I started to get a pain under my right foot....as if something was digging into it...but couldnt see anything......any ideas??

• Options
    Dave - when is your next half marathon? That is a good time for a training run.
  • Options

Hi Tracey,

thanks...did it on my own with no music!

Doing Hastings on the 15th March, then Reading on the 29th March. Would like to do another in a couple of weeks but there arnt many in this area....the nearest one is full up!!!

• Options
    Dave - Hippo is doing Reading Half marathon image
  • Options

I am now getting excited about next Sunday's race image Looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time.

• Options

Dave - watch that pain the the foot - it could be the start of plantar fasciitis which is a bugger to get rid of............. Usually flares up when there's an increase in training image If it continues, roll your foot around on a golf ball - its really painful at times - or freeze a plastic bottle of water and roll your foot back and forwards on that. Other than that its stretches.

That's if its pf that is!!!!!

Might be worth pinging an fmail to cabletow on fetch - he's a doctor and very good on that sort of thing.

• Options
    Lyndy/Tracey - sorry. Will get back to you later in the week.
  • Options

Evening everyone.  Back from mum's and relaxing with a lovely G&T - very much earned I can tell you.

Long Tall Sally-Anne http://justgiving.com/sallybromley1 wrote (see)

Sorry about Sox Roobs.  Why did you have to give Sox away - is it too difficult when you're at work?  Is she the retired grey hound?  Well done on your 10K yesterday - I'd love to do a 10K in under the hour - haven't managed it yet.

No running today for me - a bit hung over image  LTJ and I went for a 3 hour walk on the downs though while young son was at a birthday party.  We took brie and crackers and olives and had a romantic -  if a little chilly - picnic on the top of Chanctonbury ring.  Lots of runners - would like to try running the route but need to get some trail shoes - quite slippery.

Sox is Roob's mad labrador.  She's lovely, but so lively and excitable.  Must need endless walks to tire her out, hence Roobs having to find her another home with someone who has the time to take her for those walks.

Ooooo Chanctonbury Ring - you know what happens there don't you LTSA imageimageimageimage  I Love it up there too. Which way did you go to get up there.  We used to go up at the back of Steyning and walk all the way round to Cissbury Ring and Findon.  Down into the pub at Findon for lunch and then climb back up onto the downs to Chanctonbury Ring and back to Steyning.  Don't know how far it is, but I love it.  I used to do it every year on the Activities Week we organised for the St Dunstaners.  Even though they were blind or partially sighted they still used to enjoy getting up on The Downs.

I thought I might do Worthing 20 as well LTSA, but am waiting until nearer the time to enter.  Can't remember if they do entries on the day.  If they do I will probably do that.  The only problem with the Worthing 20 is that it's 4x 5 miles laps and you have to keep passing your car.  Very easy to drop out if you're feeling pooped.  I quite like the idea of the Bognor one too, but, again, will wait until nearer the time.

Off to put my feet up now image Knackered after the weekend looking after mum.

• Options

evening all.. chilling out at home now image feeling ready to take on brighton next sunday! The 10 miles yesterday tired me out but i feel ok about sunday ...

Got my acceptance to the great north run which i'm really excited about! has anyone done it? not sure best plan for getting up there .. whether it would be flying or driving.. not till september so i have some time to think about it.

• Options

Sorry about Sox Roobs.  I had to let my Boxer dog go to a new home when I got divorced and could no longer look after him because I had to work 24 / 7.  It's very hard.  Here's to all the animals we love and have loved!

It would be great if you could do the Worthing 20 Lyndy - it's the Sunday I should be doing one anyway, so I'm hoping I'll be motivated because of that.  You could always come to Worthing by train and I could pick you up and drop you back to the station - no chance of going back to your car then image  I think you can enter on the day.

• Options

Sorry to hear about Sox Roobs, she was lovely when I met her.

Nicky - I did a 30K race today which started at 11.  I had porridge with honey at about 8.15, drank about half a bottle of Lucozade Sport on the way and had a cereal bar while queueing for the loo at 10.45.  During the race I had gels at 5, 9, 13 and 17 miles just as I would in a mara and took on water at the stations which were roughly every 5K.

Something obviously worked 'cos I ended up with a 11 min 15 sec PB image

• Options

Ah, Roobs. Sorry to hear about Sox. Friends of ours have just gone through the same experience with their beagle. ((((((big hugs)))))

I am utterly POOPED out today! Feeling a bit flat, a bit lardy and generally blurgh. HArumph! Still, nothing a bath, hot chocolate and bed can't sort out.

I've not run at all this week - will just have to count the walks little man and I take as training! Oops! Will have to bring a bike to get me round NF10 at this rate!