Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Delia & Katypie - Kierrah went to a childminder from the age of 3 months. She had 2 childminders both for about a year at a time. The first one had another baby and moved away and the second move to Northampton. Then she went to a day nursery which I found better in the long run, as if the childminder was sick or  when they went on holiday you had to find someone else to look after her. The only time her day nursery was closed was for Christmas which worked out well for me as my dads business closed for Christmas. Kierrah had a great time with both childminders and day nursery. The first one she was only a baby and the second one use to day her and her younger son to mother and toddler groups and to the park. The day nursery taught Kierrah to write her name and lots of other things. I have a folder somewhere in the loft which recorded the stuff she did in nursery.

• Due to my dad business going bust when Andre was 6 months old and ended up a stay at home mum. Both options worked for me. I took Andre to mother and toddler groups.

• Morning all.

Sorry for going on a bit there. Just hoped I help your both.

• We'll get there and it's good to know that you have all been through it.  Feck knows what I'll go back to with things being the way they are - will everyone still work there or been paid off?  Will I be doing the twice the work?  Hubby and I work for the same company which is a bit stoopid in hindsight.  We just have to hope that we are both ok.

Mr KP was really sweet and made me feel better by saying that as Bert will be an only child he needs the interaction.  I knew he was just making me feel better but I appreciated it.  He's a good lad my husband.

Got paid today so managed to pop more money away for when i am off.  Trying to get a couple of mortgage payments together.  WTF did I do with the pennies before?  It's good practice cos once Bert comes that'll be nursery pennies image  

Being grown up is hard.  I am in so much trouble I am in my jim jams and should be getting my fat, lazy bottom into work.  Too image  I'm going to have to take the car and pay exorbitant parking 

Happy Wednesday people 

• Lol, KP, sure does teach you exactly where your money goes!!!!  Can't believe such a smal person costs such a lot!

We had good news here in the week in that Mr C can work from home now instead of having to commute to London twice a week, it had gone up to £50 a trip and we were struggling!

• Cinders - does that mean you will have more chance to go running now. Well it should help training for Abingdon.

I have just realised that there is no District Line from on my part of the the line. You would think Transport for London would cancel if for marathon weekend.

• Yep it does Tracey, am planning to try out running club on Mondays as well as Thursdays and Mr C wants to come running with Thomas and myself on Friday lunchtimes with the jogger image

Hope they don't cancel lines on marathon day!  In fact they should put more trains on, I remember in 2005 being shoe horned into a train out of London Bridge, it was awful and one elite lady missed her start!

• Morning everyone

Cold doesn't seem to have manifested itself so fingers crossed it was just pretending image

KP - I was a stay at home mum with my boys until the youngest was at secondary school, then I worked 9 - 3 so I was at home when he came home from school. With regard to kids going to nursery/childminders though I would thoroughly recommend it. I have some grandkids who were kept at home and some who went to nursery and those that went to nursery were far better grounded when it came to going to school.

I think that these days so many children have to go to nursery so that parents can make ends meet that those who don't are a lot farther behind in their development when they do start school.

Nurseries and childminders are no longer just a place to leave your children, they have a constructed programme they have to follow to prepare our little ones for the great outside world.  He/she will have a whale of a time with their little friends and won't miss you one little bit.

• 3 miles completed this morning.  Must shower and then I have two neighbours' boys to look after for the day as their mums are working this half term week.  I've bought balsa wood gliders and we're off to the park.  Really mild here this morning - no need for hat and gloves on the run.

KP I was lucky that my college had a creche and I only had to pay a nominal £60 a week for full time child care from when son was 4 and a half months old.  The college ran nursery nurse courses including degrees and there were always loads of students on hand to give him one to one attention.  My older daughter went to a child minder from a year old.  We lived in Cornwall then and again I was really lucky to find a local farmer's wife who was absolutely fabulous.  She was more mumsy than I'd ever be, plump and cake baking, loads of painting and flower pressing and story reading - daughter did end up with a bit of a Cornish accent though for a while!

