Options

Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

ooh - shall we run 'virtually' or whatever it is!!?? image

• Options

Hello all

Hope the parkruns go well! There isn't one close enough for mew to make it at the moment!

I managed a 9 mile run this morning, 1hr41mins, slow I know but included some hills so not too bad for me! I have been struggling with the heat and some niggles, but trying to slowly increase get the mileage nowimage

Have a lovely weekend everyoneimage

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Did my Parkrun yesterday, was good and well organised, great that you can just go along image

My result came through at 28:23 which I'm sure was short, I timed at 29:19 so can't see where the minute went!!  However, I'll accept their timeimage

You're 2 miles further into your long runs than me MWW so well done!  I don't mind hills really but they can get you and really slow you down can't they?  There was a very slight incline at the Parkrun, quite noticeable on the 3rd lap!

Did you do yours Cinders?

Oh and by the way, so many bits of my body were aching from my Step & Tone class, didn't make any difference to my run, in fact it may have done me good and loosened at all up.  Will do the same class next week and hopefully not be as achey!

• Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭

I did 33.18 yesterday which is a post-Ted pb for me image I dream of doing sub 30 lol image

Well done TS image

• Options

image Well done Roobs xx

Won't be starting running for the next couple of weeks, but have got Benson the Beagle so lots of long walks which will be useful as a warm up for the running that I MUST get my @r$e into.  You never know, I might just be able to get him to run along side me after a few days, but at the moment he zigzags too much when I run with him and always puts the lead into his mouth when he's running on the lead so not condusive to running at all.  Need to get him trained to run in a straight line and leave the lead alone!

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Didnt make the parkrun, Thomas gave us a rare lie in so we overslept! Never mind, did do a 6 mile run/walk yesterday image

Well done Roobs image

How do you train a doggie to run in a straight line? image

• Options

Err, not sure about that one Cinders.  I'll let you know if I find out image

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Lol, could try it out on Thomas too image

• Options

Oh, you've got one of those too have you.  My grandson Jesse was a nightmare when he was little - walked twice as far as anyone else when we went on a family holiday to Florida because he zigzagged everywhere!

• Options

I've runned image

Only a little bit, but it was good.  Don't know how far it was either.

Brought Benson an extendable lead today becasue the little devil kept running off and not coming back so got the new lead so he can still have a good old sniff around but not get away from me.  Much more relaxed walking with him today.

Walked along the cliff top to St Dunstan's, about a mile and a half, then down the steps to the undercliff.  As we were walking along there I thought I'd try running with him.  Not exactly dressed for it, jeans and jacket and my "every day" trainers are not the best running ones, but we had a good run.  Probably covered about a mile in total in beteen the odd sniff.  Benson enjoyed it too, ears flapping in the wind image

So from now on al dog walking will be done wearing running gear and I can run or walk as much as I feel like. Not going to wear my Garmin just yet, just get myself going gradually, so that my the time he goes home I'm ready to get down to it properly image

• Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭

I did a 16m very slow long run on Saturday and I still have DOMS! lol

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Roobs - tennis with Andre help with my Seven Sister DOMS.

• Options

Hello all

Quiet on here!

Robs - well done on 16 miles...a very long time since I went that far! Hope the DOMS is easing?

Tracey - I like your remedy for DOMS!

I have been trying to build up my mileage, did a 10 mile LSR last weekend, and trying to do at least 2 runs of4- 5 miles in the week with some tempo/speed! Struggling a bit, still fining I can't do speed and have to walk quite a bit, but will persevere. Might have to miss a long run this week as have family commitments and can't seems to find a way round it!

Any races planned for the Bank holiday weekend?

