Sub 5 hours

Comments

• Just 12 miles planned for me today. Going to start increasing my Sunday run now. 5th week of 5 runs a week just being completed!

• Wow. I came on to see if the thread was still going! I've not posted for three years image
  • Well done all. I'm up to 8 miles now and ticking along nicely. Thankfully my hip was OK after falling off my bike so looking forward to next week's 10 miles. image

• TS - well done on your half. Keep up with your running and you will knock a chunk of that half time.

MWW - please be careful. My legs are tight after Sunday's 8 miles in 1:22. So I'm rolling and stretching for England.

How did you 12 miles go Paul?

leeee - well done on your 8 miles. 

Katypie - how are you and bump?

• Took two hours thanks. Carried a litre of water in a small backpack to start getting used to some weight. 

Did a two lap route round footpaths and small lanes. Second was with my head torch on.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning.

Nice to see you KP and TS image

Some good running going on image

• Interesting that you do laps, Paul. I have a phobia of laps, they mess with my mind and make me upset! I'm much better running in a straight line, turning round at half way, and running back again!

• I very rarely do laps. Try to find one circuit or more often do there and back like you. However, just fancied it, and as a slowish run was fine. Might do it again.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Been back out a few times since my half, I can do faster speed, just need to get my act together and do it.  Need to organise myself a few races so I keep at it, otherwise it tails off again and I end up doing more cycling.  May do another half in a couple of weeks, see if I can knock some time off.

Good to see you again KP, been faaaaaar too long since we've seen you.

How's your running going Cinders?

Hello Paul and Leee image  

• RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭

Not been on for a bit image

Hello people I've not seen before image

And hello everyone else image Nice to see you again KP image

Training for Brighton and London under way. I am still very slow though. I'm still carrying extra weight that doesn't seem to want to come off. That's quite hard on my knees. I did 10m on Sunday and will be out doing 12m this weekend. It's going to be a case of plugging in my music and slogging it out lol!

• Hi Roobarb. image

I'm very slow too - did 8m in 1:30 at the weekend. 10m this weekend is on the cards. I too am carryign extra timber. At least 4 stone of it. image I've lost 9lbs in last 3 weeks though so it's something I'm definitely working at.

Does anyone else look forward to/enjoy the long weekend runs a lot more than the shorter midweek runs? I really struggle with the midweek runs - think it's because I'm tired after work etc and it's cold and dark, wheras the weekends are generally light and have more time around the runs.

• Urgh. Running in the morning before breakfast is HARD! I did eat a banana before hand. Struggling a little to get my 5 runs in this week so had to go out this morning.

Yes, I prefer the long weekend run!

• 10m run this morning. Woudn't say I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed finishing it and it was a perfect day for it.

• Hello all

Some great running going on!

I am up to 17 miles for LSR, but going to struggle to get the long runs in for a few weeks as my husband is going to be away quite a lot from next weekend! Decided to drop Brighton and just do London, not because of the running but because of family. Taking two weekends away in a row will be too difficult!

• MWW - maybe I will see you at London Marathon. Bernard is running it after getting injured training for it last year.

Ran 16 miles in wind and rain today in 3:03:42

• Well done with these long runs. I have a 16 miler lined up for Saturday.

Interval work in the rain this evening. 1 mile jog with striders, 10 times 400 with 200 recovery and 1 mile jog to finish. Was hard, but glad I did it. My interval pace is getting faster. Yay.

• Only 8 weeks to go til VLM. 13.1 miles done ths morning in 2:28. Training not going to plan but hoping I can do just about enough to get round in sub 5 hours. PLEASE!

• Was it a race this morning Lee?
  • No Paul, just a run round York unfortunately.

• So, my penultimate long run is upon me(/us?).

18 miles.

My training hasn't gone to plan at all - a poorly 12 week old baby means it's been difficult to get out an about, but looking forward to the big day, no matter what time I do it in. Would sincerely love to be sub 5 hours, but understand if that is not possible.

Has everyone got their race numbers through? I'm 19661 - quite a good one for a big football fan!

• I always glance by this forum, thinking I'll tempt fate if I enter!!  But I'm hoping to get a sub-5 hour (6th time lucky!!) at Brighton this year.  I managed to to 20 miles at race pace last weekend which I was really pleased with, and then this Sunday did the Surrey Spitfire 20 in under 4 hours and it was blimin' hot and quite hilly!!  So hoping that after 3 weeks of tapering, a flat course, and if the weather goes back to being a bit cooler than the recent heatwave.... I should hopefully manage it!!

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Think some of our old regulars on here are doing Brighton Aizxana image

Think my marathon days are long gone image

• Hello all

Aizxana - sounds like you are on target! I was going to do Brighton this year but have decided against it now as I have London the week after and nursing some injuries, hope it goes wellimage

TopSec - I don't think I will be doing another after London!

• Hi all. Nearly London marathon week. Woowoo.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭

Hello everyone image

I'm doing Brighton Aizxana image

Not a hope of going sub5 at the moment as I'm still struggling getting back to full fitness. Its taking so long image

This week, I have been so tired and short-tempered this week. I've never been like this in the run up to a marathon but I've been assured by others that this is typical of taper madness lol!

• 8 miles done today. Felt OK and was 30 mins quicker than my marathon pace. I don't think I'm going to hit sub 5 hours so I just wat to make sure I enjoy the day.

• Making sure you enjoy the day rather than keeping your head down and focussing on a time sounds like a better option to me.

• Hello all you Sub 5hr hopefuls. I'm in the same boat as you. I train so hard and diligently follow Hal Higdons beginner program but have never in my last 3 VLM's 'REALLY'  broke the 5hr barrier. IN 2010 I came in at 4hrs 59min 16secs. 2011 - 5hrs 6mins, and 2013 I crossed the finish line in 5hrs 8mins. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis in my feet and hands and suffer quite badly at the 16/18 mile point. This is when I have to break into the Run/Walk method. This year, I am going to use the Run/Walk method from the beginning. (I'll wear a little notice on the back of my running vest to warn those behind me to stay clear). I have been using this method for anything over 8 miles in my training and hope that I can achieve a constant 10min : 45sec mile. My feet still hurt on the longer runs but this method makes it easier. No doubt that we Sub 5hr runners will meet up along the way. I'll look forward to that. The very best of luck to all of you. Fred -the-Vet (Age 64).

• Wow, Fred, some great going there. 10:45 walk/run is a great pace. I am hoping for 11.15 (with 11.25 fall back) but we will see what happens.

Very best of luck, Fred. If you see me, do say hello. image

http://i.imgur.com/Cj69yGT.jpg

• Yes, sounds good to me too. But, you have broken 5 hours. Any time under 5 breaks 5 image My pb is 4:59:33 back in 2002. If I recall correctly, that was a run walk strategy. Hoping to do roughly 11 minutes miles if possible this time though I expect I will 'break down' at some point and walk. Keep a look out for a pink lady apple called Paul.