• Oh - typical of London Transport and the rail network in general to cancel trains on FLM day.  I can remember it happening on a couple of occasions, but there are always plenty of trains running from Central London as they do put "specials" on from there.  It's those coming from outside who have the problems.  The last time I did it the trains from/to Brighton were curtailed at Haywards Heath and we had to get a coach from there back to Brighton.  After hanging around in the pouring rain for about half an hour we opted for a taxi.  Cost us £20 but it was worth it as I was absolutely shattered.

This year we are travelling up on the Saturday so I can go to the Expo and not coming home until Monday morning.  And, we're staying right near the finish so no problems after the race image

• Must admit on the baby front I would like a mix of both for Thomas, I know I am lucky to be able to stop at home with him but do want him to go to a couple of sessions a week as he probably will be an only child and needs some company, I'm thinking of going to college or something in September, not sure what to do yet though.
  • Cinders - since inductions on the minimum wage the price of playgroups has gone up. You are only free place the term after your child turns 3. So in your case you will only get one term free.

Katypie - I am not even dressed yet. I have done a lot of ironing. Andre has just gone in the shower. I need to have one and wash up then do our lunch.

• With E my OH was on long term sick leave so I went back to work at the end of the paid leave which wasn't long then and he looked after him.  Then he retired and went to Uni when E was 17 months old so we had a childminder.  Saw 2 who on paper were the same but one just felt better.  He stayed with her till school when she gave up anyway.  She now runs the drama group that A goes to!

With A he was back working.  Considered the local nursery but was going to need someone for E after school as no after school club then.  Talking to a childminder in the playground about him and she asked what I was doing with the baby.  I thought that she was already looking after 2 small ones but didin't realise one was moving on so she took both of mine!

• Bridget - I went to one childminder and I had this feeling that I didn't like her, just didn't know why. Later on was talking to someone about this childminder and they said she take them to toddle group and just didn't look after the kids. Kierrah's 2nd childminder was brilliant, but I looked at someone at another one and she had only broken, crappy toys. After number 2 moved away, I was having trouble finding one. I was on the waiting list for our local council nursery, but they still did have anything. But they told me about this new day nursery that had opened. It ony opened about 6 weeks before Kierrah went there. I had an indoor and ourdoor playground (it had a covered roof but the open on two sides).

I am so glad that my kids are older now as the cost of childcare has gone through the roof.

Bridget - are you enjoying half term?

• My training schedule for FLM says 7 mile speed work tomorrow image  LTS doesn't do speedwork.  Is this silly just before Sussex Beacon?  Sussex Beacon could just be an LSR for me - I'm hoping to plod round quite happily in around 2 hours 20 mins, there's no way I'll be anywhere close to a PB ( 2 hours 10 mins ) but should I be tapering and ditch the run tomorrow?  Or do a short run and ditch the speedwork.?  I think you can tell I'm just hoping to avoid the speedwork! 
  • id say do a short 3 miler at a relaxed pace maybe and definately ditch the speed work! or cross train!
  • LTSA = I did 5 miles on Monday and 3.22 miles last night. I will not be running until Sunday. I would only do about 3 miles tomorrow and just see how close you can get to your pb on Sunday. I want to beat 2.21.39, so maybe we could run together.
  • Hello all

Been bowling with my son this afternoon as I coudln't persuade him to watch the shopaholic film with my daughter and her friend! I'm feeling very coldy again so won't run this evening.

Sounds like the FLM training is comming together for those of you taking part!

Cinders (and anyone else doing Abingdon) which training programme are you planning to follow (if any)?

• Hope you're feeling a bit brighter soon MWW.

Thanks Bootsie and Tracey - I'll ditch the speedwork tomorrow and do a gentle 3 miles.  I'd love to run with you Tracey - see you at Lindy's balloons opposite the baggage drop on Sunday - I'll try and get there at 09 15 - time to say hello to everyone and still queue for the loo.