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I'm the opposite MWW!  Speed is OK at the mo but can't seem to get the distances in!  My own fault though image

• Options

Hello - can I join please.  I am desperately trying to complete a marathon in sub 5 hours in October.  It will be my first and will be a case of pushing my mental block that keeps saying stop.  I am sure I can run faster than I am but not too sure how, so I am going to meet a nice man who can hopefully tell me what I am doing wrong and give me some advice to stop jogging and start running.

xx

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

For a start, in reality there is no difference between jogging and running, I think there is a rule something about feet off the ground etc etc.  Jogging is perfectly acceptable, my first running club was Portsmouth Joggers and some of them were anything but joggers!! image

What is your current pace per mile and how far are you up to?

We have all done marathons on this thread, some a couple of some of us a few more so you're in the right place!  I haven't done one in years now and am entered for a half marathon in Oct so am working ym way back towards that distance.  As I said earlier, I really have to get my ass in gear and get some miles done!

• Options

I agree about the jogging and running, but sometime I feel like I am going fast and other times not so much.

I  am upto 13miles, but at a pace of about 11:30 /12:00 i guess.  Not sure how much further I can keep that pace as I extend the distance.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

A pace of 11:30 would bring you under 5 anyway I think image  Are you saying you are getting too tired to keep going after 13 miles or is that what you are up to in your training?  Each increase always feels impossible but it does just add up eventually.

Are you doing any interval training, i.e. short runs but with bursts of speed for a 100 metres or so, or hill training.  That will improve your general speed.

I think you need to get the target time out of your head, it sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself, if it's your first, just aim to get round feelng comfortable.  

Come back with any more queries - we are good for adviceimage  All been there and done that and moaned about our speed/tiredness/crap runs etc etc image

• Options

Thank you,  that is where I am up to in my training.  This weekend will be 14 or 15 which will be done tomorrow.

yes I do some intervals or hills each week, would it be better to include both in my training plan each week?

i went to see the nice man today and he has got me focussing on two main areas, relaxing my arms and shoulders and lifting my knees as I seem to be running almost with straight legs.  I now need to practise running like that so I can run more efficiently.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

How was your run this weekend?

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Found out this morning that painting ceilings loosens my legs getting up and down of the chair for more paint. Just as well as no space to roll my legs.

always trying - welcome image What marathon are you doing?

• Options

Abingdon, hence the 5hour panic!  5:30 seems more comfortable, but I need to exit comfortable for once!

Weekend run disaster, hurt my leg image but managed 5 miles comfortable at a 11mile pace last night.  Looking forward to a long run this Friday though.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Abingdon was my first marathon in 2005 ????

• Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭

Hi always trying image

I did my 18 miler at the weekend. I think I could have done the last two miles faster if I had got down on all fours and crawled lol!

• Options

Ha ha ha, I know that feeling roobarb!  But you did it and that's what counts!

i am looking forward to a long run this weekend mentally I am prepared to run it which I think is good!

• Options

So how did it go AT?? image

I did a 10 mile run last night and honestly it killed me, no idea why, maybe it was the hills or the speed but whichever it was it was a struggle!  I incorporated it in to my Monday night club run.  I did 4 before we met and then did 6 with the rest of the club which was a good job, otherwise I would have givn up and walked!  I was already worn out at about 5 so not sure what it was.  Hadn't been feeling too great the last couple of days, headachey and sicky feeling so maybe that wss why.  Everything ached when I was running, ankles, knees, quads, hammys, back, shoulders - the lot really image  Had a lovely warm bath when I got in and had a good long sleep.  Legs were stiff this morning but OK now.  Why do we do it eh??

You're doing great with your running Roobs!

Heading to USA on Friday, back in Nov! 

• Options

TS - well done on your 10 mile run. When is your half marathon,

• Options

what a great thread!!! I would dearly love to run my next marathon at 5 hours, but my first was 5.45 so Im a long way off!!

• Options

Hi Deirdre, my first marathon was 5:54 at the age of 40. Finally got it down to 5:07 this year at Brighton ????

• Options

Ran 10 miles tonight.  Have to work out why my shoe is bruising my foot and giving me horrific crap at the end.  The run was good though and I felt positive during it.  Some cheesy tunes helped me out!