• Ah yes, the loo queue!!!

MWW, going to work out realistically how many sessions I can fit in each week and either go with Shades 3 times a week plan or the sub 4.30 (I can hope he he!) off RW

• I decided to go out for a very gentle slow run ...4 miles at about 11.50 pace. feel better for getting out but will probably regret it later!

Cinders - I followed Shades 3 times a week plan for FLM last year. I would love to finish a bit quicker in Abingdon, but I just can't seem to increase my speed at all! Sub 4.30 seems within your reach.

LTSA - don't overdo it- enjoy a gentle 3 miler!

• Cinders - are you getting excited about Abingdon. You can use NF10 as one of your long runs image
  • Evening all!

And......

Morning Slugsta! We seem to appear at opposite ends of the day!!!!! lol image

In short:

Both my kids went to childminders from an early age and then nursery. They loved it image Perhaps I was such a crap mum they were relieved to get away from me image

LTS - definitely wouldn't do the speedwork so close to race day. I am going to do 5 slow miles tomorrow evening on the way home from work and then thats it til Sunday.

Still not heard back from VICTA about the flm place they offered me...... I emailed again from my work email address today and still nothing.

The undergound system seems to be undergoing some sort of overhaul at the moment and there are bus replacements all weekends...... doesn't surprise me at all that they aren't going to give flm weekend a miss.

I sent Lyndy a text picture of the view from my desk today to make her feel jealous- Tower Bridge was up for a boat with tall masts to go under; I can just about make it out.

Fink that's all!

• tracey - at work all week but actually will be nice the next couple of days as most of my staff are off so I can sort things in peace image
  • Hi everyone.

Have now met 2 childminders so getting a feel for it...ish. Will be going back to work in 6 weeks (max) and that's only stretched that far because they can't look after Dumpling til he's 16 weeks. It's making me a bit tearful thinking about leaving him with someone else so soon but bills have to be paid!

Still no running from me but I saw the funniest workout dvd at the library today - Bellydance Core Conditioning - and I couldn't resist it! Haven't done it yet but it looks like it could be worth a laugh!

Speaking of laughing - get this for stooooopid!...Walked to town today with the small one and, as I had a pretty warm jumper-dress on under my coat got a bit warm so took the coat off and slung it over the handles on the buggy. Went along with my errands, blah blah blah, got ready to go back out later on today (once I'd been back and fed Jack etc.) and realised I couldn't find the coat. How odd I thought to myself. Then I had an awful feeling I must've dropped it on the way home earlier on. I couldn't believe that I would have done it and not realised. Anyway, as I was going out with my mum I thought I'd drive back the way I'd walked and ...there, hanging in a tree by the bus stop was my coat! I felt like such a plum having to pluck it out of the tree and jump back in the car!  I probably looked like I was stealing it or something! Must've been in another world on the way home! image

Anyway, on a more sane note, Roobs, the view from  your office sounds lovely!

• Didn't notice the bridge was up Roobs - will have to go and have another look now image

Where are you staying on Saturday night Cinders - you might not need to worry about the loo queues if you are not too far away from the start.

I'm planning on getting down there around 9.  Left it too late last year for us all to meet up and I do need to get the balloons set up image

Really looking forward to meeting up with everyone, but worried about covering the distance.  Don't think I've ever been so ill prepared for a race in all my life image

• Lyndy - how did you get on with the back lady? Can you get a Thomas balloon for Thomas please image
  • well got off my backside and went to my dance class.. wasn't really in the mood but got rid of alot of nervous energy i think.. came home and just sitting here with some baileys... again oops.. fingers crossed it works like last night and i sleep again.

• bootsie - I wondered where you were.
  • Nabs a bit of baileys, could do with a good night's sleep!  Well done on the dance class bootsie image